shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry with bead advice needed

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in over my head but luckily I know just where to turn!

I recently came across some 2mm aventurine beads that I just had to buy to turn into a little seed bead bracelet. Only problem is, I’ve never done anything like this before.

My inclination is to get some elastic and make a little stretchy bracelet. I did a little research and found tube “clamp beads” to cover my knots. But I am in no way married to this plan! The only real limitation I have is, I really only want one “row” of beads, not to try to make it wider or more intricate.

Am I better off using wire and a tiny lobster clasp? Is there another approach that is more foolproof?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re going to string it and add a clasp, you’ll need either tiger tail wire or monofilament. I’m not sure that you’ll be able to successfully cover the knot in the stretchy elastic with 2mm beads.

The crimp beads or tubes, (I prefer the tubes) are used to secure the wire, but I then use a crimp cover to tidy things up, these give the appearance of a silver (or gold colour) bead either end of the beads.

If you use monofilament you could just knot it on to the lobster claw clasp and jump ring, and because it’s almost invisible, you wouldn’t really notice it.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re going to string it and add a clasp, you’ll need either tiger tail wire or monofilament. I’m not sure that you’ll be able to successfully cover the knot in the stretchy elastic with 2mm beads.

The crimp beads or tubes, (I prefer the tubes) are used to secure the wire, but I then use a crimp cover to tidy things up, these give the appearance of a silver (or gold colour) bead either end of the beads.

If you use monofilament you could just knot it on to the lobster claw clasp and jump ring, and because it’s almost invisible, you wouldn’t really notice it.

Thank you!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add @MissStepcut , if you’re going to use monofilament, get a closed jump ring for the lobster claw to attach to. The monofilament is very fine and could possibly slip through an ordinary jump ring unless it’s soldered.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Stretchy cord comes in many diameters. Before using, cut a length and pre stretch it by pulling on the length from one end and then the other. Knot left over right, right over left. There are round crimp covers that will fit over the knot and are shaped like a round bead. I use sterling silver. Once they are crimped in place, use jewellers cement and glue inside the bead crimp so that it is secure and so that the edges of the crimp don’t sever the elastic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results