shape
carat
color
clarity

Kindle and Library Books? Should I get a Nook instead?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I've been a hold out against e-readers. I love books. I really, really do. But... they are taking over my apartment and must be stopped. :rodent: I was thinking about asking for a Kindle for my birthday in August.

My question is about library books. I know my library loans out ebooks, but Kindle isn't supported as an option. Has anyone else run into this? Is it a big deal? Would I be better off going with a nook?

Thoughts, insights, suggestions? I know there are other Kindle threads out there, but I couldn't find Library books discussed as a concern.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I went with the Kindle. There are a ton of great free downloads, and the books aren't too expensive anyway.

This is illegal (though not unethical) but I've downloaded PDF files of books that I already own and sent them to the kindle. They work perfectly.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
mrswahs - thank you for the reply! I'm still leaning more towards Kindle, but the appeal of downloading library books is very strong. Interesting about the pdf books - I'll have to look into that.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I bought the Nook and like it quite a bit. I have to admit that I don't even own a library card so I hadn't thought about the library loaning process. Have you asked your library to see if they're ever going to support the Kindle?

At least 90% of the free books are free for a reason. Older books can be had for free at places like project gutenberg. New releases you're going to have to buy or borrow and it sounds like you've been buying. Is this something you want to cut down on? If so, then the Nook might be a better option. If your book budget is staying put then get the Kindle if you like it better.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1299612851|2867558 said:
I bought the Nook and like it quite a bit. I have to admit that I don't even own a library card so I hadn't thought about the library loaning process. Have you asked your library to see if they're ever going to support the Kindle?

At least 90% of the free books are free for a reason. Older books can be had for free at places like project gutenberg. New releases you're going to have to buy or borrow and it sounds like you've been buying. Is this something you want to cut down on? If so, then the Nook might be a better option. If your book budget is staying put then get the Kindle if you like it better.

I have definitely been buying, and I don't see the book budget going away. Some series that I already own I will keep in book format. That said, my local library has many ebooks available that I would normally buy, but they are in the epub format that Kindle doesn't support. Also, I can (and do) buy secondhand books for quite a discount, which I won't be able to do. Hmmm. Isn't the library's fault - Kindle doesn't sell their format to libraries, from what I can tell.

Definitely something to think about!

ETA: I just had a thought. I think I can read library books on my iPod Touch. Hmmm.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I own a Kindle and don't see the list of free or very low cost books running out any time soon. Right now I have over 30 books, that I actually want to read, on my kindle that were either free or under $3.

I've played with a Nook and over and above I would still choose the Kindle.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
rhb - Thank you for the comment! I really do like the look and feel of the Kindle better.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know there is no library for the Kindle where you can rent books. I mean, there may be some obscure site out there that does offer library books for the Kindle...but I am not aware of any. I also use to PDF perk on the Kindle. Some of my favorite authors put specials or outtakes on their website that I will convert to PDF and transfer onto the Kindle. Shame on me, I know, I know. But it's easier on my eyes than reading on the computer.

Kindle does offer a lot of free books...lots and lots. They are generally of two varieties. Either an indie author who just wants his/her works to be read and offers them for free...or the classics. The new releases are going to cost you, gone are the $9.99 days. But, Kindle now allows users to share books--not all of them, but some. If you know someone with a Kindle, you can share which is nice. The samples are also a good feature. I think with the Nook you can read any book for one hour if you're inside a B&N, but with Kindle you can download a predetermined snippet and read it for however long it takes. Kindle also now has "Singles" which Nook doesn't. These are "natural length" stories from popular authors...kind of like a long magazine article...they are pretty cheap and kind of cool.

The Nook is really nice and not without perks but is more complicated to use whereas the Kindle is kind of point-and-click. Things like accessories tend to be less expensive with the Nook than the Kindle counterpart. The ePub library is also nice...but you can also look into Sony's eReader which is also ePub friendly. Actually, on my eReader board people tend to gravitate more towards the Sony for ease of use than the Nook, but it's personal preference.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geckodani, I thought this would bug me too, but really it is a non issue for me. I can still go to the library and get books if I want
to, but our library loans out the devices with the books. I have had my kindle since mid January and I have 120 books on it already.
All but maybe 5 were free, and of the 5, I paid full price for only one.

I chose the kindle over the Nook because it is lighter, and easier to read in sunlight. I also bought my hubby one and he is loving it
as well. There are a few books that I will still buy, but most I will put on Kindle. Like you, I am running out of space, and the truth
is eventually I get rid of books. Either I am no longer telling myself I am going to re-read them or I must make room.

I read a ton. I have been known to read a book a day in the summer, so it really makes sense for me.

Also, when you get one, if you want to save some cash, look on ebay for a cover. I bought one, from Hong Kong, for less than
$10 and just got a new green one, shipping from the east coast for $17.

