shape
carat
color
clarity

Just close MS and TX borders

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their govs are rolling back mask mandates and allow retail business to open without restrictions.

Many will be infected, and Covid is trilled. :clap::dance:

I say, lock up "those people" so they only contaminate each other, not us.
Darwin, and all.
:nono:

Close their airports to outgoing flights.
Road blocks preventing leaving those two states.
Freedom for Murikans, and all!!!! :roll:

Let them there Einsteins kill each other, but not us. :doh:

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our governor may be stupid but don't mess with Texas.

images-1.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why? It's been long enough. I think folks sitting in a place of extreme privilege are tending to look down upon the actual working-class masses with disdain and condemn their every move. These states are being reopened because people are legit losing their asses, even with (bullshit) stimulus checks and unemployment benefits. Ask me how I know.

The judginess and the smug superiority from one side are the exact reason things turned out the way they did in 2016. Imagine for one minute (not that you will, but I'll type it out anyway) that you live in a tiny town in the midwest, you've never seen an ocean, you've never even been on a flight, never exposed to any other culture. Now take into account that there are millions of people like this. Add in some coastal inhabitants just in absolute disbelief that not everyone thinks as they do.

Last edited:

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Covid infection and deaths are way down here in west Tx, but I am afraid if we relax the restrictions too much we are in for another round of infections...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Glass houses, Kenny. I live in L.A. and I see tons of people out and about with masks down on their chins or nursing a coffee with masks hanging off their ears for prolonged periods of time. We're no better. Freeways are packed and stores that are open are full. Restrictions and mandates don't mean anything without citizens who comply and actual enforcement of those who don't.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, you can talk about public health but please keep politics out of it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why? It's been long enough. I think folks sitting in a place of extreme privilege are tending to look down upon the actual working-class masses with disdain and condemn their every move. These states are being reopened because people are legit losing their asses, even with (bullshit) stimulus checks and unemployment benefits. Ask me how I know.

The judginess and the smug superiority from one side are the exact reason things turned out the way they did in 2016. Imagine for one minute (not that you will, but I'll type it out anyway) that you live in a tiny town in the midwest, you've never seen an ocean, you've never even been on a flight, never exposed to any other culture. Now take into account that there are millions of people like this. Add in some coastal inhabitants just in absolute disbelief that not everyone thinks as they do.

I do always try to think of these kind Americans because i know in my heart of hearts they are what i would be if i was American

There are good and bad of every type of person everywhere

Stay safe where ever you live

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Their govs are rolling back mask mandates and allow retail business to open without restrictions.

Darwin, and all.

I admit i want to make a Panama canal thing and give Auckland to Australia
Northland (the nice part above Auckland) can be like our Alaska)

So I do understand your frustration Kenny

Its a bad time everywhere and its really hard to suffer fools right now
Good people are hurting

Q

Queenie60

Darwin, and all.

Infected migrants are crossing the boarder, into Texas and being disbursed throughout the US. This is much more of a health issue than a state rolling back to "normal" - I'm not sure that lockdowns and mask mandates work any better than freedom and allowing Americans to use common sense as we have been programmed to do over the past year. Just my opinion - many are hungry for the simple freedoms of life.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can fly in passenger planes packed like sardines, but no schooling for our kids, no attending church, no weddings, no dinning inside a restaurants . Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...:wall:

I don’t understand why remove the mask mandate though. Taking the example of India (because I feel like that’s the only place that I have knowledge of that’s comparable with the US though it’s far more populated, and densely populated at that), a country with a population of 1.3bn has like 17k cases daily.

There’s no real lockdown there anymore, but wearing masks and rigorously sanitising is highly enforced. You can get fined for being on the road without a mask on. Restaurants are strictly compliant in terms of spacing out tables and doing temp checks as you walk in. Schools I believe are still distance learning, and businesses are WFH as much as possible (and if you come into the office you must wear a mask, get a temp check, sit spaced out etc). Free or highly reduced cost testing is available to everyone, with results within 24h, and people who test positive are reasonably compliant about staying home. Delhi, a city of 30mn people has about 200-300 cases daily (and that’s after a spike). Mumbai is the worst affected city in India, 20mn people and around 1000-1100 cases daily (after the spike).

That’s not bad considering the population density of both cities (28,600 per sq mile // 46,027 per sqkm for Delhi and 76,790 per sq mile // 123,581 per sqkm for Mumbai). They’re both like top 10 or top 15 most densely populated cities in the world (Mumbai is like no. 1 lol). I’m not saying India has handled the pandemic exceptionally well, but I think the data proves that enforcing masks goes a looooong way in reducing spread.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The virus doesn't care about sides, politics, wealth, ocean view vs. landlocked, judginess, smugness, superiority, priviledge, looking down on a class, disdain, condemnation, economies, unemployment benefits, town size, flights, cultural exposure, or imagination.
The virus just tries to survive, like all living things.

Problem is, to survive, it kills us.
This is like a war.

