shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewels by Grace Custom Setting?

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I just purchased a 3.4ct OMC and we're looking for people in the LA area to set it. I looked at DK but didn't love his settings and am looking for something a little more delicate (a la Victor Barbone). Has anyone had a custom setting done by Jewels by Grace? I really love their customer service so far!

Thanks!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
David Klass can do whatever you want. I would not hesitate to ask him about what you want.

He can literally make whatever.

I don't know that Grace works with outside stones?

What is your budget?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, another thought. Isn't your stone from Old World? If it is, they have a bench and they can make a setting for you.

You would just need to show them inspiration pictures of what you were looking for and they could create a CAD design.

It really makes the most sense usually to have the vendor that sold you the stone work and set the stone if possible, so you're not shipping it everywhere.

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
Sorry, another thought. Isn't your stone from Old World? If it is, they have a bench and they can make a setting for you.

You would just need to show them inspiration pictures of what you were looking for and they could create a CAD design.

It really makes the most sense usually to have the vendor that sold you the stone work and set the stone if possible, so you're not shipping it everywhere.

Thank you @elizat for all of your advice!! It is from OWD and we originally were going to have him set it, but my partner hasn’t seen the diamond yet (I was in NYC for work) and he wants to see the diamond in person before 100% committing and deciding on a setting! We live in LA so that’s why we decided on doing the setting local.

I got a quote from DK I just haven’t seen any bands of his that are very thin/delicate - but I definitely will go meet him in person and discuss what’s possible!

Jewels by Grace does work with customer stones - I was surprised too when I asked!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP you have a large stone so when you say "thin/delicate" bands, make sure whatever you decide on is structurally sound enough to support a stone of that size. Do you have inspiration photos?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
OP you have a large stone so when you say "thin/delicate" bands, make sure whatever you decide on is structurally sound enough to support a stone of that size. Do you have inspiration photos?

Yes. This. A shank should be at least 2 mm for safety.

Maytal Hannah is in LA, I think. She will work with a customer stone.

Any photos of what you like?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Ah okay thank you!! Great advice. I loveee the Alva setting from VB - https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/2-carat-diamond-engagement-ring-side-stones

I’ll check out Maytal - thank you!

David Klass can make that.

The way it works is people send him their inspiration photos and he does the design. It's possible that he just hasn't posted something similar enough to what you like on his pages. But he can basically do whatever!

I would not drop down to below 2 mm for the shank though.

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
David Klass can make that.

The way it works is people send him their inspiration photos and he does the design. It's possible that he just hasn't posted something similar enough to what you like on his pages. But he can basically do whatever!

I would not drop down to below 2 mm for the shank though.

Okay great!! Thank you so much!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!!! I believe this is the ring concierge setting but I love this one too!!
It is the same setting yes.
If it helps at all, the Ring Concierge setting is a copy of a true antique so it’s not her unique design. She makes hers very thin imo and a bit too delicate for bigger stones.
I kept these pictures of the CADs when someone else posted hers as the DK version is one I’ve considered for a reset. It’s still delicate without being structurally unsound.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I would suggest DK as well. Grace is quite pricey.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DK hands down, if you want to stay local and you want that design. He can do anything. That being said, Old World Diamond’s bench is really great, and their design sense, especially their baskets and prongs are very classy. I wouldn’t hesitate to reach out to Adam to do your setting, it’s just an insured Fedex away. Also, I believe OWD has also done a design very similar to the one you posted. Check out their Instagram photos.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go to Grace for a custom setting. I'd go to her for antique diamonds or jewelry. For custom jewelry, I'd go directly to a jeweler who does the designs and has the bench to make the ring.

I had saved the same design that foxinsox posted. DK can so easily change that head to the one you like. Definitely your best choice for local.

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice!! We decided to go with DK!