First thing I do each morning now is go to amazon and check the top 100 free to see if there is anything new I want to get! Then
I check pricescope! :naughty:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Italiah. Gone are the $9.99 days? Ruh roh. Going to have to look into that!

luv2sparkle, I was just trying to remember the last time I actually checked out a library book. It's been a while! Strange that I am fixating on something that I don't even do now. Hmmm. I eventually get rid of books as well. Hate to do it, but the suckers take up space!

Free books are definitely a nice perk, but a lot of what I read is new. I've got some time to figure it out, which is nice!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of what I read is new too. I have downloaded a few classics but they will be my 'when I run out of new stuff' books. A lot of times
an author will put out the first in the series book free but most are pretty new. Not bestsellers to be sure, but fairly new. Many
times they are authors I would have never read or even heard of on my own, but also many I read regularly.

You can also download a sample of any book you want to read, to see if you like it. I think that is a great feature.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I have Nooks. We love the ability to buy books directly from the Nook interface, but we also like the ability to buy books from other sources. There is nothing particularly complicated about the latter process, and buying from the Nook via WI-FI is immediate, no tap-dance required.

Borrowing ebooks from the library could be an issue in the future because several of the big publishers, such as Harper Collins, are attempting to force libraries to limit the number of times they can rent out an ebook before the libraries repurchase the digital copy. Three loans was one of the numbers trailed out in the press. They also are wanting the libraries to pay a royalty every time the book is loaned, which would effectively put digital books out of the reach of most libraries. :angryfire:

So who knows if borrowing a digital book from your library is going to be possible long-term anyway, so I'd buy the reader you like, and not worry to much about library accessibility!

ETA: I gather the number of loans has been increased to 26, but still....

Here's a link to a discussion of the issue: http://librarianbyday.net/2011/02/2...rary-ebook-vendors-to-take-a-giant-step-back/

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
lendle.me is a website where kindle users can lend their books to each other 2 weeks at a time, there's a fair amount of books for the kindle that have lending enabled

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I still am undecided between the Kindle and the Nook, so I will wait until some kind person gives me either one as a gift and then it will have been decided for me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got a Nook Color for Christmas, and I've gotta say, I love it - it's easy as pie to download books on the go (which is great for me - otherwise I wind up carrying 6 paperbacks for a trip, which adds up (though, one caveat - you can only download in the US)).

I haven't tried going to the library yet, but I like having the option very much, and need to figure out how that works soon (like, do you still need to go there in person? or just download via your library code? will explore ....)

By my standards, it's very light and easy to schlep around: I actually prefer the backlit screen, as that way I can read it on flights without having to disturb my seatmates, and the magazine option is quite convenient. So on the whole I vote Nook ....

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have a nook color when B&N's ebay store had a $50 off coupon, and I love it. It'll mainly be used while i'm waiting for stuff like flights or on a flight, so the backlit is great. It also has a few games, and pandora. I tried to buy the e-ink version, and just couldn't... the color screen is too pretty.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1299622866|2867673 said:
I got a Nook Color for Christmas, and I've gotta say, I love it - it's easy as pie to download books on the go (which is great for me - otherwise I wind up carrying 6 paperbacks for a trip, which adds up (though, one caveat - you can only download in the US)).

I haven't tried going to the library yet, but I like having the option very much, and need to figure out how that works soon (like, do you still need to go there in person? or just download via your library code? will explore ....)

By my standards, it's very light and easy to schlep around: I actually prefer the backlit screen, as that way I can read it on flights without having to disturb my seatmates, and the magazine option is quite convenient. So on the whole I vote Nook ....

How's the battery lfe on the Color Nook? I was looking at this when it just came out, but couldn't decide. I want it for magazines and cookbooks where I can also view a video.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
geckodani|1299614885|2867583 said:
Thanks Italiah. Gone are the $9.99 days? Ruh roh. Going to have to look into that!

luv2sparkle, I was just trying to remember the last time I actually checked out a library book. It's been a while! Strange that I am fixating on something that I don't even do now. Hmmm. I eventually get rid of books as well. Hate to do it, but the suckers take up space!

Free books are definitely a nice perk, but a lot of what I read is new. I've got some time to figure it out, which is nice!

Some books are still $9.99, but it's not every like last year...but like the Jodi Picoult book I just bought a few days ago was $15.00. Actually there is a huge moment of boycotting. I think thats kind of insane, but to each their own.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
soocool|1299628135|2867736 said:
Circe|1299622866|2867673 said:

How's the battery lfe on the Color Nook? I was looking at this when it just came out, but couldn't decide. I want it for magazines and cookbooks where I can also view a video.

I can read on it steadily for two days or so before I need to charge it (and I can read for 5 hours at a stretch). So while I have no hard data to back this up - 10 hours of "work" time in a 42 hour period?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
One night after fully charging it, i sat down and clocked 7.75 hours of chess, books, magazines, (mostly) internet, w/ pandora playing the entire time. It advertises 8 hrs, so i think it's pretty good. pandora tends to use up a lil more batteries.

