shape
carat
color
clarity

Just had my first legit celeb sighting since living in LA!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 8:44:29 PM
Author:rockzilla
So, I am really bad at this seeing celebrities thing. I've lived in LA for two years now but...either I don't see them at all, or I don't recognize them, or they're not really celebrities...

LOL, same here (and I have lived here my whole life). And not to mention that I really don't care if I seem them or not... the only one I have seen is Alec Baldwin (pre disturbing Voicemail left for daughter) at a Sushi restaurant that I go to all the time. I didn't even notice him and wouldn't have noticed him if my FI didn't point him out.. LOL... shows how "in tune" I am...

I kinda figure they are normal people (eat and poop just like regular people) and if I were in their position I wouldn't want to be ogled in public (maybe some of them like it, but I sure wouldn't)...

I really do not undersand all the Beckham hype...
5.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
It was at the Century City mall...don''t know if he''s represented by CAA or not, but since they''ve moved into Century City there has been a lot more entertainment action around here...

On one hand I want to feel sorry for celebs with the paparazzi...but for the vast majority of them, there is a very simple solution to not being harassed all of the time: MOVE OUT OF LA! Sure, the big big stars like Diana will be followed all over the world, but most of them would just be left alone. But, they need the publicity to keep their careers hot...and then they complain about it. Oh well..

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
While we're on this topic - I just received my W Magazine today with Mr. & Mrs. Beckham on the cover. Wow did they look yucky to me. So I thought no big deal, I can just cut the front off this magazine so I don't have to see this lying around my house. Then I saw their soft **** photo shoot inside. It went on and on. I really thought it was gross. I am afraid I just don't see the fabulousness of these two.

And, yah, you were sure right. He has *a lot* of tattoos - all over.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rock, it is now the Westfield Century City Mall! I grew up going there, pre Bloomies, and it was a great place to walk around on a nice day. We did our grocery shopping at Gelsons, later, they would actually valet your car and load all your bags, because the mall parking was so crazy that people were not shopping there. It is my favorite grocery store of large size. I also used to see stars in Brentwood (Montana Ave), on Sunset Plaza, on Robertson (the Ivy) and in Santa Monica (all over, but esp the Ivy and Fred Segal), on Melrose, and in Westwood. Since I grew up there and had friends and family in the entertainment industry, I did get a bit Oh who cares over it, and laughed that for as much as they would complain, the celebs would certainly not be happy if the day came where NO ONE cared that they were out and about...but I do think it can be tough.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I've had quite a few sightings in my life. I went to high school with Jameson Parker's kids. He was on Simon and Simon in the 80s, so I've met him a bunch of times. Their god father is Ted Danson... could you imagine? I also baby sat for the child of a movie producer...Can't think of their last name right now. I've also met/seen Steven Tyler from Aerosmith several times as well as his parents and Liv. They have a summer house near my hometown in NH.

I used to go to DC all the time when I was a kid, because my Dad lived there. My brother and I had many a celeb sightings at Dulles. The lol 'biggest' one I can remember seeing was Heavy D (lol, it was the 90s).

I've also seen Donny Osmond, and Robert Dreyfus in Boston. Oh, and I've seen Nancy Kerrigan several times and Tina from the Real World. They both live in the Boston area.

Apparently Kevin Costner and his family, as well as the Quinn family (as in Anthony Quinn), have houses in Bristol, RI where my bf went to college. Whenever we're there I'm on the lookout for someone "familiar".

Oh, and I met Tom DeLong (from Blink 182) at the San Diego airport. I don't know if this counts either but my friend's husband is a pro lacrosse player so I've met a bunch of players. His dad used to play for the Colts in the late 70s early 80s so I've met him too. It's so weird to see my friend's father in law on ESPN clip shows...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.....Here are my "STAR" Sightings:

1. Edie Gormet kissed me (well my cheeck actually). I was in Vegas in business meetings and I got on the elevator and this lady was already there, wearing tattered jeans and sun glasses and her head was covered in a bandana or something like that. She noticed my name tag and city and commented that she had been in my city before and then we just started chatting, all the while, me not knowing who I was speaking with. But she was really nice and friendly. Then she asked if I was going to see any shows while I was in town and I was tempted to say, oh Steve and Edie are entertaining here and I'm not really into seeing them, but I decided to just say that our company kept us too busy for us to see any shows. Then she said she needed to be somewhere and I said I needed to be back in my meeting and we went opposite directions. Then......BAM......It HIT me......I had just spent the last five minutes talking to Edie Gormet, so I ran back and found her and said something stupid like........"So, Wow.....It just dawned on me that your Edie Gormet and I really enjoyed speaking with you," to which she replied........."Oh, you're very sweet" and then she kissed my cheeck. Good thing I never said I wasn't interested in seeing her show..........LOL

2. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. For the same company, we were in Hawaai at the Four Seasons resort on the big island and upon checkin, they took us on a tour in a golf cart and standing in the middle of the path was a man with his back to us and he was short, but somehow familiar. Then he turns and looks at us and we realize OMG it's Bruce Willis. So, for the next week we ran into Bruce and Demi and their kids Skywalker or Stars or something whatever their worldly names are and their nanny, and we even sat in the hot tub with them once. They were very nice, but we never really said anything like......"Gee, we love your movies!!" One morning we went to breakfast and they were at the table next to us and he looked over and said "good morning" and we "good morning'ed" him back.

I've seen some TV actors along the way. We live in the same town as Hulk Hogan. And there's the "You Can Do It" guy from informercials who works out at our gym. I think his name is Tony Little or something?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 3:25:59 PM
Author: blushingbride
Living in New York City I''ve seen Mike Meyers, Claire Danes, Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz (when they first started dating), Kerri Russel, Ashlee Olsen, Joan Rivers - these were all in restaurants or on the street.

Paul Teutul, Sr.from American Chopper rode his motocycle past my buidling, Martha Stewart whose office is in my building for work, Dan Lauria - the dad from the Wonder Years (random), Sarah Jessica Parker w/ her son and nanny, Freddi Prince Jr. shooting a movie and Diane Swayer/Charlie Gibson/Robin Roberts from GMA, etc (I work right near where their summer concerts are performed so, I get to see all the stars who perform at the concerts too since my window faces the stage).

When I think about it, I probably pass someone famous everyday just walking to and from work!
Oh I forgot to add that I was eating dinner next to Christian Slater with his ex-wife (his wife at the time) having dinner with Luke and Owen Wilson along with some other randoms at the Beligio in Las Vegas. First of all, Luke Wilson must have gone to the bathroom about 10 times during the course of the evening....hmmmmmmmm....wonder why?
11.gif
38.gif
Both my table their table were leaving around the same time so I was standing next to Christian Slater at one point, let me just say he is a very short man! I was surprised...

suzi

Shiny_Rock
My husband is the celebrity connection in our family. He grew up in the same Chicago neighborhood as Marilu Henner. They used to be in plays together in highschool. He also knows Richard Simmons. They met through mutual friends. He danced with Barbara Eden once at some kind of charity benefit once. When he was in college, he met Jimmy Carter and his wife (Jimmy was the president at the time so it was kind of a big deal...lol) He also met Caroline Kennedy at a party once (they were in a hot tub together when he met her...woo hoo).

The only celebrity I''ve ever met was Mike Ditka. We were invited to a party where he was the guest of honor. I actually got to talk to him for quite a little bit and he is a very entertaining and engaging man. I felt a little silly doing it, but I did ask for his autograph because my dad was always a big fan of his. He was so sweet and very willingly gave the autograph. He did ask if the autograph was for me, and I admitted that it was for my dad, since he was the big football fan of the family. I told him that I was more of a baseball fan, and he winked at me and said "that''s okay, I am too!"
9.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Century City Mall!! I currently live very close.

Diamondfan - I was just thinking about the Ivy and Fred Segal as I read this thread... Those two are guaranteed celeb sighting places.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kitten, they are hot for sure. I grew up there, so I went to high school etc with stars, dated the son of someone well known, had friends whose parents were well known (some behind the scenes, some more known to the public) I saw many stars while shopping or at the doctors, or getting my hair and nails done, and my son went to a pre school in LA that was star central. I even sat next to Tom Cruise and he and I were chatting and I had NO IDEA who he was til I got home...but you do get a bit jaded. I trick or treated at Lucille Ball and Gene Kelly''s house, both neighbors, I played with his daughter. Rob Reiner''s dad, Carl, lived across the street from me and Barbara Mandrell rented the house next to us for a while. Grwoing up I played with Marvin Gaye III at his house, and my best friend in middle school''s dad owned a record companu so I meet Kiss without their makeup and Donna Summer when I would hang out at their house. (Her dad also produced the movie Foxes with Jodi Foster but I got sick when they were filming some scenes, she had a group of us she invited to be in a couple scenes, she played the little sister to one of the girls...I was so mad I missed it!) It was cool and fun, but I think if you grow up with it all around you, you sort of pay less attention. I honestly could not count have many stars I have seen, because back then, most of them went out, without tons of bodyguards and paparrazi, so you would bump into them at Neiman''s or getting a coffee, and it was calmer...

