shape
carat
color
clarity

Just purchased this grey spinel...

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Inspiration ring attached, but looking to do it in white gold - possibly white/yellow depending on side stones.

Was thinking of Moissanite for the side stones, or perhaps yellow sapphires or something similar. Thoughts?

The spinel measures 8.92 x 7.29 x 4.71, what size side stones do you think would be good?

162FD68E-CF44-4D64-8179-0CC6014B0D20.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, I love me a three stone!
My ring avatar is also a spinel @9x7. I have a thread on it if you're inclined to look.
I chose to go with warm oec moissanites for my side stones in 4mm and I'm really pleased with the proportion of the whole thing.
Size depends on if you're looking for accent or traditional proportions.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you managed to beg a nice grey Spinel after losing out on the previous one that you posted. ;)2

The issue I have with mixing CS with simulants is that I do not believe I could post the finished ring in the CS section, and it does not seem right to post it only in the Fashion Jewellery section!

Anyway, how about 3 small round stones on both sides of the Spinel, like this setting of my oval white Zircon with Sapphire sides?

imag0397.jpg

Just a suggestion.

DK :))

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone!
Yellow sapphire as sides sounds intriguing, but if me
Id need to see just exactly where the grey shifts to in different lightings in my environment before I decided on yellow as being complementary. Then the subject of just what shades of yellow is available to me in matching sidestones...........
I’m thinking my grey from finewater took on both purple and green at different times, it’s been so long since I’ve seen it...I think it would have been difficult to find a yellow to go with both? Don’t know- could be wrong of course!

Now warm moissys....I think that’d be pretty :)

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stones.

I love grey in combination with vivid neon colors - Jedi spinel or Paraiba.

I agree that the gray could look great with vivid side stones: gray + vivid red spinel is a combo I think of often (lol).

That said, have you received your spinel, yet? Each grey spinel I have has different secondary hues, and some shift in their gray tone more than others. I bring this up because I think the secondary color might impact what color side stones you might want (unless your gray spinel has no secondary). I'd pair red spinel with some of my gray stones, but not others.

However, white side stones also contrast very nicely against gray spinel. The gray spinel ring I wear has small side synthetic stones that aren't to be discussed in this forum, and it looks great. Very versatile and goes with everything.

Last edited:

Candylover

Rough_Rock
Hey! You should go for white gold, it is never wrong and it will make sure the other stones POP. As for side stones maybe something in neon colour? I am not sure on the side stones as I also just purchased two pairs of dark grey spinels and got stuck on the design. They are very dark, maybe slightly darker than yours but I like how they shine on the video from the supplier. Possibly looking to turn them into earrings. Wondering if I should do one pair or two pairs....also, would it be considered expensive that I paid $800 for them?? The prices I see online are so varied. VideoCapture_20200720-153602.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would opt for neon pink side stones.

DK :))

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you don't care to have it be colored stones or the grey doesn't work with colored stones there are other options. Lab diamonds or spinel, sapphire, and topaz all come in a clear/white stone. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. Good luck with your decision. I think your inspiration photo is beautiful. Makes me not want to mix a bright color with your stone.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! You should go for white gold, it is never wrong and it will make sure the other stones POP. As for side stones maybe something in neon colour? I am not sure on the side stones as I also just purchased two pairs of dark grey spinels and got stuck on the design. They are very dark, maybe slightly darker than yours but I like how they shine on the video from the supplier. Possibly looking to turn them into earrings. Wondering if I should do one pair or two pairs....also, would it be considered expensive that I paid $800 for them?? The prices I see online are so varied. VideoCapture_20200720-153602.jpg

They really sparkle- very pretty! What about doing studs and having the pears be on a removable part for dangles? Best of both worlds!

Candylover

Rough_Rock
They really sparkle- very pretty! What about doing studs and having the pears be on a removable part for dangles? Best of both worlds!

I like that! It has also become popular having a versatile earring. I am still worried about the price I have paid but I do like the stones as they shined so much on the video considering it was shot indoors...still haven't told hubby of my impulse buy...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think white stones would look great. You can choose small diamonds as well which pairs nicely with a band. Here is my blue spinel with small diamonds in platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results