Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Keep it as a stand alone ring

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • I just want to see the results!

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
So I got an early birthday gift from DH today and I'm not sure I like it! It's blingy and wide and he bought it with the intentions of me wearing it with my e-ring. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good with it :blackeye: I could keep it as a stand alone ring, but I always wear my e-ring when I'm out. I'm still in the return window and DH is fine with me exchanging it, however he really wants me to keep it. I've toyed with the idea of keeping as a RHR but I just don't wear RHR's. So for me, that's not an option.

birthday ring 1.jpg

birthday ring 2.jpg

birthday ring 4.jpg

birthday ring 5.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to suggest that you keep it and not hurt your husband's feelings. Though you always wear your e-ring now, there will come a time when you want to wear something different and this beautiful band would be lovely to wear when you feel that way. I always wore my e-ring and then my wedding set when I was first engaged and later married, but then I started to feel like wearing something "else" still wedding bandish, just something different and something e-ring free. I think he made a lovely choice for you.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to what gemgirl said. Any chance you can start wearing a RHR? I know you said you don't but maybe you'll change your mind? It's a pretty ring and sounds like DH wants you to have it. Bling on both fingers = good!

If not, and you can return it without hurting his feelings then go for it. No point in having something you'll never wear.

Happy early Birthday!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's really lovely. I'm w/Gemgirl & Lbbaber -- after a while you might want some variety & that is very pretty "variety." It's a little unusual = gooood! Just like clothing styles, your ideas for bling change a bit over time. It's the same as a wedding ring in the sense that he gave it to you, just as he did the first one, if that sentiment is on your mind. Otherwise, send it to me & I'll make sure it has a very happy home.

--- Laurie

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Do you like it as a stand-alone ring?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoa! I love it. I love it as a stand-alone ring and I even like it with your ering. I have found that after 25 years of marriage it's best to keep the gifts that the hubby shops for and has feeling for. It sounds like he really likes this ring and therefore I'd keep it. It might not be what you'd pick out yourself but heck, it's a gift and it's pretty!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's pretty but it doesn't seem like you'll wear it. I'd return it. I'm sure your husband will get over it soon enough since it's clear he wants you to be happy.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
try to wear it for few days as RHR and see how you like it, and if you don't go ahead and exchange it and maybe to something that suits with your e-ring to wear them together. no reason to keep something that will only sit in the jewelery box and collect dust. yes it may hurt his feeling alittle, but probably will do the same if he doesn't see you wear it either

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
minmin001|1305843931|2926025 said:
try to wear it for few days as RHR and see how you like it, and if you don't go ahead and exchange it and maybe to something that suits with your e-ring to wear them together. no reason to keep something that will only sit in the jewelery box and collect dust. yes it may hurt his feeling alittle, but probably will do the same if he doesn't see you wear it either

I 100% agree with minmin! Try it out and if you don't think you'll wear it, then return it!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm. I think it sort of depends on how expensive it is in the context of your budget. If it was a nonpareil that you could keep as a sentimental present, I'd say cool, keep it and see if it grows on you: however, if it represents a significant chunk of your yearly gift budget ... I think I'd test the waters with the hubby to see if he might be amenable to returning it and picking out something together (perhaps, in the process, learning a bit more about your tastes).

It feels like there's a contradiction between "DH is fine with me exchanging it" and "however he really wants me to keep it" - which one do you think is stronger?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think it's lovely, what's not to like?

You are allowed to own more than one ring. I said so. :bigsmile:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like it. I think it looks lovely as a stand alone ring. I probably wouldn't wear it with the ering but thats me and its not about me ;))

As gemgirl said, there may come a time where you would like a ring that you can wear instead of your ering.. and it would make your hubby happy if you kept it. I don't wear a rhr but would try and get used to wearing something my husband bought for me.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Try it as a RHR. If you've never worn one, how can you know? It may take some getting used to but no more than getting used to your e-ring. RHRs can be a very nice way to balance all the bling on your left hand.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
It's lovely as a stand alone ring, but I'm not crazy about it with your e-ring. Give it some time.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the ring a lot, but I agree with you that it doesn't complement your engagement ring. I was going to suggest wearing it as a RHR but I see that you're not crazy about that idea. You said your husband is okay with you returning it, so that's what I'd do if I was in your situation. Maybe you could take him with you when you pick out something else so he can see what you'd prefer and get to know your style a bit better.

