shape
carat
color
clarity

Just curious.....how much is this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Back in H.S. I dated this girl for on & off for 2 years and just when I thought she was the one she broke up with me she devestated me. She not only cheated on me several times (in a major way) but she broke my heart. She down right ticked me off so much so I made the choice when I find the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with I want to buy her a rock! So I decided to save nearly all the change I have ever collected for the woman I hadn''t met yet.

12 years later.....

Ok....so my new amazing GF and I have been dating for 16 months now and have talked about the possibility of our future. SO below is my change collection over a 12 year period. The large jug weighs 65 LBS and the smaller one is 30 LBS! We have already started to count the change and we have so far pulled $110.00. On top of this change I have done over 1200 in eBay to put towards a ring.

So how much change do you think is in these containers?

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
DOH!!!! Here is a better pic ( I hope!)

Coin collection 54321.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully a lot? That is very very sweet of you. Best of luck with the impending proposal!

Take it to the bank.

or the Pig, they have little machines...but you might have to get it in food coupys....

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just take it to the bank. Don''t use coinstar or similar, they take a fee.

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Coach, just wanted to comment that I think that is the sweetest thing I have heard! Despite the fact that you had your heart broken so many years ago, you were still able to find someone just for you and do something so extremely special for her! I just wanted to say that I think that''s absolutely adorable!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is wonderful, pity all men are not like you.

Get it to the bank ASAP you are losing interest on that money. Make more money from it.

incmisirlou

Rough_Rock
my bf and hopefully FF started has a big poland spring bottle like the one you have for a ring. its about half full and we counted maybe 1/4 of it and it was over $300! you probably have 10x as much. my guess is $2000. good luck!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
That is incredible. Congrats on finding a great GF and healing that broken heart. I''m bad at guessing, but I know it is probably a lot of
22.gif
22.gif
22.gif
!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww...that''s adorable! It looks like a lot to me, but I''m bad with stuff like that! Are you going to find out soon and tell us how much it is?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Awww, that is so sweet of you! It looks like a lot! I can''t help but think how much interest you are losing by not having that money in an account with a high interest rate. Please take it to the bank and deposit it now so you can have even more money to spend on your engagement ring!
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome idea, and good for you for saving your money all this time! I''ve known way too many guys in college or even after who just wanted to seal the deal without saving a penny towards it first, and ended up in debt. I''d hate to wear a ring if I knew I didn''t even own it outright...

It looks from the pic you posted like a lot of $, maybe a thousand or more? I never was good at "guess how many jellybeans are in the jar" when I was in school, hee hee. I hope you are able to find a beautiful ring that fits your budget!

Lucky Kid

Rough_Rock
$857.57 with the $200

Roy

jennypoo

Rough_Rock
I don''t have the first clue as to how much money is in those jugs, but MAN, that is the SWEETEST thing I''ve ever heard! Wow! Your girlfriend is lucky to have found you. :)

In the rough

Shiny_Rock
No clue...but sweet idea!

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
SO far the running total is around $693 and I still have about 80 lbs. of more coin.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Are you actually going to take it to the bank or spend months counting it???
9.gif
Go get a ring already! Hee hee!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
coach

I enjoy reading your updates. Still counting I take it....?

The official weights of contemporary U.S. coins are as follows: -
Cent - 2.5 grams
Nickel - 5 grams
Dime - 2.27 grams
Quarter - 5.67 grams

1 pound = 453.59237 grams

80pounds=36,287.2grams

If they are all pennies it will be an additional $145.18

If they are all nickels it will be an additional $362.87

If they are all dimes it will be an additional $1598.55

If they are all quarters it will be an additional $1599.96

It is just a guess but I am going to say it will be around 422 dollars in the above additional uncounted change. I am excited to find out!

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Ok...the previous total of coin= $694

We spent all day saturday counting out $740 worth of change and since my GF works at a bank I opened a specific acct where it is collected. We got sick of collecting the pennies so we put them all in the smaller glass contianer which we overfilled it. We''ll let the machine count that. The paper money was a huge factor in this! I know we had prob. $400 in 1''s, 5''s, 10''s, & 20''s.

This makes our running total somewhere around $1434 + all the pennies.

I know she deserves a ROCK so I have sold all my old paintball gear + misc. stuff on eBay to get the fund started that is where the other $1,000 came from.

This puts us at a total of $2434

My goal is $5,000 (1ct) but I''m running out of things to sell.....yikes!

And I''m in the process of trying to get a job, being laid off stinks, & you''d think your 4yr degree would help
.....so there is a level of stress there!!!

(and no I won''t finance this deal either, both of us cut up our credit cards...so.....cash only)

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
What diamond shape does she want?

