shape
carat
color
clarity

job interview - need advice and dust!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first job interview is coming up in two days. I'm extremely nervous. I've had several jobs before, but I've mostly not had to interview for them, as I already knew the people doing the hiring. Well, I did have one interview, but we talked about Star Trek for two hours, and I am pretty sure that's not how they normally go. This is the sort of job I've been trying to get all year but haven't been able to find an opening for (I have worked retail and another job in my field so far this year), so I'm very excited that they contacted me and hope I get it. And so I'm so nervous I can't even sleep.

Apologies for being so cryptic but even though my screenname is difficult to google, I'd like to still keep this post as unconnected as possible wrt keywords.

I have a couple of questions:

1) This will be a very casual work environment - jeans or shorts and a tshirt or tank top most days. I am planning on wearing full interview attire - is this overkill? The jacket and pantyhose are the main things I'm worried about. I don't want to underdress, but I also don't want to look like I don't know what the job entails. I was also wondering if I really NEED to go with black. Basically, I am worried about being dinged for being TOO conservative.

2) I did the exact sort of work I will be required to do two years ago in an internship for a while before we hired someone dedicated to the task. So I know I can do it. But ... it's been two years. And there's not any realistic way to brush up except by doing it, which I can't do unless I have a job doing it. I'll have reviewed what I can before my interview, but is there any way to broach the subject of needing to brush up on some things without seeming clueless? Do I even need to? Since the stuff they're hiring me to do isn't stuff I could do at home, they SHOULD know I will need to be walked through it a few times.

3) Their website is down. It will not be back up until after my interview. It was down before they contacted me. This leaves me with very few ways to find out the kinds of specific details that you're always supposed to know before a job interview. WHAT DO I DO??? I know some general stuff, but nothing specific.

4) Any other interview advice? This is a people-oriented job that also has some incredibly fussy computer work, but I am thinking the people-orientedness is what they are interviewing for. I guess I should make sure I am completely up to date on possible conversation topics related to this field?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming from an interviewER: lose the pantyhose and most of the suit. Let your hair down. Be yourself. Yes, you might be dinged for erring on the side of conservative.

I just interviewed a person for a position last night and was looking for someone LESS polished. A key attribute I was looking for was someone who wasn't giving me formulated responses and could respond to my questions with CANDID answers. I was looking for someone relatable, authentic, who would be able to interact with the rest of the staff and our customers that same way. Hope this helps. Best of luck, Distracts!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Oh ditto being candid. The last two jobs I've been given told me it was because I was so honest and candid in interviews. For example when they ask for your weaknesses, they don't want the canned responses. I told them honestly that I was smart, a really hard worker, but that my organizational skills could use improvement (post-it's ARE a filing system). They kind of chuckled at that. Also they asked me if I had ever gossiped in the work place. Come on! It would clearly be a lie if I said "No, never!". I simply said that I try to keep it to a minimum, but that if someone tells me something in confidence, I'm good about keeping their secret so long as it's nothing illegal.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, my general guidelines:

1) Dress - I go for what I would wear for work + 1 level. So if the office is casual, I'd go business casual. If it's business casual, I'd go for business. You want to look like you're serious about the job, but aware of your surroundings and the atmosphere you'll be working in.

2) Candor - Crucial! Be honest and reflective, and don't jump the gun. Let them finish their question completely, and think about what they asked. Specific examples help.

3) Research - Wikipedia. Google. BBB. Reviews of their services (where applicable). Their website isn't the only place you can learn about them!

4) Confidence - This is key. If you're not confident, practice faking it until even your mother couldn't figure it out. It's okay to be nervous, that's expected, but you need to be confident in your own abilities. And if you can't do that the whole way through, fake it HARD at the start. Big smile, firm handshake, eye contact. The first 10 seconds are when they'll form a lot of judgements about you, so do your best to make sure they're positive. Also, if you have specific nervous habits, do what you can to curb them. Play with your hair when you're nervous? Pull it back. Bangs get in your eyes? Pin them back. Twiddle your thumbs when you're nervous? Keep them in your lap. (Don't be afraid to talk with your hands if that's what you're like normally, just be careful of the repetitive nervous gestures.)

5) Ask them questions, too. Ask about the working environment, the group dynamics, potential for growth - as important as it is to have a job, you also want to make sure you know what you're getting into. Right now might not be the right time to go without a job because you don't like the sound of the environment, but it will at least help manage your expectations.

