Just received the results of my FGA...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Pandora!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1314296736|2999401 said:
Lottie UK|1314296005|2999390 said:
Pandora, I hope you don't mind but I wondered if you could answer a couple of questions for me -

Am assuming you did the 1 year certificate course before the Diploma - can you remember roughly how much study time you had to put in per week for the cert, and did you do the course via open distance learning or actually at Gem-A?

Many Thanks
Lottie

I did it at Gem-A - two nights a week. I would say I did at least 6 hours extra a week and then at least 2 hours a night in the final month and a week off the week before. If you have a degree in Physics or Chemistry then you will have a good headstart though!

For the Diploma I did about the same, but spent nearly all evening, every evening for the final month revising plus a whole week at my parents the week before. I'm also lucky that I have a pretty big study stone collection so revising for the practical wasn't too bad.

I started out doing the distance learning but had to stop a couple of months in due to a court case and being pregnant with the baby due two weeks before the exam. The distance way isn't as bad as it was in the old course-notes (assignments that took nearly a whole weekend every 2-3 weeks) but having done both it's so much better doing it on-site for the immediate help, the stones you will see, the other people you meet, the extras you pick up through general chit chat etc. You also get to sit mock papers for the Diploma practical in the last few months which is really useful.

It's a fun course but the exams are worse than A-levels...

Are you thinking of signing up?

Thanks Pandora thats really helpful. I looked into it about eighteen months ago and really wanted to go for it but the timing wasn't right. Now that my son is one and my daughter is at pre school I would definately find studying a more realistic goal. I live in the west country so ODL is the only option for me but I do have family in London to stay with for the lab classes and exams etc.

Nearly four years of full time motherhood has been wonderful, but I am definately ready to rejoin the real world and I really want to study something that is both challenging and that I have a genuine interest in.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way to go Pandora!

congratulations_comment_25.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1314297810|2999422 said:
Thanks Pandora thats really helpful. I looked into it about eighteen months ago and really wanted to go for it but the timing wasn't right. Now that my son is one and my daughter is at pre school I would definately find studying a more realistic goal. I live in the west country so ODL is the only option for me but I do have family in London to stay with for the lab classes and exams etc.

Nearly four years of full time motherhood has been wonderful, but I am definately ready to rejoin the real world and I really want to study something that is both challenging and that I have a genuine interest in.

My daughter is now two and it was a lot easier this year than last to find the time to study. I must admit that going out 2 evenings a week was also a total lifesaver!

If you've got somewhere to stay in London for the lab classes that is a real help! I think they now have online tutor groups for the ODL students which is a big plus from the old system.

You'll get a shock when you see the tiny HQ - the difference between it and the GIA HQ is unbelievable! The staff are all super-nice though. I'm really sad I've finished - I almost thought about going back to do the DGA, except I have zero interest in diamonds. They do run gem club every month and so I'll do that - you may find that there is a group near you that do the same.

Its a great course and I really recommend it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done Pandy!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1314298856|2999440 said:
Lottie UK|1314297810|2999422 said:

My daughter is now two and it was a lot easier this year than last to find the time to study. I must admit that going out 2 evenings a week was also a total lifesaver!

If you've got somewhere to stay in London for the lab classes that is a real help! I think they now have online tutor groups for the ODL students which is a big plus from the old system.

You'll get a shock when you see the tiny HQ - the difference between it and the GIA HQ is unbelievable! The staff are all super-nice though. I'm really sad I've finished - I almost thought about going back to do the DGA, except I have zero interest in diamonds. They do run gem club every month and so I'll do that - you may find that there is a group near you that do the same.

Its a great course and I really recommend it!

Thank you and congratulations again.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Well done pandora!! :appl:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATS!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations pandora!! Well done

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Pandora!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Pandora!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way to go, Pandora! Congratulations!! :appl: :appl:

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Pandora.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never had any doubt that you would. Congratulations!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Huge congrats Pandora!!! Well done :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew you would! Congratulations!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all - I'm feeling particularly relieved this morning as I've heard from some of my classmates and so far only 4 of us have passed and the ones I haven't heard from yet are unlikely to have done.

The theory part is what most people failed which is a real shock as everyone came out of the papers feeling really happy. I know the pass rate is only 45% but people who I thought would walk it have failed. :blackeye: I'm really sad as the graduation ceremony in November won't be nearly as fun, and two of my best friends now won't be there... very bittersweet,

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1314365552|3000138 said:
Thank you all - I'm feeling particularly relieved this morning as I've heard from some of my classmates and so far only 4 of us have passed and the ones I haven't heard from yet are unlikely to have done.

The theory part is what most people failed which is a real shock as everyone came out of the papers feeling really happy. I know the pass rate is only 45% but people who I thought would walk it have failed. :blackeye: I'm really sad as the graduation ceremony in November won't be nearly as fun, and two of my best friends now won't be there... very bittersweet,

Thats a real shame - its always more fun to share a victory with others, will they be able to retake the exam soon? This does highlight what an huge acheivement it was for you to pass though, you must be so proud of yourself.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
They will retake in January I would think - doubly annoying as the retakes are $$$. The graduation ceremony is also once a year in November so it will be a long wait for them.

I'm just so suprised that they didn't pass - the overall pass rate is much higher for students who study on-site and almost everyone in my class had at least one degree, many of them in physics or chemistry. The people I know of who failed are all seriously bright and really knew their stuff, and going through the papers in the pub after the exams everyone seemed to have answered the questions correctly.

I guess they didn't put enough detail or something - the theory exams are a mix of short paragraph answers and essays complete with tables, diagrams, drawings etc so you can put huge amounts down if you wish. They're not multichoice or anything like that. The pass mark is also 70%...

You can have papers remarked or sent with an examiners report for a fee and I know at least one person is getting a remark.

I am proud of myself for passing, but don't feel like celebrating...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excellent news, Pandora! Congratulations!!!!

We are so lucky to have such knowledgeable posters on PS.

_BUQARI_

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats - that's wonderful!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! A well-deserved degree.
Sorry it is my second post, I thought I already congratulated you, but decided to leave it... one more congratulation never hurts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results