shape
carat
color
clarity

Jharnagems from Ebay is the best Ethiopian Opal Vendor on the Internet

bakerlisa4343

Rough_Rock
I love love love Opals! .I just received my last order via FedbEx today and my husband was yelling at me about spending more money. I told him to come look and he said, "More jewelry! We don't need you to waste money on more....Ooooh! Opals! Wow, these are gorgeous! Do I get one? OK, I'm sorry for yelling, these are BEAUTIFUL!"

I have been buiyng opals from jharnagems from the last 3 months . Oh Boy !! I havent been more happier .
They seriouly have some amazing deals on their auctions. Its rare to find such a good vendor on the internet .
I really wish that he got higher bids as his gems are worth so much more.

https://www.ebay.com/str/jharnagems?LH_Auction=1&_sop=16&rt=nc

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

When I bought my first opals I felt like you. I viewed them in the container they came in. I was dancing like you and ordered 3 more. However, when these arrived and I removed all of them from their boxes and lo ,and behold, they became almost colorless. I cannot tell you my disappointment.
They need to sit on a dark color to show off their beauty. I sent three back. I kept one . It sits on black velvet and I occasionally look at it.

I went to the website you mentioned and I agree the prices look good and the stones look great. But I know when you lift them off the dark base, the color play leaves. But they look like nice stones and for the money I might still bid if I could figure out how to set them to show that color play.

Thanks for posting.

Annette

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just looked at the ebay store, and oh boy are those photos /videos misleading. the colors aren't anywhere close to what would be seen in real life. My guess is that most of these stones are almost transparent in natural lighting.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First post and it's to ooh and aah over the "great deals" from a low-ball eBay vendor with deceptive photos? I mean those photos are crazy oversaturated -- and sloppily done! Even the fingers look beet red!

I hate to be mean if you're legit, but this post seems like it's from a vendor proxy.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,

When I bought my first opals I felt like you. I viewed them in the container they came in. I was dancing like you and ordered 3 more. However, when these arrived and I removed all of them from their boxes and lo ,and behold, they became almost colorless. I cannot tell you my disappointment.
They need to sit on a dark color to show off their beauty. I sent three back. I kept one . It sits on black velvet and I occasionally look at it.

I went to the website you mentioned and I agree the prices look good and the stones look great. But I know when you lift them off the dark base, the color play leaves. But they look like nice stones and for the money I might still bid if I could figure out how to set them to show that color play.

Thanks for posting.

Annette

This is the catch 22 of Crystal Opal without a lot of brightness and saturation of colour from any location. It takes some smart setting in jewelry to help those colours pop more, so it can be done =)2

bakerlisa4343

Rough_Rock
I have been reading several posts this week without creating a account in this website. I finally created a account yesterday and my first post was about this seller becuase i was extremely happy with the quality of opals and felt it deserves a shoutout .
Below are the opals i have bought from this vendor .I hope you can understand now why i am so excited:D:D 90bfcd06-44d3-41ed-a92c-78a8d998ae4c.jpg

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Mmhmm...so what are you planning on doing with TWENTY mis-matched opals? :think:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cobblestone cuff.
I see it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t realize those were fingers :lol-2: I thought it was orange background lol.

At any rate, the other day I asked mods to move this to vendor reviews since it’s in the wrong forum anyway.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of those opals are smoked to create a dark base, so I hope you’re aware of that.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Some of those opals are smoked to create a dark base, so I hope you’re aware of that.
o_O I have no idea what that even is, so I'm glad I'm not buying any kind of opals :mrgreen2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
o_O I have no idea what that even is, so I'm glad I'm not buying any kind of opals :mrgreen2:
When an Ethiopian opal has a very dark base, it’s treated or smoked to make it look more like an Aussie black opal. The lighter material typically isn’t, but Ethiopian opals are often dyed to create different base colors. The way you can usually tell if it’s dyed is if you submerge the opal in water for a few days and the water changes color and/or the opal doesn’t lighten. Many dyed opals are obvious colors like neon paraiba blue, which doesn’t occur in nature.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When an Ethiopian opal has a very dark base, it’s treated or smoked to make it look more like an Aussie black opal. The lighter material typically isn’t, but Ethiopian opals are often dyed to create different base colors. The way you can usually tell if it’s dyed is if you submerge the opal in water for a few days and the water changes color and/or the opal doesn’t lighten. Many dyed opals are obvious colors like neon paraiba blue, which doesn’t occur in nature.

