shape
carat
color
clarity

King Charles has cancer

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad he's getting the best care money can buy.

Summary​

1. King Charles has been diagnosed with cancer and began treatment on Monday, Buckingham Palace says
  2. The Palace says the cancer was identified during the King's recent hospital treatment for a benign enlarged prostate
  3. "A separate issue of concern was noted," the Palace says, and "subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer"
  4. The Palace has not said what type of cancer the King has been diagnosed with
  5. Prince Harry has spoken to his father and will travel to the UK from the US in the coming days
  6. Charles, 75, has been advised to postpone public duties, but will "undertake state duties" and continue to meet Prime Minister Rishi Sunak weekly
  7. He is being treated as an out-patient, and is at home in London on Monday night, the Palace says
  8. Watch our coverage by pressing play at the top of the page

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not going to speculate which type of cancer, just wanting to wish HM a speedy recovery.

DK :))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a sign of a more transparent monarchy that they announced he had cancer rather than the ambiguous statements of the past such as when the Queen was dying of bone cancer and they said she was having "mobility issues."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't 'transparency' chip away at the royals' rarified 'special and magic' status?

Royals, especially the monarch, making themselves more like commoners may chip away at public support for "the firm".

Most former European monarchies are now republics.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn't 'transparency' chip away at the royals' rarified 'special and magic' status?

Royals, especially the monarch, making themselves more like commoners may chip away at public support for "the firm".

Most former European monarchies are now republics.

and the happiest places list released often (under different formats) , also include those Euro countries that are still constitutional monarchies consistantly in the top ten, Sweden. Norway, Denmark, The Netherlands - oh and NZ is usually in the top ten alongside the Scandies , King Charles is our King too
i just randomly googled this list
https://www.forbesindia.com/article/explainers/happiest-countries-in-the-world/89435/1
i think -and what do i know? - but releasing this info stops some of the speculation and the 2nd son was bound to leak it anyway so at least this way the palace can set the narritive

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not going to speculate which type of cancer, just wanting to wish HM a speedy recovery.

I woke up to this DK
i cried
it was just such a shock

but my boss at work, her husband's life was saved when his postrate cancer lead to the discovery of kidney cancer that was successfully treated and all is well today

i too am not speculating what sort of cancer the King has, its not our bussiness and HM can still perform the constitutional stuff that his role requires, i too also just wish HM a speedy recovery and also strength for Queen Camila and the rest of the royal family - please no more stress on the King from inside his family

I am reminded that when George V was very ill in the '30's and he recovered and they asked who saved the King ? and im not sure who said this but the answer was The Queen (Mary) did

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Insider info says bladder cancer which is also my guess.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
The great equalizer, eh? Even Kings aren't immune.

Cancer doesn't discriminate, but I have to admit, in this case... when you think about it, the Queen died from cancer, her father died from cancer, and now her son is diagnosed with cancer. It's getting to be a bit excessive.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cancer doesn't discriminate, but I have to admit, in this case... when you think about it, the Queen died from cancer, her father died from cancer, and now her son is diagnosed with cancer. It's getting to be a bit excessive.

Unfortunately some cancers are hereditary. Breast, colon, prostate cancer, pancreatic and ovarian cancer can be hereditary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... the Queen died from cancer ...

I read that somewhere, but wonder if it was just yet another example of juicy fake news going viral because it's so juicy.

I did an, admittedly, quick search for her death from a reliable source.
I couldn't find one that stated cancer.
But I did read that the cause on her death certificate was "old age".

I often wonder why we never hear the news report that cause, though arguably it's a true cause.
Actually, the cause of death is ........ he died, the heart stopped, the brain stopped getting oxygen, etc.

Anyone here care to post a link to an authoritative source stating she died of cancer?

BTW, I think half of humans get cancer during their lives.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately some cancers are hereditary. Breast, colon, prostate cancer, pancreatic and ovarian cancer can be hereditary.

