color
clarity

Kindle or Gem?

Which would you choose?

• Kindle

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which would you choose for a belated bday present?

The newest Kindle from Amazon

Or

This 1.8ct garnet (I''m a january baby)
minty333.jpg

For those of you who have the newest Kindle, I''d love to hear thoughts :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bigger photo of the garnet, I''m a little worried that the edges are so see through...

mintybig.jpg

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
KINDLE!!!!!! I would probably vote kindle anyways... but more so since the see through edges would really bother me. I have a sunstone that is super vivid, red-orange, but it can go peachy-orange around the edges and it bothers me sometimes.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know if there''s anyplace I can go to try out a Kindle? Do Best buys and stuff sell them?

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the garnet because it''s beautiful and I don''t want a kindle. I hate the idea of it. So, I''m biased, but it is a beautiful stone and won''t become obsolete or give you eye strain...

Love the garnet!

Jen

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Kindles rock the house
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you LOOOOOOOOOOVE the stone, go with the stone. If I loved a stone, I wouldn''t let it go, since Kindles are mass market and not exactly hard to come by.

But if you have to ask...Kindle! (although keep in mind that it will probably go down in price at some point this year.)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still in the dark ages relying on the entertainment provided by old-fashioned books. Garnet gets my vote.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Tgal for the tip! I''m leaning more towards a Kindle, I might just wait a while to see if the predictions of a price drop due to the ipad turn out to be true :)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I voted Garnet... why? b/c I hate Kindle.... There is nothing like the smell of pages.... the sound of them turning.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kindle!

I bought a garnet last year for my birthday (January baby too!) and had it mounted in an old ering setting. I seldom wear my garnet even though the ring is beautiful. I tend to wear the same jewelry everyday, so I put on the rhr hubby bought me years ago instead of the garnet.

I got a Kindle for Christmas and use it every day. Love it! While I was waiting in the dr''s office yesterday, I pulled it out of my purse, downloaded a book in seconds, and got through several chapters before getting seen by the dr. I love that!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
MTG- I am pretty darn sure it is the same stone. The color actually is very pretty and accurate, but I specifically asked him about extinction which he denied up and down
29.gif
annoying! Looking for the photos now; don''t think I deleted them!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kindle! The stone is pretty though, but I still vote the Kindle. I have the US version of Kindle 2, BF got the Global version yesterday. Obviously I love it
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I have quite a few photos for you. (If only we always had the luxury of all these photos before a purchase, right?
2.gif
)

Here is the photo he used to have up on the site-

1480aaaab.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hands-down the garnet. I wouldn''t use a Kindle. I can''t stand reading on a computer screen...give me paper any day.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ok, my photos- this is one of the best, and at its absolute best this is about how it looked..

aIMG_2696.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
and I''ll just let you make what you will of these photos..

baIMG_2689.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
And actually, his photo is a lot more vibrant than the color was in real life. It had a nice color, but.. his seems "exaggerated"

aIMG_2700.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well...icekid''s photos changed my mind. I say find a different garnet.
14.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
icekid, wow...I''d say definitely the Kindle over that stone.

For those who say they don''t like reading on a computer screen, the Kindle reads just like a book, IMHO. I really don''t get the smell of pages thing...maybe I have a terrible sense of smell? But I never have sat there and inhaled the scent of a book over and over again while reading.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 5:11:23 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Well...icekid''s photos changed my mind. I say find a different garnet.
14.gif

Ditto jstar! I have no interest in a Kindle, would rather have a beautiful, one-of-a-kind gem any day. I''m sure there are other gorgeous garnets out there in your price range.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes Icekid, those pics are really different! Yeah...I''m thinking Kindle. Haha. Although I think I''ll wait awhile to see if the price drops (as per TGals advice).

My dad has the Sony eReader which I''ve borrowed and loved, so I''m thinking the kindle would be great too. Especially since I found that I can get some of my study aids and textbooks on kindle, and the notetaking/search function would be flipping fantastic for that. And it''d also be great for question-style prep books since it''d be more portable ad convenient. I''m a HUGE book lover, I read all the time, so this would save me some shelf space. And sadly, philly closed its public libraries, otherwise I''d be going that route instead!

In the mean time, I did have my eye on another stone...teehee. I experienced a recent tragedy with my last blue sapphire from Gene (it literally breaks my heart, I actually cried) so I''m kind of aching for something new and blue.

sapphbdaybel.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 5:49:59 PM
Author: TravelingGal
icekid, wow...I''d say definitely the Kindle over that stone.

For those who say they don''t like reading on a computer screen, the Kindle reads just like a book, IMHO. I really don''t get the smell of pages thing...maybe I have a terrible sense of smell? But I never have sat there and inhaled the scent of a book over and over again while reading.

Hehe, I actually do like the "fresh book" smell, but I think it''s more the flipping of pages that I love. Flip...flip...flip... And just the general weight of it, and reading it in bed on cold days. My biggest annoyance with the sony eReader was that I could read it comfortbaly laying down for some reason.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 6:17:22 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Yikes Icekid, those pics are really different! Yeah...I''m thinking Kindle. Haha. Although I think I''ll wait awhile to see if the price drops (as per TGals advice).

My dad has the Sony eReader which I''ve borrowed and loved, so I''m thinking the kindle would be great too. Especially since I found that I can get some of my study aids and textbooks on kindle, and the notetaking/search function would be flipping fantastic for that. And it''d also be great for question-style prep books since it''d be more portable ad convenient. I''m a HUGE book lover, I read all the time, so this would save me some shelf space. And sadly, philly closed its public libraries, otherwise I''d be going that route instead!

In the mean time, I did have my eye on another stone...teehee. I experienced a recent tragedy with my last blue sapphire from Gene (it literally breaks my heart, I actually cried) so I''m kind of aching for something new and blue.
MTG, if you are going to wait on the Kindle, check out the Nook. I still think the Kindle is better, but Nook will be a worthy competitor once the software bugs are all resolved. Their format is not proprietary, so that''s another plus. The background is actually whiter, which some people prefer, but I don''t mind the gray of the Kindle at all.

You can go physically see the Nook at Barnes and Noble. The Kindle you have to order from Amazon and return if you want to check it out (unless a friend has one).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Tgal, my reason for the Kindle over the Nook would be concerns about accessibility to the books. Amazon in general seems to have Barnes and Nobles beat in terms of availability and pricing on books, and also, I tend to get Amazon gift cards more often than B&N ones which might make the Kindle more practical. The whiteness thing doesn''t really matter much to me either way, it''s probably more a question of which one gets me more books at better prices.

Hmm..will have to ask around to see if anyone I know owns a Kindle.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 6:17:22 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Oh no... what happened to your pretty sapphire?? I can understand why you would be heart-broken! I''m not sure how a Kindle would work for me; the feel of the book is part of the pleasure!

Anyway, there are more garnets out there if you want to hold out for a gem... a new sapphire would be a fine option too!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted garnet. DH has a Kindle but I think I prefer an old fashioned but and I always get distracted by something sparkly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results