shape
carat
color
clarity

Just curious, what makes a diamond look grayish/silver..................

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
Since I have been engaged and now married, I tend to glance more at other diamond rings. I have an E color diamond clarity VVS2. My diamond appears white/icy. My question is why do some diamonds look more silver/greyish. Is that the color or clarity??????????? I have been boggled because if it was the color would they tend to look more yellowy/brown? Am I way off? I have been wondering for a while and if someone could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have a plainum, invisible set band, F VVS prins and bags that photograph silver/grayish and sometimes appear that way in very bright, direct sunlight. I always thought it was because the diamonds are "colorless" and take on the color of the platinum.

Just a thought.
4.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the other people have dirty diamonds? You are newly married and probably keep your ring clean. I remember one jeweler posted a story about a woman who came in with a ring problem that turned out to be chocolate chip cookie dough.

Sorry to be so prosaic. Perhaps there *is* a more sophisticated reason for grey color. I am just entrenched in marriage and motherhood and to me the dinner the wearers were preparing or the grime from cleaning seems ever so likely!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
LOLOL AGBF!!!
tongue.gif
That is a definite possiblity too!
2.gif

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
Just an idea: perhaps you have a stone with a very high white light return, combined with a lower scintillation. (contrast between light and darks) Maybe that would produce a noticeably different visual effect compared to other stones.

I've noticed mine looking really white in some lighting, and looking steely like you mentioned in other types of lighting. I keep mine pretty clean though. When it's more silvery looking, it also is returning lot of color. So maybe a cut that emphasizes white light return diminishes the silvery/rainbow effect.

Any other theories?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be a bit tongue in cheek but dare I say the colour of carbon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results