I hear if you turn off wi-fi, it lasts longer.. but i haven't tried it yet.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I vote Kindle! Unless you think you would like a backlight, then perhaps get the color Nook. I prefer the non backlit screen, as I don't really like the whole computer screen look for hours on end. I love how it looks just like a page out of a book -no harsh lighting. I love I can read it outside without glare and is so easy to see in the sunlight, unlike Ipad/phone/probably Nook color- idk haven't tried it. I have the Kindle 3 with wifi, and I even had service when I went to Cancun. It was nice I could download books right on the beach! I looked at the Nook, but for some reason I just liked the screen better on the Kindle... I bought my Kindle at Best Buy so I was able to compare the Kindle to the Nook.

My battery lasts FOREVER. I can read for hours a day for several weeks. It doesn't last nearly as long when the wifi is on, so I always turn it off when I don't need it on.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I have a Kindle, which I thought was the most amazing thing. But then for Valentine's Day, I got an Ipad :love: I know it is more money, but I like reading on it better than my Kindle. There is an Amazon Kindle app which transfered all of my Kindle books over. I like the touch screen, you don't need a light, the books are better organized and easier to find, and when I don't want to read, I can play Scrabble or watch Netflix :bigsmile: It's amazing!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iluvcarats|1299636579|2867848 said:
I have a Kindle, which I thought was the most amazing thing. But then for Valentine's Day, I got an Ipad :love: I know it is more money, but I like reading on it better than my Kindle. There is an Amazon Kindle app which transfered all of my Kindle books over. I like the touch screen, you don't need a light, the books are better organized and easier to find, and when I don't want to read, I can play Scrabble or watch Netflix :bigsmile: It's amazing!

I almost forgot the touchscreen! My husband has an iPad, which (I totally agree) is awesome. That said, if you just want something to read on, the Nook has the same effect - and, what was for me the biggest win ... you don't get the flicker delay as you flip pages. I speed read, so the split second of darkness/loading on the Kindle drove me batty when I test-drove a friends ... but on iPad and Nook alike, it's almost instantaneous. So, a second for the iPad, and more luv for the Nook ....

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Wow - thanks for all the great responses!

luv2sparkle - sample chapters are such a great idea!

Aoife - I did not know that about the licenses. To be honest, I was initially quite surprised that ebooks were available at all through the library. I'll have to check out that link.

CheshireSmile - NICE! I'll go check them out.

soocool - I'm planning to ask for mine for my Birthday in august. Not sure I'll make it that far though!

Circe, Forte, iugurl - You bring up a good point about the backlit screen. Ultimately though, I think I'd prefer the e-ink. The main draw for me to the Kindle is the sunlight reading issue. I have an iPod Touch, and I HATE trying to play with it when there is sun. The glare is horrid.

Italiah - I was noticing that new releases that are only available in hardcover are around $15, and things available in paperback are $9.99. It makes a certain kind of sense from a publisher's standpoint.

I may bribe my SIL with a gift card to borrow her Kindle for a weekend to see if I like it!!!

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
I have the Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Nook, and iPad. The Kindle 3 is BY FAR my favorite. The Nook is heavy, slow, and doesn't have as good of a screen resolution. Also, there just wasn't that much available is my library for ePub that I wanted to read on my Nook. The Kindle is fast, tiny, and so easy to read. You will love it!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I have a kindle 2, and have had a lot of experience with the Kobo http://koboereader.com/ too. Both are pretty comparable, and last 2 weeks or 10,000 page turns on a charge.

You can use free conversion software like calibre to convert ebooks from one format to another (although viewing converted books will void your ereader's waranty).

Decide what you want in terms of battery life, expandable memory, and screen chage time (I've heard kindle 3 is a bit faster), and how much you want to spend. kindle has wifi and 3g, others just have wifi.

If you want to be doing more than just ereading, an ipad might be a better fit.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
Just a thought-- Kindle now has the ability to lend out books to friends for 14 days. Maybe if you get one we can start a book club and all share books ;-)!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
Other notes:

The PDF thing is neat. You email yourself the PDF (you get a free email address with your kindle) and within 2 minutes it's converted to kindle format. You can increase font size and all the other nifty features.

I also love the dark charcoal color to it and my leather lighted case. I got the amazon brand case with the light built in. The light powers off the kindle so it doesn't take any batteries and it's not bulky at all. It's awesome, especially on the shuttle bus from work to the parking lot on dreary days when the sunlight isn't enough to read from.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrswahs|1299789055|2869003 said:
Just a thought-- Kindle now has the ability to lend out books to friends for 14 days. Maybe if you get one we can start a book club and all share books ;-)!

Last I checked, you can lend the book ONCE to a friend for 14 days...and not all books are lendable. In fact, hardly any of the good ones seem to be!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1299789930|2869018 said:
mrswahs|1299789055|2869003 said:

Last I checked, you can lend the book ONCE to a friend for 14 days...and not all books are lendable. In fact, hardly any of the good ones seem to be!
Really? I wasn't aware that they weren't all available. No fun :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results