In the end, I think of interviewing as I think about putting on make up. You want to be yourself, but your best version of yourself - minimize flaws, highlight your best points, but don't try to be something you're not.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
First of all, deep breaths! It is fine if you don't have an answer at the exact moment that the interviewer asks it, it is FINE to pause and mull over a question a bit, or say, "Hmm, that's an interesting scenario..." and then lead into your answer. Better to pause and appear thoughtful than rush in with a pat answer. Have you ever checked out Allison Green's Ask A Manager blog? She has a bunch of info. on interviewing which is very helpful. One of the best tips is, I think, to have questions for your interviewer. You are also interviewing them, in a way, to find out if you really want the job. Asking questions also makes you appear thoughtful. Now, for your specifics:

1) Wear something nice, but if a suit will be out of place, don't wear it. Can you wear nice slacks, a cute top, and a different color jacket or cardigan? Or, wear something mostly conservative but add a punch of color with a scarf or piece of jewelry? My industry is not known for being suit-wearers, so I would wear what I would guess the interviewers would be wearing for their work day, and was almost always right on in terms of not feeling over or under dressed.

2) Don't mention that you need to 'brush up,' they will understand that you will need to be trained and there will be a learning curve for any job, even if you've done something very similar. Just mention when you last did work of this type, like, "Well, a couple years ago when I was doing this type of task..." and they will know it's not the most recent work experience you've had.

3) Try to find out anything you can about the company, maybe try to view their site via the 'Wayback Machine' (which archives websites) at http://archive.org/index.php (center of the screen, put in their web address and see what pops up). You can also see if anyone who works there has a LinkedIn page that you can view, or look them up in a local business directory at the library or something. Better yet, if you have a question about their business, ask it during the interview! It's okay to ask for more background info. to answer a question, too. Like, "I'm not sure what your policy is on that type of procedure, could you tell me a bit more about it?"

4) Emphasize your computer knowledge/familiarity, but also talk about your customer service skills when the questions make sense to do so. I think they will likely ask for specifics for the technology aspects of the job, which will be easier to answer without much thought if you are familiar with them. I'd try to be prepared for the more "your customer is upset, what do you do?" kinds of scenario questions.

Lastly, be specific and give examples of your experience when possible. Just saying, "I'm great at this" doesn't paint a picture as much as saying, "I once helped a customer with ... and then got a thank-you note in the mail a few days later."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. I work in a casual workplace. I interviewed in a very nice black skirt suit, BUT I didn't wear panty hose, and under my suit I wore one of these very simple T-shirts in a bright color (turquoise): http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/62180/68864/lightweight-pima-tee.aspx?colorid=684&refLink=misses-knit-tops-and-tees.aspx... The right balance between professional (suit) and casual (T-shirt and no panty hose).

2. Just say that you know in any job there are particular details that are done a certain way, you are sure your background will provide you with the foundation you need to get up to speed quickly and that you are a quick learner.

3. Do google searches ABOUT them. Just because their site is down doesn't mean you can't find out a lot of information about them.

4. Pick your favorite "pumped up" song and play it on repeat in the car on your way there. Mine is Eminem's "Lose Yourself". As for current events, if they bring something up about something you don't know about just say, "I've seen that mentioned but haven't had time to dig into it/look into it more than that-- can you tell me about it, I'd love to get your perspective." That's all. Just be polite and show interest and openness.

Finally, pick your 'weakness' in advance. Think about it, make sure it's not too bad, and make sure you know how to explain steps to deal with it. Like for me, "I find copy editing on a computer screen difficult, so I do have to copy edit in hard copy and that can take a little extra time, but I feel it's worth it for result."

Something like that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. It doesn't sound like you're going for a Corporate-with-a-Capital-C job so toned-down suit (similar to what Gypsy wore) or well-coordinated outfit (with a jacket equivalent) should do just fine. Personally I would wear a jacket or jacket equivalent just because it adds polish and shows that you're taking the interview process seriously. That said, I've only consciously "dinged" a candidate for a job based on attire once, and it was someone who came in very casually (including lime-green wedgy flip-flops????) when her resume told me that she had to know how to dress appropriately for an interview. I'm not saying dress isn't important, but for me it's rarely a deciding factor.

2. Listen to the question. Answer the question concisely. Once you've answered the question, you can offer examples or otherwise embellish, but again, keep it concise. Aside from showing confidence, it shows that you value the interviewer's time and know how to use time wisely.

