shape
carat
color
clarity

Kidney Stones....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
.... and a urine infection. Happy New Year to me!

My hubby had to take me to hospital this morning because I was in agony. I had no idea what was wrong with me. What are kidney stones? How do they form? Can I avoid getting any more? I have more that need to pass.... is there anything I can do to stop it being as painful as today? Are they connected with Diabetes? Does anyone have the answers?

I am feeling very sorry for myself. ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Maisie, I am so sorry! My dh had kidney stones a few different times over the last 20 years and all but one time they passed on their own. The most recent bout he had to have them surgically removed as they were too large to pass on their own. The surgery wasn't bad and it was an outpatient procedure. I know the doctor cautioned him against certain types of food (I think red meat, alcohol was bad but cannot remember for sure now) and that he had to make sure to drink enough fluids as dehydration makes one more prone to developing these stones. I think they did a test to see what type he had as there are different types and they make their recommendations based on that. I wish I could be of more help but hopefully others who are knowledgeable in this area will chime in with info. Sending you lots of healing ***dust*** and hugs!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Missy. I'm drinking lots of water. I'm really nervous in case the big pain comes back. I honestly rate it up there with childbirth. Ugh!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ouch, Maisie, ouch... !! Hopefully you were sent home with some pain killers to deal with the residual discomfort?? This is not my area of expertise - and its been YEARS since I worked in a hospital - but water is your friend! I know it seems counter productive to drink/pee/drink but it flushes the crystals out of your system, prevents dehydration and helps to circulate minerals and nutrients thru your body better. There are different types of stones, and yes, once your stone is analyzed, they will be able to suggest a better prevention and treatment program for you. Limit sodium and alcohol for sure, and your intake of red meat, as missy noted above, are often common recommendations. Same with a stable intake of vitamin C and calcium.

As for more info, I'd just do a quick google search for a FEW different sites, so you get a more rounded info base - not all you read on the internet is correct ( :-o :shock: :-o ) Yes that is front page news!

I hope the pain passes, you feel better instantly and instead of passing calcium build up - you can pass CARBON and have them set in a ring!!! LOL!! (ok, that was a joke - to help you feel better!!) If only all things ended up as diamonds in the end....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would feel so much better if I thought I could make a ring from what I pass!! It would save me a fortune!

I'm normally the first person to google when I am unwell. But in this case i'm reluctant. I was in agony and i'm scared to read that it may happen again. I have loads of bottles of water. I'm not the best person at remembering to drink, which is bad I know! I am peeing like a good un and hoping that I don't need to pass any more stones!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately, the bad news is that once you start having urine infections and stones its easier to have it happen again....unless you keep yourself hydrated! drink lots of water every day....and if you feel a twinge get some cranberry juice and drink that, too. there's been a lot of "discussion" re cranberry juice but i think it helps. sorry you're going through this. but happy new year anyway!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1325440860|3092903 said:
unfortunately, the bad news is that once you start having urine infections and stones its easier to have it happen again....unless you keep yourself hydrated! drink lots of water every day....and if you feel a twinge get some cranberry juice and drink that, too. there's been a lot of "discussion" re cranberry juice but i think it helps. sorry you're going through this. but happy new year anyway!

Oh dear me. I don't like the idea of getting sick like this again. I have tried cranberry juice before but it makes me gag. I will drink it though, I will try anything to avoid this!

Happy New Year to you too!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't have to be cranberry juice if that's not your thing. You just have to drink enough fluids, and water will do.

My husband had them and they were excrutiating. He was told that without enough hydration, the uric acid concentrates and calcifies into stones. Drinking enough fluids deters that concentration from happening.

Good luck to you.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1325444233|3092935 said:
It doesn't have to be cranberry juice if that's not your thing. You just have to drink enough fluids, and water will do.

My husband had them and they were excrutiating. He was told that without enough hydration, the uric acid concentrates and calcifies into stones. Drinking enough fluids deters that concentration from happening.

Good luck to you.

