kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These things are tough.
How do we know whom to believe?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the only one's you can believe I think are those who have their original GIA cert and the numbers don't match, but I suppose then again, someone could have switched their own stone in a scam.

My stone was sold to me back in 88 as a 1.66 tcw VS2 G/H color, I recently had it appraised and it came in as a VVS2, I color, 1.61 tcw, AGS 2 stone.. I felt like somewhere along my resets over the years that this wasn't the first stone I had been given.. my husband said the 1.66 and 1.61 are within common weight average and maybe my stone was a VS2 but in AGS it's a VVS2.. after reading all I have, I've decided that it's best to deal with jeweler's who have impeccable reputations and also for both you and the jeweler to map out the diamond before work.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had one of my SI-2 diamonds reset, the jeweler took the time to make sure that I got my same stone back.
We both louped my stone, and noted the distinctive inclusion. After the reset, the jeweler made sure I saw clearly that I was getting my original stone back.
Of course, I know my stone, and it's inclusion very well.
I would've known right away if it had been switched, but it was good of him to be professional about it.

However, one of my other diamonds is a VVS, and if I were to ever have it reset, I would be more concerned!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't even get me started on Kay's. One of my niece's purchased her wedding set from Kay's and when she took her wedding ring in to be sized they gave her a yellow gold ring. Her wedding set is white gold and she brought in a white gold ring to be sized. They actually argued with her and told her the yellow gold ring was her ring. They did nothing and did not offer to fix their mix up. She is now wearing a yellow gold wedding ring even though it clearly states on her receipt that both rings were white gold. I have no idea how they manage to stay in business. Kay's switching stones would not surprise me at all.

Q

Queenie60

I had a jeweler switch my stone 8 years ago. I did not know that it was switched until I found out that he had been arrested for switching stones. Thank goodness I had insurance and my insurance company promptly wrote a check. The jeweler went to jail for 2 years and is probably in business in another state. Crooks!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was growing up my mother knew a number of people that had their stones switched by a local jeweller in a small country town. They prosecuted him and got money but in many cases lost beautiful antique family heirlooms. I think dishonesty can happen anywhere and it pays to do research and make sure the particular jeweller you use has a good reputation.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
One of the lessons stories like this tell us is why the internet (esp. forums like PS) are so valuable.

Even without visiting your local jeweler (though that is also valuable) it is possible to become an educated consumer, own and know how to use a jeweler's loupe, be able to identify YOUR diamond's clarity characteristics and read your inscriptions.

I advise my friends and family to know their diamond like they know their own children. And, your diamond never talks back.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1464319330|4036770 said:
When I was growing up my mother knew a number of people that had their stones switched by a local jeweller in a small country town. They prosecuted him and got money but in many cases lost beautiful antique family heirlooms. I think dishonesty can happen anywhere and it pays to do research and make sure the particular jeweller you use has a good reputation.

I agree, and I know this is a true statement because I saw it happen once. Not a diamond being switched, but a diamond being damaged by the bench and taken away and recut, then remounted and no one ever told the customer about any of it. I did not work for that outfit much longer. It was a well-respected locally owned mom & pop shop, and the place still has a great reputation. I'm guessing that's because the customer never found out, and I'm also guessing that's why there "wasn't enough business to warrant 2 full timers" and I was laid off shortly after I watched the whole thing go down with the customer, store manager, bench, and owner. I feel gross even talking about it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1464302644|4036674 said:
When I had one of my SI-2 diamonds reset, the jeweler took the time to make sure that I got my same stone back.
We both louped my stone, and noted the distinctive inclusion. After the reset, the jeweler made sure I saw clearly that I was getting my original stone back.
Of course, I know my stone, and it's inclusion very well.
I would've known right away if it had been switched, but it was good of him to be professional about it.

However, one of my other diamonds is a VVS, and if I were to ever have it reset, I would be more concerned!

In the jewelry biz, this is the acknowledged way (including in GIA texts) to intake a diamond. It's what I do on the rare occasion my diamond is out of my hands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results