... yet another reason to not give your DNA to Ancestry or 23 and me!

When giving blood for medical tests, I would never give permission to test my DNA it for medical issues, even to my doctor.
Data gets hacked, stolen, and sold.

I'll betcha life insurance companies know they'd be much more profitable by knowing whom to not insure, or whom to charge higher premiums.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I read that somewhere, but wonder if it was just yet another example of juicy fake news going viral because it's so juicy.

From what I recall, there was a biography released that stated it. It hit the news some time back.

I did a quick search and this is a quote from an Independent article:
"Although the Queen’s official cause of death is listed as old age, Gyles Brandreth, a friend of Prince Philip, has claimed Her Majesty in fact succumbed to a rare form of bone marrow cancer.

Mr Brandreth’s claims have been revealed in a new biography, Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait, in which he writes: “I had heard that the Queen had a form of myeloma — bone marrow cancer — which would explain her tiredness and weight loss and those ‘mobility issues’ we were often told about during the last year or so of her life."

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Health information is considered as private and personal and not for sharing without the expressed consent by the person involved, regardless who you are.

That's what I work to, as a HCP as well as on a personal basis, regardless of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) in UK/EU.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When giving blood for medical tests, I would never give permission to test my DNA it for medical issues, even to my doctor.

I'll betcha life insurance companies know they'd be much more profitable by knowing whom to not insure, or whom to charge higher premiums.

There is valuable health info in these reports which has the potential to help the individual greatly. IMO, for me, the benefits outweigh the risks. And it is private so unless hacked (or you give permission) there is no reason to believe you will suffer from others knowing this data. Of course there is no guarantee and it comes down to each individual weighing the risks vs benefits for their specific situation.

I understand the decision not to go forth with the DNA tests however. It comes down to what you feel is best as with everything.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock

I totally agree, Kenny. The large, top notch medical center and clinics in my state which I employ have been hacked 2-3 times in this past year. I just got a settlement check from the first hacking where some patients sued and it went to class action. (It was a tiny little check..)

I was notified about a month or two ago that they were hacked again and my personal information was part of that which was stolen. I've had to monitor credit ratings and put an alert out and watch any financial information plus all the other personal info lost. I am p*ssed, to put it mildly. A tiny, little check will not make me any happier for the position I am in now. Ugh.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

Or coded into their DNA like many of us? My Mother, Grandmother, aunt and brother had cancer so I've always been cognizant of how my lifestyle can influence my gene expression. It may seem excessive because they are very public figures but sadly, as with my family, not unusual.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Or coded into their DNA like many of us? My Mother, Grandmother, aunt and brother had cancer so I've always been cognizant of how my lifestyle can influence my gene expression. It may seem excessive because they are very public figures but sadly, as with my family, not unusual.

I am not the least bit interested in disputing the scientific truths behind this. My statement comes from a purely emotional point of view. Regardless of if it’s usual and hereditary, it’s excessive. And unfair to the people who have to live through it. Your family included.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I feel for all the other people in the UK who have cancer and are waiting months for treatment on the NHS, but ole Charlie boy, gets diagnosed last week and is in treatment by Monday and it gets plastered all over the front pages of just about every UK newspaper. (I understand that people who can afford private healthcare could possibly also access treatment this quickly but it wouldn't be so blatant and therefore not in such stark comparison to the people who cannot access treatment.)

I'm sorry the man has cancer and I feel for him and his family having to go public with it, he will never be able to escape from it. You can imagine that from here on every person he ever meets will desperate to express how sorry they are to hear his news and how hopeful they are of a speedy recovery. The poor guy will never hear the end of it.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I am not the least bit interested in disputing the scientific truths behind this. My statement comes from a purely emotional point of view. Regardless of if it’s usual and hereditary, it’s excessive. And unfair to the people who have to live through it. Your family included.

