shape
carat
color
clarity

KimberlyH...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kimberly,

I was just wondering how substituting has been going. I have a student teacher working with me right now and she''s so exciting to teach in her own classroom, hopefully in the fall. She''s also open to subbing to gain more experience and see which grade level she prefers. I think it''s a great idea. Have you come any closer to deciding which grade you want to teach when you''re at that stage?

Zoe

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been wondering too!!! Hope you are enjoying it; you sound like you will make a wonderful impact on the children
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thritto on the wondering!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
You''re so sweet to think of me, zoe! I''ve only had the opportunity to sub for Kindergarten, 1st and 5th grade classes. I think I''m leaning towards the older kids, they aren''t as needy and are starting to understand reason and logic, which makes it so fun to interact with them. I am hoping to sub in the other grades sooner rather than later to gain more insight and experience!

The first few times I subbed were a bit difficult, but I am slowly but surely finding my groove. It''s been a trial-by-fire learning experience that included a 5th grader leaving me a bit flustered and some great experiences that have been quite rewarding.

My husband and I are seriously contemplating moving to Chicago (we currently live in San Diego), and my application for student teaching is due before we''re ready to make our decision, so I''m going to put it off until the spring of next year. This means more time to substitute and explore classes! I am attending school online and I was pretty uncomfortable with the program, afraid it wouldn''t carry the clout that a state or other such school does. I am now so thankful I decided to do so, as my program won''t be affected by our move.

I''ve picked up some great classroom management tips and am discovering my strengths and weaknesses.

My mandated tests are scheduled for this Saturday, wish me lots of luck...2 tests in 8 hours, one on theory and the other on content...AGH!

Thanks again for thinking of me! So sweet of all of you!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck on the tests; you will do awesome!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, I had been wondering how things were going as well, glad to hear you''ve been doing great as I suspected you had! I SO hope you and John end up moving to the Chicago area, as you will have at least a few PS buddies here to start out with for sure! As far as the teaching, I wish you the best of luck on your tests and know you will do great! You are such a smart and capable woman and deserve nothing but the best. I look forward to getting to know even more about you and you have some very lucky students who''ve been able or will be able to experience your presence in the classroom.
36.gif
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, Ellen, Skippy and Zoe...and thanks so much Monarch! You guys are way too sweet. I have discovered that I am a teacher who is going to need to prep, prep prep...teaching a lesson I haven''t had the opportunity to review leaves me a bit tongue tied and perhaps ineffective. At least it feels that way. It is quite possibly the inability to guage understanding in such the short period of time I''m alloted with the kids I sub. Lessons to be learned!

Monnie, you are always so kind. Believe you me, I''ll be calling on you when (it''s pretty safe to say when at this point) we move.
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, sounds like you are doing just fine. And I think a year of subbing/moving from grade to grade is a fantastic way to learn who it is you want to spend your time with.
2.gif

Good luck, and hang in there, you''ll get it!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Ellen. My husband noted that I am much more confident now than I was when I started. He says he can see it in me both when I leave and return home. I have K/1 combo tomorrow and special ed on Wednesday and am looking forward to both experiences.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hiya Kim,

On a slightly different topic, I read about your ideas for making friends when you move to Chicago in Hazel eyes thread in LIW, and I wanted to make another suggestion in case it''s helpful!

Most of the Chicago arts and culture organizations have these things called associates or councils (Steppenwolf Theater, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Lincoln Park Zoo, etc. all have them and there''s probably tonnes more). Basically, you make a small donation (less than $100) and become a member of the group which is basically a sort of social club. Depending on the group, there''s an emphasis on parties or lectures, or outings... It''s mostly young working professionals with some stay at home moms and the events are LOTS of fun. When there''s a party, there''s usually some fundraising component, like a raffle, or once Steppenwolf had a party at Saks 5th Ave where ''Theory'' agreed to give a % of whatever people bought from their line (and we got complimentary sushi and cocktails and great tunes!). And then there''s an annual fundraising ball which costs extra. You also get half price subscriptions, special educational evenings, lectures, behind the scenes tours etc.

The idea is, it''s a way to meet a tonne of interesting people around your age (and a little older) while learning about art or theater (or zoo animals!) and helping a good cause. I made a number of friends this way while living in Chicago and had so much fun in the meantime.

Just an idea! If it appeals to you, check out some websites:

http://www.steppenwolf.org/support/individual/auxiliary_council.aspx

http://www.artic.edu/aic/members_donors/comm_associates/index.php

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:51:33 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Hiya Kim,

On a slightly different topic, I read about your ideas for making friends when you move to Chicago in Hazel eyes thread in LIW, and I wanted to make another suggestion in case it''s helpful!

Most of the Chicago arts and culture organizations have these things called associates or councils (Steppenwolf Theater, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Lincoln Park Zoo, etc. all have them and there''s probably tonnes more). Basically, you make a small donation (less than $100) and become a member of the group which is basically a sort of social club. Depending on the group, there''s an emphasis on parties or lectures, or outings... It''s mostly young working professionals with some stay at home moms and the events are LOTS of fun. When there''s a party, there''s usually some fundraising component, like a raffle, or once Steppenwolf had a party at Saks 5th Ave where ''Theory'' agreed to give a % of whatever people bought from their line (and we got complimentary sushi and cocktails and great tunes!). And then there''s an annual fundraising ball which costs extra. You also get half price subscriptions, special educational evenings, lectures, behind the scenes tours etc.

The idea is, it''s a way to meet a tonne of interesting people around your age (and a little older) while learning about art or theater (or zoo animals!) and helping a good cause. I made a number of friends this way while living in Chicago and had so much fun in the meantime.

Just an idea! If it appeals to you, check out some websites:

http://www.steppenwolf.org/support/individual/auxiliary_council.aspx

http://www.artic.edu/aic/members_donors/comm_associates/index.php
IG,

I love these ideas, thanks so much for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results