What's the solution?
How do humans win the war?
We fight.
Not with guns but with masks, social distancing and vaccines.
That's what reduces the virus' ability to spread, so fewer will die.

The only way we will ever return to some semblance of normal is to reach herd immunity.
What TX and MS is doing is anti-public health.
They think they are doing what people want, but they're doing what the virus wants.

Am I being judgie?
Damn right I am!
My life is at stake.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let people return to work and re start life as best they can but why lift the mask mandate? Why can't people continue wearing masks? At least until 75-80% of the population is vaccinated? It's been a long haul but if we remove the safeguards that are in place now we risk another wave and another setback.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the American viewpoint of every man for himself, it's all about the individual. There's no concern for the population as a whole, which is what you see in many Asian countries.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I am a Canadian living in Tx. I have a hard time with the Tx attitudes at times...In Canada we tend to take things more reasonably without shouting about our 'rights' all the time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the American viewpoint of every man for himself, it's all about the individual. There's no concern for the population as a whole, which is what you see in many Asian countries.

Hold on.
Americans vary.

But I do concede that this selfish ME ME ME ONLY mentality is more common in America than it is in many other countries.
I'll add, it's more common in certain groups of Americans than in other groups of Americans, but I better leave it right there since this is PS.

Last edited:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect that the mask mandate was lifted to take the attention off of ongoing problems with water and power.

My heart goes out to the people of Texas, and to everyone else who has been failed by our local administrations.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DS and DIL are in Texas and they have no intention of not wearing their masks when they need to go out. They also don’t think that any of their friends will stop wearing masks just because it’s no longer mandated. They’re all well aware that the pandemic is still very much alive and kicking, so will continue with all the measures they’re taking now in order to stay safe and well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DS and DIL are in Texas and they have no intention of not wearing their masks when they need to go out. They also don’t think that any of their friends will stop wearing masks just because it’s no longer mandated. They’re all well aware that the pandemic is still very much alive and kicking, so will continue with all the measures they’re taking now in order to stay safe and well.

Yes, there are plenty of smart individuals in Texas and hopefully a great majority of people will continue wearing their masks. It doesn’t surprise me your son and DIL will continue wearing masks and taking other safety measures. If most do hopefully there won’t be another wave.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scary move when the variants of this virus and increasing

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of us Einsteins here in Texas will continue to wear masks, distance, and try to be as safe as possible. We will also continue to support small businesses so that half of us don't starve. For a significant proportion of Texans, it's not about freedom; it's about survival. We don't rely on government to keep us safe; we rely on each other. It's a state of mind. The judgement here is disgusting.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of us Einsteins here in Texas will continue to wear masks, distance, and try to be as safe as possible. We will also continue to support small businesses so that half of us don't starve. For a significant proportion of Texans, it's not about freedom; it's about survival. We don't rely on government to keep us safe; we rely on each other. It's a state of mind. The judgement here is disgusting.

I don't understand the outrage. A mask mandate has nothing to do with supporting small businesses? And how is not about "freedom"?

On the plus side, I'm glad businesses are still able to enforce mask wearing/capacity guidelines if they choose.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gussie, I don’t think Texans are being judged. It’s the Texas politicians we are judging. I love Texans and am privileged to call a few my friends.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KI don't understand the outrage. A mask mandate has nothing to do with supporting small businesses? And how is not about "freedom"?

On the plus side, I'm glad businesses are still able to enforce mask wearing/capacity guidelines if they choose.

The outrage isn't due to the mask mandate. I agree that should have stayed. I am totally in favor of opening businesses completely though. It isn't fair to keep small businesses partially closed. They are struggling to keep the doors open. Plenty of businesses will still have a mask requirement.

I am not in disagreement with a lot of the posts here. The original post, however, was inflammatory. It is quite easy to sit in an ivory tower and direct others who are barely making it to keep their doors closed.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I also (unfortunately) live in TX (and in TN some of the year - our governor is awful there too) and I am furious at the change. The only reason they are doing this rn is to take attention away from the power disaster and also trying to create spring break revenue. I expect a massive surge after spring break. They JUST NOW are allowing K-12 and daycare workers to get the vaccine. TEXAS SUCKS. SORRY NOT SORRY. But lock "those ppl up" - unnecessarily incendiary. Many of us are unhappy with the decision and are doing our best to stay safe.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gussie, I don’t think Texans are being judged. It’s the Texas politicians we are judging. I love Texans and am privileged to call a few my friends.

Thanks Missy! I have to agree that probably 99% of all politicians are slimeballs. Governor Abbot made his decision based on the gear up to election year 2022. Allowing businesses to open though was needed here. Lifting the mask mandate - purely political.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Canadian living in Tx. I have a hard time with the Tx attitudes at times...In Canada we tend to take things more reasonably without shouting about our 'rights' all the time.

"our rights" seems to be an excuse for "i do what i want" :/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scary move when the variants of this virus and increasing

This ain't gonna end soon. Your next so call Covid 19 booster shot will be in the fall.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results