shape
carat
color
clarity

Kate Winslet article

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What an awkward article.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an odd article. I''m not sure what the point of it was. I also think that Kates description of her childhood doesn''t sound that bad compared to how some children are raised. So what if her dad was a postman. I''m really confused by the whole thing.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 1:20:19 PM
Author: Maisie
What an odd article. I''m not sure what the point of it was. I also think that Kates description of her childhood doesn''t sound that bad compared to how some children are raised. So what if her dad was a postman. I''m really confused by the whole thing.
I didn''t really get the article either...glad it wasn''t just me!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I thought so too...I imagine it is hard to live in a sibling''s shadow, but that''s life. I would just be happy for her success. I can''t imagine she wouldn''t have tried to help them financially as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t understand the article either.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Awkward.
32.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting this, Niccia. Kate Winslet is my most favorite and respected actor, and the one I most look up to, professionally. I love reading about her history.

I didn't find it odd or awkward at all. It made a lot of sense to me, I actually found it quite interesting (though not surprising... I hear stories like this every day). Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, because I didn't read it the same way the rest of you seem to have done.

Kate's sisters' stories are just like 95% of the actors out there. A very, very small percentage are able to make a living only through their craft. Admittedly, the fact that their sister has succeeded where they have failed must add insult to injury, but at the same time, they are not the only talented (if we're assuming that they are) actors out there who struggle to find the next job (paying or otherwise). That's the only part of the article that felt awkward to me - the fact that their story is in no way remarkable, except for the fact that their sister is famous.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just seemed strange saying her dad was a postman and they slept in bunkbeds. My boys sleep in bunkbeds. I didn''t realise it was an indication of how poor someone is.
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I found the article confusing is because I don''t understand what motivated it. Its obviously not from the sisters. Is the paper trying to give Kate a bad reputation? If so, is it because they don''t like her success? She obviously worked hard to get where she is. I can understand that actors need a decent break to get them started but its not just a case of being at the right place at the right time. You need to be able to act too.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:51:35 PM
Author: musey
Thank you for posting this, Niccia. Kate Winslet is my most favorite and respected actor, and the one I most look up to, professionally. I love reading about her history.
My FI loves and respects her too (has the biggest crush on her). Ever since he saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:55:01 PM
It just seemed strange saying her dad was a postman and they slept in bunkbeds. My boys sleep in bunkbeds. I didn''t realise it was an indication of how poor someone is.
9.gif
I don''t think it is, but maybe sleeping arrangements like that are not as commonplace in the UK as they are in the US.

Noting that her father worked as a postman wasn''t a "we were so poor, my father was only a lowly postman" comment. It was a "my father wanted to be an actor, but instead he worked delivering mail and laying tarmac" comment. At least, that''s how I read it. I suppose that I am not Kate Winslet so I can''t say what exactly that meant!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get you on the job thing, I mustn't have read it properly. I live in the UK and bunkbeds are really common place here. I think most people I know with kids have bunks. Maybe thats why I found the bunkbed comment strange.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:57:25 PM
The reason I found the article confusing is because I don't understand what motivated it. Its obviously not from the sisters. Is the paper trying to give Kate a bad reputation? If so, is it because they don't like her success? She obviously worked hard to get where she is. I can understand that actors need a decent break to get them started but its not just a case of being at the right place at the right time. You need to be able to act too.
That I can see - I assumed everyone thought the content/story. was odd, as opposed to the motivation behind sharing the content/story.

I think that they're trying to insinuate that the sisters are equally talented, yet Kate got the break. Whether that's true we'll likely never know. I would venture to guess that the sisters may have lesser talents and also have not been given breaks.

I can understand that actors need a decent break to get them started but its not just a case of being at the right place at the right time. You need to be able to act too.
Being in the right place at the right time is 100% necessary. There's no such thing as simply working hard and moving up the food chain in this industry. There has to be a stroke of luck at some point. Being able to act will just increase your chances at the stroke of luck.

