shape
carat
color
clarity

Kindle price has dropped to $189

Date: 6/22/2010 9:07:32 PM
Author: Gypsy
Reading on the nook is MUCH better for your eyes than a backlit laptop screen.

I don''t find that to be true for me. E-ink hurts my eyes.

Date: 6/22/2010 12:50:36 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Using HTML 5 allows this to happen without forcing the downloading and installation of plug-ins and other applications, a big disadvantage of the iPad.

I don''t understand or get what you are saying here
33.gif

Jobs is in favor of HTML5, and will never support flash- which is the disadvantage, but already I''m able to read full websites with video (html5) on my iPad with no problems and it''s only been out since April. There is no downloading or plug-ins needed... with html5 but even if you visit a website with flash, you simply can''t download anything to view the video (another thing that people complain about.)

But as far as the iPad as an e-reader, that doesn''t involve downloading anything but the book. You can''t pinch and zoom (at least, yet) but it does have a substantially larger screen that can be viewed in landscape (2 pages at a time, like an open book) or portrait mode (one large page at a time), and is always in color. The screen can also be dimmed if needed, font size changed, or even font families switched out. You can also change the page color and text color. I don''t own an actual kindle or nook, I can only get the apps on the iPad, so I am not aware of all of it''s features, but the iPad can highlight (in color and it looks just like a highlighter) and can bookmark, and add notes corresponding with the highlighted portion w/ the date it was entered. You can also search your book for terms, or do a google search right while in the book, or wikipedia, OR if you don''t know the meaning of a word you can tap and hold and get the dictionary definition.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was under the impression that Apple wasn''t utilizing html 5 for the ipad.

Here is a recent quote from him which can be found here

Steve Jobs took a snipe at his old familiar foe, Adobe''s Flash, stating, " I want to make something clear. We support two platforms: HTML5 -- it''s a completely open, uncontrolled platform. And we fully support it. Anyone can write HTML5 apps. The second one is the App Store. It''s the most vibrant app store on the planet."

Here is another link http://simonwebdesign.com/steve-jobs-html5-will-kill-flash/

snippet:
Steve Jobs had a town hall meeting and answered questions from Apple employees brave enough to ask tough questions. Concerning Flash there was nothing new. Jobs doubled down by basically saying HTML5 will kill Flash:
About Adobe: They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info SB. I don''t claim to be an expert so any educational info is welcome!

I''m happy to see that Jobs is taking a more "open" approach to the platform because as you know, Apple has received a lot of flack about the perception of it being a closed platform.

Personally, for me, the iPad is MORE than I need right now both in functionality and price tag.

Yeah honestly, I think with nook and kindle dropping their prices it will put a put more pressure on Apple to lower their prices. They usually always do it (eventually). The price could stay the same for the lowest GB model ($500) but I''m guessing the memory would increase (32GB?). It would be really great to see html5 as an universal platform though- so regardless of the phone, computer or tablet (or iPad) that everyone will have access to everything. Once that breaks down I hope to see prices drop across the board since no one would have a stronghold on a certain part of the market.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results