Just a thought, if you''re interested...
WF has a beautiful J SI2 X-Factor diamond for $2625, (before the pricescope/wire discount)
Don''t let the clarity/color scare you. WF gave it 4 out of 5 stars, and it is part of their expert selection.

http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-28.htm

and here are some other pics of x-factors

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-a-setting-that-befits-my-x-factor.64109/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-ring-pictures-of-x-factor-in-champaigne-setting-from-whiteflash.64062/

I was considering this diamond, but I didn''t want to give up on my dream of owning a cushion.

I just figured that I''d throw that out there in case she wanted a princess, and you wanted to save money.
9.gif

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
She wants a princess cut.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi coach! I love your story, your GF will be thrilled whatever you end up with, the sentiment behind it is too sweet! I would be careful with lower colors in a Princess cut, as the corners can show more color (so I''ve read) but that may not be a problem with the Xfactor, as the corners are clipped. Can you see if she would like that cut? Also, if you havent already, start a thread in RockyTalky so that others can help you with your quest! Good luck!!!

Yea, def ask her about the X factor. Also, as I am sure you know, if you can get just a little bit more money you will be where you need to be for an D-H SI1 clarity! in a very simple WF setting, you should be able to make it.

That being said if you are laid off work right now I would say that the two of you could possibly make a plan on what your goals are for the actual engagement ring. Then you could purchase a somewhat cheaper one now, but when you buy it mentally prepare yourself to consider a future upgraded diamond as part of the original Ering--because the upgrade was planned from the beginning. that way you don't have so much stress as the time of proposal while out of a job. Then when you get a job, you can finish the E ring off with a nice surprise upgrade and get over 1.3+ cts :)

Or just find a couple other things to sell ;-) but join Rocky Talky, then you will be flooded with options and info to sort out!

Also, my apologies for grossly underestimating the amount of silver change you had! I am ashamed, I should have thought out my ratio's more logically instead of just picking them randomly
2.gif

Lucky Kid

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 12:36:56 PM
Author: coach_x+
so I have sold all my old paintball gear + misc. stuff on eBay to get the fund started that is where the other $1,000 came from.

HAHAHA I pretty much sold everything I owned but didn''t use to buy my fiancee''s ring too:
Busted Scooter
injector set x3
EGR Valve
Camshaft
Crush Plates
Auto Trans
E-Brake Cables
Speedo Cable x3
Striker Plates
Package Tray
Trailer Axle
Subframe Brace
Ashtray
Power Window Switch
Hard Top Mounts x 2
Exhaust
Combo Switch
Wheel center Cap
Cruise Control Switch
Passenger Door
8" Subwoofers
PCV Tube
Door Glass
Fuel Pump x 2
Drill
Gameboy Pocket
Door Skin
Wire Harness
Splash guard
Trunk Carpet
Scissors Jack
Fuel Rail
Air Box
AGX Shock
1990 Mazda Miata
Spec Miata Rims with Toyo RA1''s
Camber Gauge
Toe Plates
1.8L Differential
90 Miata Owners Manual
Injector Harness
Passenger Side Window
Miata Radio Bezel
+60 Hours of overtime

I used to run a parts company and that was a bunch of the stuff I had left over...

I like to think of asset collection as a form of savings
9.gif

Roy

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
Yeah I know what you mean. My GF challenged me I couldn''t make $1,000 on eBay in a month and I did it!
But I''ve sold Paintball gear, license plates, nearly all of my books, beer signs, and my Mom is a huge garage saler so she would go to garage sales and come back with "stuff" and she would donate it to the ring fund.

But when my GF said I should sell my computer I personally build....."umm....only if we can sell all your over priced bags" haha that was fun. But she has cleaned out her closet to help out.

My nephew who is 19 got stood up at his senior prom last year hasn''t had a GF since and I shared with him about collecting coin. His reply was, "Man......thats amazing" So my nephew is collecting coin, however I told him he needed to accelerate his fund w/ a few $100''s and $10 bills every week.

My coin collection made my dating process much more pickey. Sometimes I would dump the girl in my head before I even asked her out "She''s not coin worthy" :)

well.....gotta go eBay

beachbound

Rough_Rock
Wow, that is a lot of money! Your GF should be really excited and proud! I love following up on this story. I can''t wait to hear the proposal story!
9.gif

coach_x+

Rough_Rock
I haven''t really thought about what to do for a proposal.

However I there is one idea I liked was when he had someone with a camera just snapping pictures "kodak moment"

I''m clueless really, I do know this: no restraunts, no hot air balloons, no sporting events,

I thought it would be cool if I did a video proposal, I have a ton of pics of us and I''ve done some awesome videos so that would be kinda cool. If not proposal then doing a video for the wedding as a "surprise."

But I also like the idea I got from a friend of a friend, this guy carried the ring around everywhere they went and the next time she mentioned marriage he got down on one knee and proposed. Talk about a shock factor.

beachbound

Rough_Rock
I definitely think that the picture taking during the proposal is a romantic and sweet idea! You will always be able to remember and treasure that day. And you can even show it to others later! As for the proposal itself, at least you know what she doesn''t want, so that should make things a lot easier!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results