shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought this Princess. Honest opinions plese!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kodiak

Rough_Rock
diamond is from bllue nile. here

how did i do?

please be brutally honest.

-D

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 1:50:12 PM
Author:kodiak
diamond is from bllue nile. here

how did i do?

please be brutally honest.

-D
Welcome!

To be honest it is so hard to tell as without images it is really a case of ' buying blind with these shapes...You can't tell much by numbers. My concern is the girdle so you might want to get that checked out as ' extremely thin' could be a possible durability issue, so I would ask them to get an expert to check the diamond out carefully.

If you have just bought the diamond and are within the return policy - and if you are in the US, I would take the diamond to an independant appraiser and get them to check out the girdle if you decide you like it when it arrives, I take it you haven't received the diamond yet?

Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Did you check out any of the vendors who have in house diamonds, or did you prefer to buy from BN?

kodiak

Rough_Rock
i didnt realy look in alot of places. bluenile seemed like a good website. what are your concerns with the girdle?

-D

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Extremely thin girdle might chip easily. Is it set yet? Best to send to an independent appraiser.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 2:02:09 PM
Author: kodiak
i didnt realy look in alot of places. bluenile seemed like a good website. what are your concerns with the girdle?

-D
blue nile is a reputable site. However, they are unable to provide the level of detail about stones that we like here. For example, photos, Ideal Scope, and Asset photos are all extremely helpful is determining whether a stone has a great cut. The cut is what makes the stone sparkle and grab attention from across the room!

kodiak

Rough_Rock
i ordered a setting from blue nile to, so i guess that they will be setting it. Is chipping that common because of the thin girdle?

i picked a stone that said it had a very good cut.

another question, how much do you think is a good price for this stone?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 2:31:34 PM
i ordered a setting from blue nile to, so i guess that they will be setting it. Is chipping that common because of the thin girdle?

GIA do not grade cut of a princess stone, so the cut grade is by vendor and we have no idea what that is based on, some might be good, some bad.

The girdle is extremely thin, which is very bad for durability. Might be just a thin spot, but the only way to say is by an independent appraiser.

Price is good for the size, color and clarity. But no way to say about the cut unless we have access to an ASET. If buying blind, I suggest you go for an AGS0 cut graded stone.

This is a good choice but more expensive.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 2:18:23 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 4/4/2009 2:02:09 PM

-D
blue nile is a reputable site. However, they are unable to provide the level of detail about stones that we like here. For example, photos, Ideal Scope, and Asset photos are all extremely helpful is determining whether a stone has a great cut. The cut is what makes the stone sparkle and grab attention from across the room!
Ditto Icekid.

The girdle is worrying as especially in a Princess, depending on how much of the girdle is affected by the very thin part this could make it prone to chipping, hence my advice to get an independant appraiser to inspect it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 2:31:34 PM

Also don't go by vendor applied labels to describe cut quality such as Very Good, Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc as these are no guarantee of a certain level of cut or beauty, also AGS are the only lab to grade Princess for cut at this time. Princess are said to chip more easily sometimes than rounds, the only way to tell with your diamond with the girdle is to have an expert examine it. I am not suggesting there will definitely be any type of durability issue with it, but that it is prudent to check.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Extremely thin to thick is quite a large range for the girdle. If it were me I''d drop in the clarity and improve on the cut. But like others have said without an ASET or photo you can''t tell what this stone looks like and how good the cut is. Many people who buy from BN get their loose stones appraised.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results