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 7:21:40 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/23/2007 8:55:03 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Woo Hoo...funny thing is he is a import Celebrity...huh? But I think he is more like royalty. So I think you get double credit for that ranking of sighting. Good Job! What was he doing there? The mall? Like.... Like...Oh My Gosh!! Totally dude!

Too cool. Hey this is a fun subject for a new thread...Celebrity sightings!!

DKS
rofl.. you silly.
9.gif

Steve sees celebs all the time because of his work. Go figure.
20.gif

I''ve only known a few myself.. mostly sports since my uncle played major league baseball.. I only know one actor who''s a sweetheart we have dinner with when he is in town.

I''d only ever wanted to see one ''celeb'' and that was Princess Diana.. and well, that never happened of course.

All in all, I like how handlers dress celebs (for the most part), love their jewelry.. but they''re people just like us, just on the screen and the paparazzi don''t let them run normal lives. They just dont thrill me anymore. Too much publicity... kwim?
DH got to see Princess Diana when she was here in Chicago years ago. It still breaks my heart that she is gone.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Beckham!!! WOw!!!
I would love to see him! MY hubby is driving to Boston, (from Canada) to watch him play in a couple of weeks. You could say we are Beckham fans...lol
Oh, and even in sunglasses I would recognize that gorgeous man. I can see passed all the tattoos to what God blessed him with!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Rockzilla-- It''s so funny that you posted this, because just this last weekend, my fiance and I were crawling in traffic in the Sepulveda Pass on Sunday afternoon alongside Victoria Beckham!

Seriously, that couple is doing the exact OPPOSITE of trying to be discrete. The only reason we noticed her was that there were two identical, black, chromed-out SUVs driving erratically without license plates travelling in tandem, and the NBC pilot which highly featured those cars had been playing in the background on the TV in a hotel bar last week. Also, how "out there" do you have to be to be seen and identified in an open-air mall by someone in... a neighboring skyscraper? LOL

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 4:41:26 PM
Author: Sophie
Beckham!!! WOw!!!
I would love to see him! MY hubby is driving to Boston, (from Canada) to watch him play in a couple of weeks. You could say we are Beckham fans...lol
Oh, and even in sunglasses I would recognize that gorgeous man. I can see passed all the tattoos to what God blessed him with!
Yes, he is a very good looking man - but I just heard him talk a few days ago. don''t you think he has a funny (ie high pitched) voice. I wasn''t expecting that.
When we lived in LA. I only saw Bridget Fonda and Eric Stoltz (when they were dating) at a very eccentric Italian Restaurant in Playa Del Rey. I would not have noctice unless my boyfriend (now husband) hadn''t pointed them out (they were the only other couple in the place). He just noticed him from the movie Three days in the Valley".
We both went to grad school in LA so my boyfriend saw many people at UCLA. Jay Leno on Sunset and he regularly saw John Lithgow walking his dogs near the parking garage at UCLA. I love John Lithgow, so I was a little jealous.

We did see Sean Penn in Georgetown, Washington DC.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
fleur-de-lis:

I wasn''t actually in my office building at the time (my eyes aren''t THAT good....I think I''d need super lasik surgery for that!)...I was actually taking a break to grab a frozen yogurt in the mall =) But I was going up an escalator to the food court...sorry, the "Al Fresco Dining Terrace" (can you get any more pretentious?)

They are definitely trying to up their exposure...that ridiculous reality show "Coming to America"...come on! If you want your privacy, you don''t move to LA and hang out at all the hotspots.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I must say I do get puzzled by these media hound types who then complain they have no privacy. Stop showing it, and maybe it will die down...I think years ago it WAS a bit calmer, but this hypocracy does annoy me. If you were a plumber from Dubuque no one would be snapping your picture...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2007 12:32:07 AM
Author: Beacon
While we're on this topic - I just received my W Magazine today with Mr. & Mrs. Beckham on the cover. Wow did they look yucky to me. So I thought no big deal, I can just cut the front off this magazine so I don't have to see this lying around my house. Then I saw their soft **** photo shoot inside. It went on and on. I really thought it was gross. I am afraid I just don't see the fabulousness of these two.

