shape
carat
color
clarity

Job Search Experts - Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I hesitated at first to make this post, and then thought, why not? You as a group are always willing to help people in their search for the perfect diamond and I''ve seen some incredible support in the way of life events as well. So here goes......

My husband has been working in a politically charged environment for months now and yesterday he lost the battle and is now without a job. We saw this coming and he has been preparing and circulating his resume. It''s just the shock of when it actually happens that you forget that you were preparing for this!

We are very fortunate in that he is 43 yrs old and has never been in this position before. He is part of the IT industry and for the last 5 years has held an executive level position. We realize the search for a similar position will take awhile, but are looking for any helpful hints you guys might have. We are not opposed to moving, as I have a job that is portable and can be done from any location.

I saw where Mara had mentioned www.resumeedge.com for assistance in cleaning up your resume. Do any of you have any headhunters that you can recommend that place people in this industry?

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated more than you know.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your husband''s situation...

I''ve also been looking for a job lately and I''ve been using many of the online job searches such as Monster, JobSearch and Career Builder.

They get new updates almost daily...and while my job search hasn''t been as successful as I would like, there are TONS of jobs listed..just not what I''m looking for!!

Hope this helps...good luck!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greg recently signed up for TheLadders.Com which specializes in jobs over $100k...he said he has found it fairly helpful, but alot of what he has seen posted there he has also seen elsewhere. He got the 3 month subscription, but plans to let it lapse when it's up. I think they also do resume assistance and all that too.

I don't know about your local 'lists' but here in the BayArea we have a Yahoo group list where local (and sometimes not local) jobs in marketing and sales are posted, see if your area has any Yahoo groups like that maybe? This list is huge, it has thousands of people on it, and about 75-100 jobs posted a day almost from big and small companies, and I know alot of people who have gotten their jobs from there...or at least heard of the job on there first. So a local list like that for your area may be invaluable. Maybe search Yahoo and see what you can find.

Also as the others mentioned, Monster is great, I don't know if BrassRing is still around, but also check out Dice.Com. It's a great IT and techy job site that I used to look at alot, it would have more obscure marketing jobs, but it's primarily a techy job site with tons of engineer and systems type gigs.

Lastly, I don't know how consulting is in your area but around here you can get some steady work making good $$ in consulting, one company that we use around here is Crimson Consulting but I don't know if they are local only...again if you think consulting may be interesting, see if there are any local IT specialty consulting companies who may be able to help out in the interim with a few month contract or something while your hubby is looking.

Good luck!! It's negative that he lost his job, but now he has the opportunity to make the next job everything this last one was not! I love the prospects of looking for a new gig, you have so many hopes and dreams. Oh and of course the fun part, the mandatory salary increase!
2.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Oh...I forgot to add www.craigslist.org

They work to your local area...

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Mara & AChiO,

THANK YOU for the help.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I just sent your suggestions along to hubby to assist him as he embarks on this new road!
I really appreciate you taking time to help
35.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Libster, I''m so sorry about his job.
I hope everything works out for you.

I''m sure you''re a great source of support for him.
21.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear this - but sometimes when a door closes a new an more exciting one opens.

I don''t know of which headhunter specializes in IT; but, I''m sure there are plenty out there. Word of mouth from other IT people will probably your best bet.

I agree with Mara on the consulting aspect.

Good luck in a challenging time!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another online site for networking is

www.linkedin.com

as f&i said, this is also an opportunity!

peace, movie zombie

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I just went through the big job search and I found it helpful to send info to companies who weren''t even searching for positions. If your husband has great credentials- they will want him regardless. Plus he is still young and sounds like he has a great deal of expertise.

I also joined linkedin.com, which allows you to network. I had good luck with typical websites such as monster and hotjobs as well.

IT skills are always of great demand with any company. I am certain he will find something very soon!

Where are you located and are you willing to relocate?

I know that Austin, Texas has a hige market for IT. My uncle works there and has worked for Dell and Compaq...

Good LUCK!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Just wanted to add ''happy job searching'' during this exciting and challenging time!

cheers--Sharon

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are the BEST!!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and support. Hubby has a 3rd interview today with a company he would really like to work for and I''m really hoping for the best.

Again, thanks so much for all the support. What a great community of people we have here at Pricescope
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s great Libster, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for him!!!! Sending good luck vibes his way for his 3rd interview. Don''t forget to let us know how it goes!!! Good luck!!!!
1.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Keep us posted, sounds promising!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Libster,
So how did it go??? I''m hoping that you''re out celebrating!!!!!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Jenwill & Kaleigh,
Thanks for the support!!

He is having a really tough time with the whole situation and I know it's just temporary, but hate to see him going through this
40.gif

The interview could have gone better, according to him, but he is a perfectionist so I'm sure it went well. I just keep telling him that if it isn't in God's plan for this job, then there will be another and we will just embrace the challenge together! The old job is not completely closed and his head is in two places at the moment and he will be much better off once he can close that chapter.

Again, guys thanks for letting me come here and pour my heart out
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Libster,
I am so glad his interview went well. I will keep my fingers crossed that he gets the job. Did they say when he can expect to hear from them??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results