ETA: Obviously we don't know what your husband spent, but again, if I was in that situation, I'd probably feel guilty keeping something that costly in a box tucked away that I *might* grow to like someday.

ETA: Sorry to threadjack, but Maisie, is that really you?! I'm so happy to "see" you again.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would make a gorgeous RHR. Try it like that - you might find that you really like it! I don't particularly care for it with your ering - even though it is a very pretty ring it looks better on its own.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I think it's gorgeous! :love: But I agree that it doesn't really look quite right with your e-ring, IMO, since it is so wide. I would try it as a RHR, as it seems to mean a lot to your hubby. It usually only takes a few days to get used to wearing a RHR, and hey, more bling!!! I think it's awesome that he picked it out for you and wouldn't want you to hurt his feelings by returning it.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think you should return it if you don't think your husband would be hurt. Maybe you could go out together and find a new ring so he feels like he's a part of the process.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! However, I agree that it's not the right ring to wear with your engagement ring. I think if I were in your shoes I'd keep it and wear it either as a RHR, or wear it from time to time as an alternative to my engagement ring, if that's something you and your DH are comfortable with. It would be like a blingy wedding band. If that really isn't an option for you, then I'd ditto some of the other posters... exchange it with your husband so you can find something you both like as a complement to your engagement ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bless your husband he thought that ring would go well with yout e-ring ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's tough!! I'd probably keep it if it would hurt DH's feelings to return. On the other hand, I agree with Circe--if this ring eats up a significant chunk of your bling budget, then I would exchange or return it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :bigsmile:

April20

Ideal_Rock
It's a lovely stand alone ring. I think you should keep it- don't hurt his feelings. Such a sweet, thoughtful gift for you! I don't quite trust the "you can return it, it won't hurt my feelings" response. I think it makes them gun shy of ever buying your something as a surprise again.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for everyone's responses!

I do like the ring but I don't love the ring. And as much as I wish I was a RHR girl, I'm not. After talking to DH and being honest (but nice and so grateful!) he's returning the ring. I could keep it as a stand alone ring, but I pretty much always wear my e-ring with matching plain wedding band, and if I'm going to own a diamond band, I want it to go perfectly with my e-ring! And I'm too frugal to let a piece of expensive jewelry sit in my jewelry box! I told DH that when I think of what diamond band I want with my e-ring, it's the WF or BGD bezel eternity bands, two of them, to go on each side of my e-ring or to stack. Or maybe the WF 3mm scattered band. So I've given him a couple of options for the future.

Anyway, he's fine, no hurt feelings and he's more relieved I told him before the return period was up! :))

Thanks again! :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a great guy you have there, not to be out of joint. Way to pick 'em! Glad it worked out so well -- and with future bling you'll be happy with.

--- Laurie

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
what did you end up getting in exchange for this band? :bigsmile:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
deleted... just saw that you returned the ring.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1305908603|2926609 said:
Thanks for everyone's responses!

I do like the ring but I don't love the ring. And as much as I wish I was a RHR girl, I'm not. After talking to DH and being honest (but nice and so grateful!) he's returning the ring. I could keep it as a stand alone ring, but I pretty much always wear my e-ring with matching plain wedding band, and if I'm going to own a diamond band, I want it to go perfectly with my e-ring! And I'm too frugal to let a piece of expensive jewelry sit in my jewelry box! I told DH that when I think of what diamond band I want with my e-ring, it's the WF or BGD bezel eternity bands, two of them, to go on each side of my e-ring or to stack. Or maybe the WF 3mm scattered band. So I've given him a couple of options for the future.

Anyway, he's fine, no hurt feelings and he's more relieved I told him before the return period was up! :))

Thanks again! :wavey:

I think you did the right thing. Why does your man have to be a fashion stylist and amazing shopper as well as an excellent husband?
It is impossible to buy a great band for your wedding set without having the set to try it on with, anyway.

I give my husband the equivalent example... of me buying him tinny (boat) or a car, or an important type of machinery.
Would he want to be involved in the purchase? He** to the yeah! He doesn't even like me buying his clothes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results