HI:

I just got my mag too--but didn't feel adverse to their pics, inspite of the tats and Vic's stick bug appearance. But, in past, I have been turned off with other pics of celebs, like Madonna doing the *splits*
14.gif
(W photo's tend to the controversial IMHO).....
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to LA a few years ago for a vacation. The day we arrived in Hollywood we went to a sandwich shop about 2:00. It was pretty empty at that hour. In walk 3 females to the counter to order. My older daughter said, "That is Britney Spears over there." Not that it was thrilling for me, personally, but it was sort of fun to see a "star" within the first hour of our arrival. She was with her mother and sister. My daughter asked her if she''d take a picture, and she said, "No, my bad." Ugh. Anyway, we left and got in our car and our daughter took her picture when she walked out of the restaurant. Then that night, there was a movie premeire at the theatre opposite Grahman''s (too lazy to look for the correct spelling) Chinese Theatre. Tim Allen was the star of the movie and we saw him and other cast members, and Will Smith came. He was the most friendly to the fans and seems like a really nice guy. We saw Jane Seymour and she was beautiful. So we had fun with our celebrity sightings on our day in Hollywood!

DiamondFan, your life sounds like it could be written into a book!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, the funny thing is that that is just typical life where I lived. It is basically a one horse town in terms of the entertainment industry. If you are not in it you want to be, every waiter is a wanna be actor, the cliche is very true. It sounds exciting but I just assumed it was normal to go get a manicure and see Victoria Principal or go to school with Florence Henderson''s son. And as a good friend of mine pointed out, they put their pants on one leg at a time as well. So, for all we exalt them, they are just human too. Maybe better paid, and maybe a bit more glam, but they get colds and have fights with their hubbies and get mad at their kids. Funnily enough, I never wanted to be an actress, but really wanted to be a make up artist for the industry, til I realized they work terrible hours and have to be on set at the crack of dawn, to make the stars who partied hard all night and look like crud look like stars again!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, DiamondFan, we have similar stories. (Although different characters!) I grew up here too. And I love it. I lived in San Francisco for college... but I found my way back here.

Some of my family (and my hubby) are in the biz.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is tough to explain what it is like to people who are not. My grandfather was an actor, did pilots with Michael Landon and made a couple of movies with Stallone and Gene Wilder, he acted in the Yiddish theater back in the day. My father in law was a tv writer and wrote for shows I would bet everyone on this site has seen, either in the day or on Nick at Night, and my sister in law is in the business too. Again, not to minimize it, but they live somewhere, and it just so happens to be there. I live outside of Philly now and when people hear I grew up in Beverly Hills and went to Beverly Hills High School, that is their first question. But what is so odd to me is that now that I am here, it seems like so many famous people are from around here, or live here now, so it is really funny to me.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 10:37:51 PM
Author: diamondfan
It is tough to explain what it is like to people who are not. My grandfather was an actor, did pilots with Michael Landon and made a couple of movies with Stallone and Gene Wilder, he acted in the Yiddish theater back in the day. My father in law was a tv writer and wrote for shows I would bet everyone on this site has seen, either in the day or on Nick at Night, and my sister in law is in the business too. Again, not to minimize it, but they live somewhere, and it just so happens to be there. I live outside of Philly now and when people hear I grew up in Beverly Hills and went to Beverly Hills High School, that is their first question. But what is so odd to me is that now that I am here, it seems like so many famous people are from around here, or live here now, so it is really funny to me.

I agree. The whole LA thing is very hard to explain. For example, I have some old, friends who are now rock stars. It just blows me away to see how truly famous they are.

Although, going out to dinner with someone famous has its perks... free drinks, free food, GREAT service!

I''ve seen the downside too. Everyone wants something from them. And there are a lot of crazy people out there who have no boundaries.

Ahh! You''ve left us and moved to Philly? It must''ve have been a big adjustment to live in snow.

We were living in Beverly Hills. Then we moved to the west side. I loved living in BH. It was always, always safe. The police dept is absolutely amazing.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we moved we were living near the Bel Air gates, off of Beverly Glen and south of Sunset. I loved our neighborhood and our home, and it was tough to leave it...I had just remodeled it down to the studs and the neighborhood was so fantastic, easy access to the valley, Westwood, Century CIty, etc...

I actually do not mind the snow, it is not too bad here, but it is the ice that annoys me. Slippery and dangerous is the word...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 12:04:59 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 7/25/2007 12:32:07 AM
Author: Beacon
While we''re on this topic - I just received my W Magazine today with Mr. & Mrs. Beckham on the cover. Wow did they look yucky to me. So I thought no big deal, I can just cut the front off this magazine so I don''t have to see this lying around my house. Then I saw their soft **** photo shoot inside. It went on and on. I really thought it was gross. I am afraid I just don''t see the fabulousness of these two.