Thank you. If I ever needed an incentive to stick with the water this is it. I have never been much of a fluid drinker anyway, its probably something that was going to happen at some point. I will be sure to avoid dehydration in future.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, I am so sorry!!! I have had them twice, and I will agree it is extreme pain. Besides water, some say that lemonade is good. I guess the acid can help break down (or keep from forming) certain types of stones. Of all things, our older married daughter who just had a baby in Nov. had kidney stones a few weeks before the baby was due. The dumb hospital sent her home twice because they must have thought she was just complaining about Braxton Hicks contractions or something! I knew she had to be in terrible pain to even consider going to the hospital, much less 3 times!!! It was horrible. I am sorry you are suffering and I hope it will be gone soon!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Masie you poor thing! Nasty business, these stones! They're buildup of various waste that your kidneys normally flush out, but in some people it accumulates, forming the stone. Lowering the likelihood of them forming is dependant on what the stone is made from, they can be calcium, uric acid (if the urine is too acidic from eating too much meat for example), or struvite stones can form from ammonia buildup after a UTI. The only way to know is to have the stone removed or to pass it, and have it sent off for analysis. Drinking lots of water can help flush the kideys so the stone doesn't form in the first place, or it can help flush out a stone that's already there, but as they say, prevention beats cure!

Sorry for the long winded reply but urology is my specialty and we deal with the little blighters alot! :bigsmile:

Take it easy and keep up the fluids (which I'm sure you already know). If you don't pass the stone, removing them is a straightforward procedure, but of course I hope you can pass them yourself! Big hugs to you, you poor possum. :((

Good luck hon!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325478030|3093277 said:
Maisie, I am so sorry!!! I have had them twice, and I will agree it is extreme pain. Besides water, some say that lemonade is good. I guess the acid can help break down (or keep from forming) certain types of stones. Of all things, our older married daughter who just had a baby in Nov. had kidney stones a few weeks before the baby was due. The dumb hospital sent her home twice because they must have thought she was just complaining about Braxton Hicks contractions or something! I knew she had to be in terrible pain to even consider going to the hospital, much less 3 times!!! It was horrible. I am sorry you are suffering and I hope it will be gone soon!!!

I can't imagine having kidney stones and being heavily pregnant! She must have been so scared! I hope she (and you) never get them again. I honestly think this is one of the most painful things I have ever had to endure!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi|1325490479|3093352 said:
Oh Masie you poor thing! Nasty business, these stones! They're buildup of various waste that your kidneys normally flush out, but in some people it accumulates, forming the stone. Lowering the likelihood of them forming is dependant on what the stone is made from, they can be calcium, uric acid (if the urine is too acidic from eating too much meat for example), or struvite stones can form from ammonia buildup after a UTI. The only way to know is to have the stone removed or to pass it, and have it sent off for analysis. Drinking lots of water can help flush the kideys so the stone doesn't form in the first place, or it can help flush out a stone that's already there, but as they say, prevention beats cure!

Sorry for the long winded reply but urology is my specialty and we deal with the little blighters alot! :bigsmile:

Take it easy and keep up the fluids (which I'm sure you already know). If you don't pass the stone, removing them is a straightforward procedure, but of course I hope you can pass them yourself! Big hugs to you, you poor possum. :((

Good luck hon!

Thank you for your advice! I'm wondering, how will I know if I pass it? Should I be peeing into a jug to keep an eye on things? Is it going to really hurt when I do pee it out? Can it get stuck? Can you tell i'm really worrying here? :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i used to gag when i drank water.....i learned to drink water because of such an infection.....and i've never really suffered as i did from the first one again....i know the "twinge" feeling in the kidney area and amp up my liquid consumption. also, dilute the cranberry juice with water or apple juice until you can drink it "straight". ask your dr about what to expect re passing a stone.....you may have done so already.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my sons gags when he drinks water too. He does drink juice mixed with water so at least I know he is getting some water, but I wish he would be able to drink straight water. I love Evian water but hate tap water. I can honestly tell the difference.

I am drinking directly from the bottle at the minute so I can see how much I am drinking in a day. Classy I know! :lol:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1325520101|3093455 said:
DandiAndi|1325490479|3093352 said:

Good luck hon!

Thank you for your advice! I'm wondering, how will I know if I pass it? Should I be peeing into a jug to keep an eye on things? Is it going to really hurt when I do pee it out? Can it get stuck? Can you tell i'm really worrying here? :lol:

Aww, please don't worry hon (I know that's like telling water not to be wet!). Peeing into a jug is an option, and you will likely see the stone, they're a few millimetres in size or so, and are usually brown, black or yellow. The bigger ones can get stuck in which case endoscopic surgery to break it up is warranted, but you would know if that was the case! It's possible that it is painful now because where it is moving is a bit narrow, but once it passes through the narrow spot it would pass more easily and less painfully, theoretically. There's every chance it has passed already, so here's hoping!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou! I feel a lot better now. I'm hoping that the one that was trying to pass has already gone. But i'm still apprehensive because the doctor told me he could see other stones. I have painkillers which did help at the time so hopefully they will help if another stone tries to make a bid for freedom! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results