I've got some natural Opals in my stock that show a hue going towards that Paraiba colour. It's bloody rare to get that hue though and the stones are expensive when the miners find them! :shock:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18BC3EAE-891E-40A1-A8FD-14BA365A820C.jpeg 1DAE5857-ACFC-46E0-BD75-6C6306AAAF3B.jpeg
I've got some natural Opals in my stock that show a hue going towards that Paraiba colour. It's bloody rare to get that hue though and the stones are expensive when the miners find them! :shock:
Well the dyed ones I’ve seen are flat in color and look really fake. Here’s a comparison of natural fine paraiba like color to the fake color. I don’t have to tell you which is which.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mine, which is natural color, and has a turquoise base color.but as you turn it, orange pops out along the side. The blue color takes over the whole stone if you look at it face on. That’s another way to tell natural color. Also the dyed ones often have poor color play. They typically dye inferior stones. The middle picture shows the red color play.

1B920E40-9839-43FF-AC50-54D643121F9D.jpeg

406698E6-6288-4DE3-906B-7E5725312469.jpeg 381F49CB-8E8A-45D5-85E4-AB8964B314DB.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They also dye them hot pink, neon yellow, bright green. When your opal looks more like a jelly bean than an opal, something is amiss.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
381F49CB-8E8A-45D5-85E4-AB8964B314DB.jpeg [/QUOTE]

Uhh @TL this is off topic but are gems in your halo Zircons? What are they? All those colors...so pretty?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mine, which is natural color, and has a turquoise base color.but as you turn it, orange pops out along the side. The blue color takes over the whole stone if you look at it face on. That’s another way to tell natural color. Also the dyed ones often have poor color play. They typically dye inferior stones. The middle picture shows the red color play.

1B920E40-9839-43FF-AC50-54D643121F9D.jpeg

406698E6-6288-4DE3-906B-7E5725312469.jpeg 381F49CB-8E8A-45D5-85E4-AB8964B314DB.jpeg

that setting :love::love::love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Uhh @TL this is off topic but are gems in your halo Zircons? What are they? All those colors...so pretty?[/QUOTE]
No, they’re lab created gems, not sure, but I think they’re sapphire. Thank you. I am not adverse to using synthetic or simulant melee.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm totally obsessed with your setting TL!

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
662459EF-D005-4EAA-9416-D89A0DA6EECF.jpeg
I'm totally obsessed with your setting TL!
Thanks, the setting was a lucky find. I like surrounding opals with multi color melee. This is my all time favorite opal ring which is my inspiration piece, not like I’d ever own this, but it’s just beyond belief. This is Australian though.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
662459EF-D005-4EAA-9416-D89A0DA6EECF.jpeg
Thanks, the setting was a lucky find. I like surrounding opals with multi color melee. This is my all time favorite opal ring which is my inspiration piece, not like I’d ever own this, but it’s just beyond belief. This is Australian though.

Seeing your opal setting with multicolor gems inspired me to reset my black opal with tsavorites:kiss2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing your opal setting with multicolor gems inspired me to reset my black opal with tsavorites:kiss2:
That’s great!! I’m currently trying to find a setting with green melee as well (chrome diopside or tsavorite) to enhance an opal I own with lots of green color play.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooohhh, those are gorgeous tsavorite melee. I’m so excited to see the finished project now!:appl:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irk...my head is spinning because in also found some gorgeous 2.5 mm rubalite melee that would contest nicely.
So it will be one or the other with the black opal.

il_570xN.1214397598_tcbh.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or do both tsavorite and rubellite melee. Opals love multiple colors surrounding them.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Apparently Missouririversapphireco on IG has some neon blue opals

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results