The most common scenarios an actor lives through:

1) Have the talent, but don't have the drive, get lucky once or twice, then fade away (due to lack of drive)

2) Have the talent, have the drive, get lucky once or twice and stick around (due to having the drive)

3) Have the talent, have the drive, never get lucky (this is where, I think, the article insinuates that the "other" Winslet sisters fall)

4) Don't have the talent but think they do, have the drive, get lucky (no thanks to their talent) and hang on for dear life

5) Don't have the talent but think they do, don't have the drive, never get lucky, become carpenter.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:17:25 PM
I get you on the job thing, I mustn't have read it properly. I live in the UK and bunkbeds are really common place here. I think most people I know with kids have bunks.
Then I don't know
shrug1.gif
maybe it was all just to demonstrate the vast divide between how she grew up and how she lives. I'd assume that her kids each have their own bedrooms. That's not necessarily to say than bunk beds = poor, just that bunk beds doesn't often = filthy swimming in it rich.

Though I'd bet a lot of filthy rich kids STILL want bunk beds because they're so darn fun!!!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Musey :) I read it the way you did. I just think it is strange and quite mean that the paper would write an article like that about her, as if to make her feel guilty for her success. I also admire her a lot.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:19:22 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/20/2009 2:17:25 PM
I get you on the job thing, I mustn''t have read it properly. I live in the UK and bunkbeds are really common place here. I think most people I know with kids have bunks.
Then I don''t know
shrug1.gif
maybe it was all just to demonstrate the vast divide between how she grew up and how she lives. I''d assume that her kids each have their own bedrooms. That''s not necessarily to say than bunk beds = poor, just that bunk beds doesn''t often = filthy swimming in it rich.

Though I''d bet a lot of filthy rich kids STILL want bunk beds because they''re so darn fun!!!
Well if the truth be known my boys have bunkbeds in their room because its the size of a postage stamp lol! The girls struck lucky with a massive bedroom!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
They need to get over themselves!!!
Kate Winslet is a very talented actress, and has worked hard to get where she is. Here''s a thought- Perhaps she is famous and they aren''t because she is actually a GOOD ACTRESS!

All I think of when I read those quotes from her sisters is "wah, wah, wah"
39.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kate Winslet is one of my favorites. It's a shame about this article, but I do think along with Musey's thoughts that it's just life that only some become famous.

What struck me as interesting, is that in the first photo of Kate, she doesn't look very flattering. In fact, she looks like she'd come off as rude and b*tchy. There is the other one with the gun, too, where she doesn't look her best. I think that was done on purpose!
38.gif

I think Kate has a huge fan base and most people will just roll their eyes at viewpoints displayed in the article.

Oh, and Maisie, my kids had bunk beds up until they were 5 & 7. It wasn't until we moved that they each got their own room. *** FUNNY thing is BOTH my kids ask me to make their beds back into the bunk bed style (they have a bed set that converts too/from a bunk).

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, those photos you refer to are of her sisters. I agree that Kates fans won''t be swayed by this article. I like her a lot.

I can understand your boys wanting the bunk beds back. They are great fun for climbing on!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:46:06 PM
MC, those photos you refer to are of her sisters. I agree that Kates fans won't be swayed by this article. I like her a lot.
HAHAHA!!! I wasn't reading too closely. How hilarious. She looks like a not-so-nice-version of Kate. Okay, that sums it up.

ETA - I cannot stop laughing. They print a horrible photo of Beth and expect us to sympathize with her while she is glaring into the camera.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I think that article was bizarre, because I don't see the point of it. I also don't think it paints Kate in a bad light at all. She's famous, her sisters aren't. Her family weren't particularly well off growing up. SO WHAT?!? Nothing strange anywhere...I want to know who wrote that article and why!
33.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:39:17 PM
Author: Tuckins1

Kate Winslet is a very talented actress, and has worked hard to get where she is. Here''s a thought- Perhaps she is famous and they aren''t because she is actually a GOOD ACTRESS!

All I think of when I read those quotes from her sisters is ''wah, wah, wah''
39.gif

haha this is exactly what i was thinking.. her sisters sound really bitter.

if they wont'' even accept any opportunities/scripts that kate may have presented to them they have nothing to complain about.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 4:34:00 PM
Author: Namaste
Date: 2/20/2009 2:39:17 PM

Author: Tuckins1

All I think of when I read those quotes from her sisters is ''wah, wah, wah''
39.gif

haha this is exactly what i was thinking.. her sisters sound really bitter.

if they wont'' even accept any opportunities/scripts that kate may have presented to them they have nothing to complain about.

