shape
carat
color
clarity

John McCain

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably should have let someone else start this thread because I disagree too much with Senator McCain to praise him unconditionally, but I loved this piece in "The New York Times" which lauded him. I have to say upfront that I hate it that he voted for the Republican sponsored tax bill, which cut the taxes of the excessively wealthy and the corporations. I have always said he was a man of honor, though, no matter how irascible or conservative he is. And he has been steadfast in his opposition to torture, knowing that if our country sponsors it, it puts our servicemen and women in jeopardy and is dishonorable. Dancing Fire should take note that when Republicans are heroes, all of us, "liberals" included, take notice. (Rod Rosenstein and Bob Mueller are Republicans, too, by the way.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/opinion/sunday/john-mccain-trump.html

AGBF

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished the article before coming here this morning. He is a remarkable man and a reminder that good ethical people do exist despite the current climate in Washington.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care if you lean right or left. I just don't like extremist on either side. TBH, had HRC won the election I don't think she would lean too far left. I would be ok with that.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is very sad that senator McCain is having to suffer.
I hope that his doctors are ensuring he is comfortable. Even when I disagreed with his choices I always knew he loved this country and was trying to do what he thought was best. My heart goes out to him and his family.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is indeed sad - politics aside, I think he is a good man with a great conscience for America. Anyone that was a POW as he was has already suffered tremendously. I too hope his comfort is the foremost concern.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very sad that senator McCain is having to suffer.
I hope that his doctors are ensuring he is comfortable. Even when I disagreed with his choices I always knew he loved this country and was trying to do what he thought was best. My heart goes out to him and his family.
Well said, @Tekate! I respect him, and as you said, he loves our country.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I do not always agree with him, his love for this country is undeniable. My heart goes out to the McCain family.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Suddenly there were new posts to this thread. It made me worry that Senator McCain had passed away! I went and looked at "The New York Times" website to see if that was what had caused the new postings. I am glad that it had not, although, of course, I hope Senator McCain is not suffering.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Republican Steve Schmidt weighs in:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Malcolm Nance.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like John mccain until he picked Sarah Palin as running mate. Dumbest move ever.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I wonder if the criticism really goes too far. Its a meeting on political strategy, and while the aide was probably unwise to voice her comment, nevertheless it was true. Now, if the comment had stayed within the meeting confines, the hurtful comment would not have been heard.(It was certainly not meant to be) The leaker is who should be fired.

I would swear that I heard at one point in time(yrs ago) from John Mc Cains own lips that he was in fact broken by his torture. When he was offered release he refused until all of them could be released.
Of course he is a hero, and a patriot. Nothing can take that way from him. An unwise comment doesn't change anything.

Annette

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care who he chose as a running mate (anymore) or if it is true that he is dying as an excuse to say that that means his opinion does not count anymore. This man does not deserve the treatment he has gotten from The White House. The White House represents us, the people of the country, and I, for one, will not accept the disrespect dished out to Senator McCain as being in my name.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,
I want to thank you, Deb, for the video on the Rachael Maddow show where she explained how Rod Rosenstein stated his views on possible roadblocks the WH was sending. I actually had seen it and was thanking you for mentioning this topic on another thread.
I am weary of the news at the moment. I did not watch any this weekend and am only going to watch two shows that are my favorite. I like Lawrence O'Donnell and Ari Melcor. I cannot stay enraged over everything. Last week that's how it seemed to me. Outrage at everything.

Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The White House should have come out immediately and apologized to John McCain and his family for the comments made last week. This President lacks compassion and empathy.

@AGBF, I wish I could agree with you that the White House represents the people. Trump has no interest in being the President to all Americans. We are witnessing common decency being eroded, lies becoming acceptable and the norm.

It was just announced Melania Trump had kidney surgery this morning for a benign kidney condition. She will remain in the hospital for a few days.
I hope she recovers quickly and is well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results