shape
carat
color
clarity

Junior League attire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
Tomorrow afternoon I am attending a "membership information session" for my local Junior League. It begins at 3:00 with hors d''oeuvres and refreshments. Dress is described as "casual." Does anyone know what casual would mean at a Junior League event? Somehow, I don''t think this really means casual...

Thanks in advance for any tips!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
It usually means Business Casual, I would dress nice. Not black tie but a nice pair of black pants and a nice top. Nothing fancy but something that still means professional and means business.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's means business casual as well. Nice pants and a nice top should do it.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would actually go a little above that. I''d wear a knee-length skirt (with panty-hose) and a nice top, sweater, or button down. Understated jewelry and a simple hairstyle. Oh, and appropriate shoes (not stilettos, boots, strappy sandals).

In my experience Jr. Leaguers are more traditional than they want people to think and while they''re business-woman driven, traditional, conservative, "lady like" attire is expected.

A nice pantsuit would be fine too but I personally would wear a skirt. Above all, no jeans or khakis!!!

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''ll welome any additional tips.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
It also depends what part of the country you are in. Out here in CA I have been to Jr. League lunches and the dress was slightly less formal than described above.

However you would not go wrong with a conservative skirt. Definitely no jeans and definitely do wear some simple, elegant shoes. Probably best to keep the accessories, like your purse, in the conservative range too - not a big designer logo plastered all over it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think depending on the weather too that a pretty Lilly Pulitzer dress, one that is less wild looking, with a little cardigan and a flat sandal could be cute. I agree they are apt to be more conservative but you can look fresh and cute based on the weather. Simple jewelry and a subtle bag, and not too much make up either.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black pants and a nice blouse?

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
Based on all the different advice, I think I''m going to go with a mid-calf length floral dress, cardigan sweater, and coordinating close-toed dressy mules. For jewelry, just my diamond studs, e-ring, and dress watch.

I''ll be sure to report back on the other attendee''s interpretation of Junior League casual.

Thanks again for the advice. Before hearing from everyone, I think I was going to be a little too casual with a linen skirt.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that sounds perfect and youthful and appropriate...

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
what is a Junior League?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2007 2:59:43 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
what is a Junior League?
While it has some social aspect, it is primarily a service organization. It is mostly for younger women. I think you age out at around 35? Many volunteer placements are born from the Jr. League. I aged out at 30 & my next volunteer organization (which was orgininally founded by the Jr. League) placement has lasted over 17 years!

Orgininally a proper placement for a young etiquetted lady, it has morphed into a very professional service organization - at least in our area.

Good luck - your attire sounds perfect. Funny, we had a dress code that did not include pants as late as the early 90's. Now, a nice pair of slacks and cute top is perfectly acceptable.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
As it turns out, casual for Junior League (at least in Wilmington, DE) can mean casual. One attendee had on denim shorts and high-heeled flip flops. On the other end of the spectrum, the pregnant host had on slacks, a sweater, and sling backs. No pantyhose in sight. The group was actually very down-to-earth and had a wide range of ages of prospective members. I''d say 22 to 40. The upper age limit isn''t really enforced any more, but at age 35 members can become "sustaining" members and pay lower dues.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results