shape
carat
color
clarity

Kindle Fire?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want a Kindle for Christmas. JD said he just recently read they're coming out w/a new one, Kindle Fire, November 15th. I wondered if anyone here had any insights as to the different Kindles and which would be best. I think JD said with this one you can get on the internet and do more things with it like an ipad but w/out the camera..I don't even know what an ipad is so..yeah. Is it like a mini lap top or something then?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
The Kindle Fire is what's called a tablet. It's not really a laptop PC, it is smaller and flat. It also hasn't got the functionality of a laptop. For example, you'd probably never do much productive work on a tablet. Tablets are much more for the consumption of content - books, video, web pages, games, etc. So far the iPad has been very popular for everything but reading at length - because the screen is backlit like a regular computer, which can be straining on the eyes. Also, you cannot read very well on an iPad in the sunlight.

If your goal is mainly to read ebooks on your tablet / e-reader, get a regular Kindle. They are really inexpensive now with their new pricing they just launched. $79 for the cheapest model! I have a regular Kindle, 3G, small format, and it's served me extremely well. I really enjoy reading on it. With its e-ink surface technology it it designed for reading without straining the eyes and you can read in the sunlight.

If you are planning to read on it, but would also like to browse the web from time to time, do e-mail or consume video, I'd get the Kindle Fire.

I will probably get a Kindle Fire as well. I've been holding off on getting an iPad because, well, I really haven't seen the point of it - my Macbook Air has been small and light enough for me. But the Kindle Fire price point is just so darn attractive and I'm a bit of an Amazon fan girl in general :) so I'll probably getting one just for fun.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So..w/the K Fire, could I get on here if I was like..waiting for an appointment or something? Otherwise, for just $79 I could spend less and have more for my bling fund!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat, the Kindle Fire does not have 3G. You would need a wireless connection.

Battery life is only 8 hours. If you like watching shows, movies and have an Amazon Prime account, this would be great. Amazon's Whispersync will extend to content downloads like movies. For browsing, email, etc, you need wifi.

If you just want to read, and read a lot, definitely the regular Kindle. Kindle Fire is backlit...a regular e-ink Kindle is easier on the eyes and you can read for hours without eye strain.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew you guys would be the ones to ask! Regular Kindle it is! haha now whatever doesn't get spent out of the holiday allotment can go to my blind account! It's win win!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have the Kindle with the keyboard and 3G, which is now their priciest small format Kindle I think. I was looking at the new selection of Kindles since I am reallllly super hard on mine and it's getting a bit difficult (doesn't want to connect to my computer without me doing a system restore on the computer, is super slow, battery doesn't last that well anymore etc.)

First thing I noticed was that the $79 Kindle had what they call "one month" battery life (if you read a half hour every day, hahahaha yeah right). It also doesn't fit the lighted book cover.

The Kindle Touch and the Kindles with the keyboards have lighted book covers available. They work off the Kindle's battery which I personally have loved, though it does kill the battery faster. I have the "two month" battery life Kindle and it is more like three or four days at this point- one of the reasons I'm looking at new Kindles, actually- but even new, I'd say it was like a week of heavy use, with near constant use of the booklight cover.

The $79 Kindle is the smallest, has the 5 way controller, and half the battery life, and no available lighted book cover (yet).

The $99 Kindle Touch has touch screen, the longer battery life, and available lighted book cover and isn't much larger.

When I finally decide to retire my K3 I will probably get the Touch despite not liking the idea of a touch screen at all (muuuuch rather have the 5 way controller, thanks).

The Kindle Fire has not much appeal to me- I just look to use the Kindle to read with, if I want a porta-browser or email I use my iPhone.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the additional input LGK! I got one today from Best Buy, the 3G for 189.99..there was the same model for 50 less but it has advertisements on the bottom of the screen and I didn't know if that would tork me off or not so I figured I better just spend the extra 50 and not have ads.

Is it sad that my 80some year old Gramma got a Nook a couple months ago and I'm just only now getting an e-reader? hahaha Gramma's on FB too..she's into the technology!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We ordered one for my DH already. It will ship on Nov 21. I have an Ipad but this is a cheaper version for surfing the net that he can
take to work. He is really excited.

I don't think I will update my kindle. I am fine with the 3G keyboard version. Although, I can't tell you how many times I have tapped the
screen to do something. I love the formatting of seeing the covers of the books instead on just the titles, but I can do that on my ipad and then decide what I want to read. I just invested in a cover with a light and a cool skin for it. I love love love my kindle. I now have 500+ titles on it. Most of them free.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend texted me about this last night. I have an ipad 2 and it is a great little handy tool b/c I can sit down anywhere and do a quick online check of hotmail, facebook, etc. AND can watch Netflix movies. Sounds like the Kindle Fire is the same? You'll LOVE it! (One of my favorites is to watch Netflix in bed at night while my DH sleeps :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, here's another question for you guys..while I was at the register paying for the kindle, JD was looking at the ipads and now is in love. We'd talked about getting a laptop at some point so we both can be on the computer at the same time or I can sit in the living room w/him while he watches sports and we don't feel like we're ignoring each other if I'm out here in the kitchen on the computer...Would it be better to get something like an ipad or a would a laptop be better?

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I gave my MacBook pro laptop to my hubby and my Kindle to my mom, and I bought a 3G iPad 2 for me. I use it for everything! You can use it outside in bright sunlight because you can adjust the backlight however you need it. I changed the Kindle app background to Sepia and turned the backlight way down and it looks more like the Kindle with the dull background and is easier on the eyes. If you're reading in bed at night (or like me-reading outside in the evening), you can turn the backlight up. I always hated the clip-on light for my Kindle. I bought a stylus and downloaded an app where I can take handwritten notes in meetings. I carry it everywhere I go at work instead of a notebook There are apps for word processing, spreadsheets, and PDF documents that I use, and you can print to any wireless printer. I haven't touched my personal laptop in 2 months. I bought the 3G version so that I could get on the Internet anywhere and not have to worry about a wifi connection. Hubby and I commute about 3 hrs each day, and I don't get to stay in my office at work much, so I'm moving around most of the day. I love that it can go with me everywhere, and it is very easy to use.

We were at Best Buy yesterday and overheard a lady trying to decide between a MacBook Air and a 3G iPad 2. She ended up with an iPad 2. If I were you, I'd go play around a bunch with one to be sure you would be comfortable using one instead of a laptop. I probably asked the poor salespeople a thousand questions and stopped in to play with one once a week for 2 months before I took the plunge!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1317557533|3031092 said:
Ok, here's another question for you guys..while I was at the register paying for the kindle, JD was looking at the ipads and now is in love. We'd talked about getting a laptop at some point so we both can be on the computer at the same time or I can sit in the living room w/him while he watches sports and we don't feel like we're ignoring each other if I'm out here in the kitchen on the computer...Would it be better to get something like an ipad or a would a laptop be better?

We have 2 laptops and I have an iPad2 wifi that I got a month ago. One laptop we bring up to our vacay home and the other we leave at home, but my iPad goes everywhere with me. I had been debating the whole iPad versus Kindle versus Nook for almost a year and so happy that I got the iPad 2.

I borrow books from my library (I have a choice of Kindle books, ePub, or audio books for 7 days). Since I got the iPad I have read about 6 books. I do crossword puzzles, Sudokus, mahjong, and my new favorite Angry Birds. I also downloaded an app to brush up on my German skills (my dad is proud) and am planning on learning guitar via an app as well. Some of the magazines I subscribe to I get free downloads. So much I can do on the iPad that I do not regret getting it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results