3. The most important homework you can do right now is to look over your work history and refresh your recollection of the various projects you've been involved with and how you can use them to illustrate that you meet their job requirements and description. Review your skills, the programs and applications you've used or developed, and the contributions you've made in each of your workplaces (or non-work activities), not just the ones that are most similar to the position you're applying for. And review the job announcement again!

4. You won't be expected to have insider information about the company you're applying to, but you are expected to have done enough homework to be able to talk about why you are interested in working for that particular firm rather than one of their competitors. It's also important to be able to address why you want to work in the unit you're applying to. For example - my unit's work is not directly related to the big hot topic that my agency is most known for these days. If someone comes into an interview focused on how they want to work on big hot topic, I'm going to be concerned that a) they didn't read the announcement, and b) they won't stick around long if I hire them.

Good luck!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't top any of the amazing advice you've already been given, but good luck and a truck load of DUST that you get the job --- fingers crossed!!! :bigsmile:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, everyone. This is a lot of what my fiance was saying, but sometimes I don't trust his job advice because he is clearly very biased toward me. But I knew the smart, successful women on PS would have great advice.

And now I have discovered that I have gained just enough weight in the past year and a half so that my suit skirts no longer fit, so I am off to the mall.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Great advice given so far! I would just add to look at glassdoor.com for interview advice and reviews of the company. If it's a small company and they're not on there you could look for similar companies for interview advice.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1346170243|3258557 said:
Finally, pick your 'weakness' in advance. Think about it, make sure it's not too bad, and make sure you know how to explain steps to deal with it. Like for me, "I find copy editing on a computer screen difficult, so I do have to copy edit in hard copy and that can take a little extra time, but I feel it's worth it for result."

Something like that.

This is great advice but I'll add that my most recent job threw me a curve ball when they hired me! I was so used to the "Name your strength/name your weakness" routine that I had rehearsed an EXCELLENT weakness prior to the interview. Well, during the interview, they said "name your TOP THREE weaknesses!!!" I was NOT expecting that part! I came up with some good enough stuff to get the job obviously, but I wasn't prepared to name three!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1346193551|3258828 said:

Something like that.

This is great advice but I'll add that my most recent job threw me a curve ball when they hired me! I was so used to the "Name your strength/name your weakness" routine that I had rehearsed an EXCELLENT weakness prior to the interview. Well, during the interview, they said "name your TOP THREE weaknesses!!!" I was NOT expecting that part! I came up with some good enough stuff to get the job obviously, but I wasn't prepared to name three!

There is always going to be something that might surprise you. If you have "one" memorized, while you are reciting what you prepared for that, your mind can be racing for the others. Keep in mind you can always ask for a moment to think. To reflect. That shows them you can handle curves thrown at you with grace. It's a GOOD THING to ask for time to think/reflect. It's much better than just nervously blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. It shows maturity.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1346177872|3258650 said:
Thank you so much, everyone. This is a lot of what my fiance was saying, but sometimes I don't trust his job advice because he is clearly very biased toward me. But I knew the smart, successful women on PS would have great advice.

And now I have discovered that I have gained just enough weight in the past year and a half so that my suit skirts no longer fit, so I am off to the mall.
good luck Distracts.. :wavey: if a guy is doing the interview then be sure to wear a low cut dress... :naughty:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1346174503|3258593 said:
I can't top any of the amazing advice you've already been given, but good luck and a truck load of DUST that you get the job --- fingers crossed!!! :bigsmile:

ditto here too, good luck/best wishes and you will do great :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1346195624|3258851 said:
if a guy is doing the interview then be sure to wear a low cut dress... :naughty:

DF -- dedicated_to_ayesha_by_lovexmetal.gif

:wink2:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Ah DF, always the joker. :roll:
I can't really add to the great advice you've already gotten here, but just remember this. A good friend who had been on many more interviews than I told me that she always viewed them as a two-way street. She wasn't obnoxious about it during the interview, but once in a while something happened that would tell her she did not want to work there. And she was right.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2. Just say that you know in any job there are particular details that are done a certain way, you are sure your background will provide you with the foundation you need to get up to speed quickly and that you are a quick learner.

Wow, this is good!

I don't have anything to add to the excellent tips you've received (excluding the one from Dancing Fire of course) but I just wanted to wish you lots of luck and send a boatload of dust your way!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1346205967|3258928 said:
Ah DF, always the joker. :roll:
I can't really add to the great advice you've already gotten here, but just remember this. A good friend who had been on many more interviews than I told me that she always viewed them as a two-way street. She wasn't obnoxious about it during the interview, but once in a while something happened that would tell her she did not want to work there. And she was right.