Ive attached the working design here snd would love any feedback if you all are willing!! I wanted to incorporate the crown basket from the 3 stone VB ring (if anyone saw that thread) with the vintage side shoulders from the VB Alva setting/RC signature antique. I’m not sure if this will end up being too much though? 0D394434-B61A-42BA-BCC0-C0127B44EB48.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried on a ring with this size centerstone and this thin a shank?

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
Have you tried on a ring with this size centerstone and this thin a shank?

I tried one on that was 3ct but it was actually 1.25mm which felt way way too thin! So we upped it to 1.6 (and might go to 1.8 if needed)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
1.25 is not only too thin it’s absurdly thin.

So is 1.6mm. This shank is just too thin. So is 1.8mm.

The folks who gave you advice to not go below 2mm have a lot of experience with custom settings.

Heed their advice. Seriously. It will still look very dainty. You could also add a taper so it is a little thinner towards the stone and thicker towards the bottom where it is most likely to be whacked. But that wouldn’t look good with the tri wire shank.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a similar size stone in a setting with a sub 1.8 shank.
I won’t say it’s flimsy - but I cannot imagine it a daily wear either.

Sounds like you have a frame of reference though to make that choice! Just thought I’d ask.

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
1.25 is not only too thin it’s absurdly thin.

So is 1.6mm. This shank is just too thin. So is 1.8mm.

The folks who gave you advice to not go below 2mm have a lot of experience with custom settings.

Heed their advice. Seriously. It will still look very dainty. You could also add a taper so it is a little thinner towards the stone and thicker towards the bottom where it is most likely to be whacked. But that wouldn’t look good with the tri wire shank.

Thank you!! We’ll go try on some bands that are 2+mm!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried one on that was 3ct but it was actually 1.25mm which felt way way too thin! So we upped it to 1.6 (and might go to 1.8 if needed)

1.8 is still too thin…If you hit that ring…and it will happen…or grip something it can go out of round. Your diamond is too large to have anything less than 2mm.

supsupbaby007

Rough_Rock
Thank you all!! We def will look into 2mm+!
Other than the size of the shank, do you see anything else that should be changed?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d like to point out that if you’d like to wear a band flush with this you should ask him to tuck the gallery/basket in under the center stone. That basket will have a gap with a band. Pretty design otherwise. Oh, I wouldn’t go lower than 2mm either for some durability.

ETA I also don’t find that type of wider basket as comfortable to wear. I prefer a more streamlined gallery because my fingers swell.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I totally get wanting a dainty look. The rings you see on IG often are super flimsy looking and I am appalled to see many of them being sold honestly.

the wide donut at the bottom will leave a large gaps as @Slick1 mentioned so depends on what you like

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I totally get wanting a dainty look. The rings you see on IG often are super flimsy looking and I am appalled to see many of them being sold honestly.

the wide donut at the bottom will leave a large gaps as @Slick1 mentioned so depends on what you like
I am huge fan of the wide opening. I often wish I could get all my rings reset with an open bottom. They don’t feel tight when my fingers swell in the summer and they are easy to clean. I can get a qtip in to dry mine amd never have to deal with water spots. YMMV.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am huge fan of the wide opening. I often wish I could get all my rings reset with an open bottom. They don’t feel tight when my fingers swell in the summer and they are easy to clean. I can get a qtip in to dry mine amd never have to deal with water spots. YMMV.

I think @Cerulean was referring to the size of the donut and the ability to have a wedding band sit flush against it vs a large gap between the two rings. If you don't want a gap, then then the donut should be made smaller. I can't speak to the comfort factor mentioned by @Slick1. The underside can still be left open for cleaning. Bad photos but examples of the difference:

Gap
IMG_4006.jpg

No Gap
IMG_4007.jpg

The donut on your CAD will mean the wedding band will have the gap. Some folks like them and others don't but you should know your preference. Either can have an opening on the bottom for cleaning.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widening the band and tucking in the basket will help minimize the gap if that’s what you want. Just tell David or Amy you’d like to minimize the gap as much as you can. If you don’t mind the gap then I think the CAD looks great and only needs the band to get to at least 2 mm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results