He doesn''t ''do'' anything for me.. and she looks plastic and wayyyy over thin.

I too think she is plastic
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've never really understood why people think "celebrities" are interesting to look at or catch a glimpse of. I think after living in LA for a few years and being grossly inconvenienced more times than I care to count, by tv/film crews shooting in areas where I needed to go, I've become not only disinterested in celebrities, I also quite disdain them as well! In fact, I go out of my way to NOT look or stare at them and I cannot even fathom wanting to ask someone for their autograph or a photo with me because I just dont give a rats patootie about them. There is such a frenzy in our society today over celebrities and it's really had a negative effect on society and youth in particular. Witness what I call the "famewhore syndrome"...People like Lindsey Lohan driving drunk all the time and people cant get enough of it. Someone like Paris Hilton, who IMO is a human waste of space and offers nothing meaningful to the world on any level, and people hold her up on a pedastal like she's a superhuman goddess. I dont get it at all. Who cares what Paris Hilton does on any given day. Or any other TV/film/sports celebrity for that matter. And dont get me started on the reality TV famewhore syndrome, a completely vacuous waste of "celebrities" that dont really DO anything at all except go from one reality show to the next (I'm looking at YOU Real World!)...I mean, dont these people have to ever get real jobs? Maybe I'm bitter because I actually work for a living and they schmooze for a living? But honestly? I just dont care at all about these people. Sure it's entertaining to hear snippets about them from time to time but I just cant get excited about actually seeing someone in person that I've seen on TV or in films. Maybe I'm just old and jaded...
20.gif
Or maybe living in NYC and LA (both having their fair share of celebrity residents and visitors) has just made me immune to the giddiness. All I can say is when I see all the hubbub around "Posh and Becks" I want to throw up. I just want them off my TV. Stat! I mean, she's just a professional famewhore shopaholic for whom the paparazzi flashbulbs are almost like a drug that she needs constantly in order to validate her meager existence. And her husband? Just looks like a pretty boy underwear model and when he opens his pretty mouth I think, "himbo!". I find myself hoping for their publicity demise because I feel like we're having them shoved down our collective throats right now. To me they're like liver and onions and I just want them to go away.

There, I'm done ranting. Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?
38.gif

*steps off soapbox*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl, I do get where you are coming from. Of course, I admire true talent and loved being entertained by them, but they breathe our air too. People like Paris annoy me no end, she is an empty headed twit and is famous for being born into money and being a blonde who loves being photographed. Apparently Niarcho''s family disdains her too, for they have more money than her family, and think she is trash who has been in jail, made a sex tape and thinks she is above the law. Clearly they are not impressed by her lineage or by her. I have nothing against a celebrity who works and loves it and entertains me in the process, and I enjoy seeing some of the fashion and bling. And since I grew up in LA and with family in the business, I do have a slightly more tolerant view, and it was fun to go on sets etc, BUT, the stars who are gross and obnoxious and think they are above it all, well, ick. And also, while I admire using your visability (and your money) when you are famous to help causes you believe in, I do NOT need a lecture from you about how to live my life, and I do not think you should abuse your celebrity and think just because I like your movies I agree with all your thoughts. Of course, some stars are very socially conscious and make good choices, but I think when you are all over the papers, and are just way out of control, it is sad. Sort of like watching a train wreck about to happen. If I were their mothers, I would not only not be proud, I would be worried sick and scared the next phone call I go was from the police telling me my kid had crashed their car, killed someone or overdosed. Too much privelege without the right groundwork is NOT a greaat thing in the end.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDL, my pop pop was in Little House on the Prairie for a couple of episodes and Michael loved him so much he used him in the pilot of his series Highway to Heaven with Helen Hayes and was always so lovely to him and my grandmother. My grandfather was so upset when he died, and also having lost my dad, his first born, to cancer, it was even harder. He was a nice man to an old guy and no matter what else went on in his life, he was good to my grandfather and I will not forget it.

Funny story, when I was really young, my grandfather did a lot of television work. He played an old man who got mugged and beaten on an episode of Police Woman with Angie Dickinson. I happened to see it, and really freaked, even though they told me after it was make believe. (I was supposed to be in bed while they watched it and snuck into the room to see him). They had to call him on the phone so I could talk to him because I thought he really was in the hospital in a coma!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results