Best advice yet.

You are -- repeat after me-- looking for 'the right job' not just 'a job' (unless you are out of work and in trouble financially) and that means more than what's on the job description. That means environment: work-life balance, what is the overtime expectation, what are your co-workers like. NOW, you don't have ask those questions outright. BUT YOU DO ASK QUESTIONS. My favorite one is: Can you tell me about your typical day, what is it like? Then follow up with: how many calls/requests/contracts/(whatever it is you handle), do you process/deal with, what time do most people come in on your team, do you guys go out to lunch as a group-- are you close or does everyone do their own thing? Another good one is: What's the culture like here? or How would you describe the culture here? Those kinds of things tell you about the environment.

When asked what you are looking for in a job, my answer is always: "Obviously I want a good fit for my skills and background, but I'm looking for a good fit in other respects too. Things like ____________________________________________." And I list the things that are important to me. For me, for example, "respectful professional environment where my contributions are valued, a comfortable work/life balance, and timely and constructive feedback for professional growth" would be what I would say I am looking for. And then I let them respond-- hopefully with something that says: we have what you want.

ALSO: always be sure to let them know you want the job, IF YOU WANT IT.

After an interviewer tells me about the job in their own words (always a good thing to ask them to give you), and about the environment and culture, whatever, if it sounds like a good fit, TELL THEM THAT: Say: "That seems like a good fit, I'm very happy to hear that. It sounds like I could be successful here." That kind of thing. VALIDATE.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^^^
Gypsy, you have really summed that up beautifully. It is a two way street and you BOTH have to be happy in the situation. Awesome advice --- As USUAL!!!

Good luck Distracts!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once again THANK YOU! Omg, this post has been SO helpful for me. It's one thing to read information on generic websites and quite another to have it from people I respect. And DF. :razz:

I think have read up on everything I could possibly read up on - though probably some interview question will prove that I haven't - and am really excited. I've thought hard about my weaknesses and strengths and worked with my fiance on how to talk about them (my main one isn't relevant to the job - you all know it though - a weakness for shiny objects!). I've picked out my outfit and have printed off a couple of copies of my resume (on actual resume paper - it's the first time I haven't emailed my resume). I know I can totally rock at this job, so I hope I can nail the interview.

It's in only an hour now! Thanks again, everyone, I will definitely update you with what happens!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DUST, DUST, DUST!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto the DUST DUST DUST!! Hope you hear soon - we are all rooting for you!!! Good luck! I'm sure you will stand out as a stunning candidate!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
How did it go, Distracts? I loved reading the advice you were given.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it went well Distracts! Sending you post interview dust that you get offered the position!!

Great advice everyone!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the dust and warm words. It went well - I have been hired and start tomorrow. Or maybe I've been offered the position and am in the process of being hired - I haven't actually filled out the paperwork, but will do that tomorrow.

I had hoped I would know today if there was a strong possibility of hiring me - my previous experiences in actually every job I've had have been quick hirings with near-immediate start dates - but I didn't think that was necessarily realistic for this. I DID suspect, due to the nature of their initial interview request, that they may have been under more of a time-crunch than usual, and that was confirmed. I was being interviewed by two people and had been told there was a third I'd need to interview with if it went well, and I had thought that would be scheduled for another day, but he was called in in the middle of the interview. I got along with everyone, which is good because they will be the people I am working most closely with. And OF COURSE since I bought resume paper (absurdly expensive!) and printed my resume out, no one asked to look at it. But I guess better overprepared and hired than underprepared and not! So I hope everything goes well, I continue to get along with everyone, and everything like that.

OH, AND today was my birthday. So it was a pretty good birthday present. :D

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:

YIPPEE!! (and a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)
that's wonderful news, distracts!! so glad it all worked out for you --- wow --- the power of PS dust, huh??? (although I'm preeeeeetty sure you got the job on your own merits ;)) )

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
Congrats and happy birthday!!! No wonder you got the job; the advice I was reading above was fantastic. And like Enerchi said, I'm sure it was all you.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wonderful! Congrats and happy birthday!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love happy endings like this! It really sounds like they hired you based on your "fit" with the people and if that is the case, you really can't go wrong! I hope it turns out really well and its one big lovefest! And Happy Belated Bday!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results