Are you in the UK? I'm wondering if there is a cultural misunderstanding between us? I'm confused by your meaning behind the use of "excessive". Are you reacting to the care they may have over others?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in the UK? I'm wondering if there is a cultural misunderstanding between us? I'm confused by your meaning behind the use of "excessive". Are you reacting to the care they may have over others?

No, English isn’t my native language at all. So it might also be that, the cause of the misunderstanding. I mean it in the simplest way possible - excessive, too much. People shouldn’t have to go through so much of it, “it” being cancer.

Maybe my personal experience also plays a role in this. I’ve lost those most precious to me to this illness. And I don’t care if someone is a king or a beggar on the street, if someone is affected by it, I sympathise.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
No, English isn’t my native language at all. So it might also be that, the cause of the misunderstanding. I mean it in the simplest way possible - excessive, too much. People shouldn’t have to go through so much of it, “it” being cancer.

Maybe my personal experience also plays a role in this. I’ve lost those most precious to me to this illness. And I don’t care if someone is a king or a beggar on the street, if someone is affected by it, I sympathise.

Ahhh, ok! Now I understand. Yes, I agree. I lost my Mom to it. I take comfort that many win the battle against it (with proper care and early detection), but it still robs us of our loved ones. For that, I hate it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

the late Queen's father was a very heavy smoker and the Queen lived a good long life, as did King Charles' father and also his grandma the Queen Mum,
the Queen's sister died quite young but she was also a smoker

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel for all the other people in the UK who have cancer and are waiting months for treatment on the NHS, but ole Charlie boy, gets diagnosed last week and is in treatment by Monday and it gets plastered all over the front pages of just about every UK newspaper. (I understand that people who can afford private healthcare could possibly also access treatment this quickly but it wouldn't be so blatant and therefore not in such stark comparison to the people who cannot access treatment.)

I'm sorry the man has cancer and I feel for him and his family having to go public with it, he will never be able to escape from it. You can imagine that from here on every person he ever meets will desperate to express how sorry they are to hear his news and how hopeful they are of a speedy recovery. The poor guy will never hear the end of it.

HM is our King too, and it has been front page news ever since he went in to get his postrate (excuse spelling) sorted , at least our media are using the more quality UK papers for their stories and not the tabloids

the palace is between a rock and a hard place, tell us nothing and have it leaked, tell us a little and then we speculate, it doesnt seem fare to Charles the man, that his personal health details are being disscused by the general population at all
But Charles the man is also Charles the King of not just the UK but 14 other realms
My Dad died of cancer at 53, im quite upset that the King has cancer but hopefully it has been discoverd in time and he will reign for a good few years yet

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Somewhere it was stated she had multiple myeloma. My grandmother and aunt died from this so I understand the symptoms. It causes a great deal of bone pain near the end. The Queen was very stoic to the end. I applaud her resolve to keep serving her country.
Edited to realize I meant to quote your previous comment.

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
There is valuable health info in these reports which has the potential to help the individual greatly. IMO, for me, the benefits outweigh the risks. And it is private so unless hacked (or you give permission) there is no reason to believe you will suffer from others knowing this data. Of course there is no guarantee and it comes down to each individual weighing the risks vs benefits for their specific situation.

I understand the decision not to go forth with the DNA tests however. It comes down to what you feel is best as with everything.

I get why people wouldn’t do it. I’m going to do it though at some point, because I was an egg donor. I’d like families to have the option to gain insight/information should they want it.

I’ve heard enough from recipients that I felt it was the right thing to do. Lots of differing views on this though!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
50% of people get a cancer of some kind in their lifetime and the biggest risk factor for most of them is AGE.

Whether the Queen had myeloma or not is somewhat moot, it may have contributed to her death but she may just as likely have died from something else, a stroke, or heart attack or kidney failure, for example.

Charles is 75, which is not young. Average male life expectancy in the U.K. is around 80. It’s not surprising he has developed this, but he is lucky it has been caught early (according to our PM, Mr Sunak). It sounds like it is quite treatable, whatever it is. Anyway, I wish him all the best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results