How do the sisters sound bitter or ''wah, wah, wah''? There isn''t a single quote from one of the sisters in the entire article! The only direct quote from a family member is attributed to the mother, Sally.

>>Sally Winslet said, in an unguarded moment after Kate became famous: ''We are utterly sick of all the attention that Kate''s career has brought.''

She went on: ''Anna is a very talented and hard-working actress who deserves to make it on her own.''
This quote couldn''t have come from an interview for this article as Sally said it years ago, after Kate became famous. If she in fact did say this, I don''t see anything wrong with what she said. She is implying here (imo) that her daughters aren''t in it for celebrity but for the love of the work. They don''t want or need the attention of Kate''s celebrity.

The only other supposed quote is:

>>They struggle with it, saying things like ''There are no stars in this family'', by which they hope to indicate an equal loyalty to all three of them.
Here the author takes a line that Kate''s parents may or may not have said, that any number of parents of more than one child has probably said, and presumes to know the motivation behind the statement!

To me it seems that the writer of this article is trying to create dissension even though no evidence of it exists. She obviously did a good job because some of us believe that the sisters are whining about Kate''s fame when the facts (as reported in the very same article) are that they support their sister, do not want to exploit her fame for their own gain, and are leading productive lives. Maybe the writer is jealous of her own sister and projecting those feelings onto Beth and Anna, LOL.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So very sad. I don''t believe for a minute they aren''t jealous. Of course they are! That would be NORMAL IMHO! Beth does look a lot like Kate. I respect both sisters want to make it on their own but I do think it is cutting off their nose to spite their face. Isn''t Hollywood a lot about connections?

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I''m suprised its taken the British press this long to write a negative review of Kate........is this the best they could come up with??

Y''see its been all been very, very positive about her over the last few months, she''s the darling of the showbiz media here just now because she''s doing so well however IMHO the cracks are starting to show.

The press like a success story and a fame but you can''t just enjoy fame you have to ''earn'' it and for it to be flawless, no skeletons in the closet. The Daily Mail are looking for negative press here because well, Kate''s had it too good for a while now and needs brought down to earth with a bump.

For some reason you can''t be ''too'' successful in this country, it doesn''t fly too well, the press like stripping people down when they''re on a high which I find really sad. No matter what there will always be someone writing a negative article when one isn''t required.

I highly doubt that Kate hasn''t taken care of all her family financially which has allowed them to continue their ''jobless'' acting careers, how else would they live. They have probably also chosen to live where they do because it reflects their lives and don''t want to appear to be living through their sister/daughter. Kate has become a huge star because she is a talented actress and shouldn''t make apologies for that because her sisters haven''t made it. We each make choices in life that have good or bad consequences and the Daily Mail are desperately digging around for a negative story and like I said, this is the best they could come up with!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just odd...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think what I found so odd about the article was that it made fame seems as if it was something that should be fair and balanced. As if simply because Kate has had success in the industry that means her sisters should as well. Which, sadly, is not the case (well, at least not here in the United States). Any sibling actors/actresses that do exsist here require both people to have genuine talent, we don''t go ga-ga over shared genes alone...

For example...Beyonce and Solange Knowles. Beyonce is uber-talented...Solange, on the other hand, has lukewarm talent. They both had the same management, same opportunities...however, one sister turned into a super star while the other did not.

And as far as Kate''s mom goes...
6.gif
. First of all, I can understand wanting to make everyone feel that within the walls of family, everyone is equal. But, at the same time, you must acknowledge to success of you child when/if it comes! IMHO, when she says "there are no stars in this house" it''s as if she''s taking something away from Kate. Kate is a star. She has worked very hard to get where she is. How dare anyone take that away from her just to come off as fair and balanced.

I don''t think anyone who chooses a life of potential celebritity wishes to remain anonymous. I am sure that Kate''s sisters hope for the big break every time they accept a role, or step on stage. It''s unfortunate it hasn''t come naturally, however blowing out Kate''s candle to make their burn brighter is the wrong way to go about things.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand what was "newsworthy" about this odd article...at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results