shape
carat
color
clarity

Kids at Farwell Brunch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, we''re definitely not having kids at our wedding. However, we will be having a farewell brunch the following day in an old library at a vintage hotel, and I am wondering if we should invite kids.

Most of our family with kids live out of town and the parents are making a "date" weekend out of it. I would think a max of 4-5 kids would be from our city. One of Mr. Kama''s cousin wrote me a nice e-mail inquiring if kids weren''t invited to the brunch as well, just to make sure they booked the sitter for two days. They said they didnt have a problem with booking a sitter for the two days.

What''s the general consensus? Yay or nay for kids at any wedding related festivity? Is it asking for too much to have a sitter for two separate days?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I think that to include the kids at the brunch would be wonderful. It would feel like a real "family moment" after you've all had the big day...What a lovely gesture.

LS

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. I think part of a "no kids" wedding is simply that the time frame/length/formality of the event is not really suitable for children - there''s nothing for them to do, it''s past their bedtime, etc. The brunch is likely a different thing. A well-behaved kid (and you know the children, so this is your call) should be able to sit through a brunch without drawing negative attention to himself. If you''re comfortable having kids at this event, I don''t see why it can''t be a "family" brunch.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your opinion, LS and Elmorton! I was really leaning towards having the kids at the brunch, but my MIL doesn''t think it would that great an idea. The reason is because we rarely see the kids, and one of them is mildy autistic. Our brunch is in a slightly ''stuffy'' place...it''s a very victorian style hotel, in a small room that once used to be a library. There wont be much space for the kids to run around either.

I think I''ll write back that we would love to see the mum and dad for now, but have them over post-wedding so we can spend more time with the kids....which I would really like, given how much I love wee lil ones!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would probably say no kids. I would just prefer it especially if the place was a bit stuffy for brunch. I don''t know how still kids would sit for a few hours.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 2:45:47 PM
Author: bee*
Personally I would probably say no kids. I would just prefer it especially if the place was a bit stuffy for brunch. I don''t know how still kids would sit for a few hours.
True! I dont think kids should sit still either, which is why I think they would enjoy being at home doing their own thing.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be very considerate for you to invite the parents to bring the kids to the brunch -- as long as the parents are warned in advance that the venue is kind of stuffy -- especially since many of your guests will be from out of town. You''d be giving the parents the option of sharing the wedding experience with the children and making it more of a family event, while couples that choose to hire a sitter and make the whole weekend into a "date weekend" could still do so.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 6:30:48 PM
Author: Elmorton
Ditto. I think part of a ''no kids'' wedding is simply that the time frame/length/formality of the event is not really suitable for children - there''s nothing for them to do, it''s past their bedtime, etc. The brunch is likely a different thing. A well-behaved kid (and you know the children, so this is your call) should be able to sit through a brunch without drawing negative attention to himself. If you''re comfortable having kids at this event, I don''t see why it can''t be a ''family'' brunch.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Very well said! I think a family brunch is a wonderful idea (this is coming from someone with kids.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results