shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Down the Drain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a bad idea, but you would have to have one in every drain you are ever going to use, to be safe. I am so very careful around all drains, so hopefully I won''t need one.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s my nightmare, dropping a diamond earring down the drain....

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 10:17:53 AM
Author: luv2sparkle
Not a bad idea, but you would have to have one in every drain you are ever going to use, to be safe. I am so very careful around all drains, so hopefully I won''t need one.

That is what I was thinking, but then my thought was, where is it most likely to happen? And for me, that would be the kitchen sink or the sink in the master bathroom.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 10:25:32 AM
Author: gemgirl
That''s my nightmare, dropping a diamond earring down the drain....
I know this drain would stop a ring, but would it stop a small diamond earring or even a diamond that got loose and fell out of a setting from passing through....

My mother lost a beautiful jadeite stone that was mounted in a ring - we think it was loose in the setting and it must have fallen out when she put clothes in the washing machine, although I sometimes wonder if went down the kitchen sink while she was doing dishes
8.gif

Kroshka

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2009 11:37:21 AM
Author: kroshka

Date: 10/11/2009 10:25:32 AM
Author: gemgirl
That's my nightmare, dropping a diamond earring down the drain....
I know this drain would stop a ring, but would it stop a small diamond earring or even a diamond that got loose and fell out of a setting from passing through....

My mother lost a beautiful jadeite stone that was mounted in a ring - we think it was loose in the setting and it must have fallen out when she put clothes in the washing machine, although I sometimes wonder if went down the kitchen sink while she was doing dishes
8.gif

Kroshka
Well it's already happened to me many years ago when I was married to my first husband and living in an apartment. I was washing a poly-silk blouse in the bathroom sink and the soap must have helped my wedding band slip off while I was squishing my blouse in the soapy bubbles. All I know is- when I was finished rinsing the blouse, my wedding band was gone. My landload opened the elbow in the pipes under the sink, but that sucker was gone. Since we lived in the city then, it got swept out to God knows where- the Hudson River somewhere.
5.gif
Or wherever everyones water and waste from the city goes. Ughhhh!

Soon afterwards, I caught him cheating. I should have taken the lost wedding band as a sign.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting. But doesn''t an ordinary trap work the same way? Isn''t that why it is called a trap?
3.gif

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 6:27:05 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Interesting. But doesn''t an ordinary trap work the same way? Isn''t that why it is called a trap?
3.gif

If you scroll down the page a bit more they actually have a video with how it works. It''s kind of neat and the concept is useful for clogs, etc.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
That is really cool! I clearly need that!

A few days ago, my diamond stud nearly went down the drain - I foolishly put a small container of jewelry under the faucet at full blast. The stud went flying out... Thank goodness I stick one of these over my drains whenever I'm about to rinse jewelry. I'm a klutz so I kind of always assume the worst case scenario when handling slippery studs. It totally saved my hair from going white. It was still really scary for a few minutes, though! I really thought I lost it until the suds cleared.
6.gif

meshtrappy.jpg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Down the drain - I''m paranoid about it. I almost lost a stud a few years ago in the shower. Somehow it worked out of my earlobe and I heard it
bouncing across the shower floor. I found it within inches of the drain. I always cover the sink drain or close it tightly when cleaning all my jewelry,
I just don''t trust me!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually had my wedding band go down the drain, I took my rings off to put handcream on and my rings slipped out of my hands and my ering landed in the sink and the wring went down the drain
6.gif
luckily my husband is very handy and took the drain apart and rescued my ring
36.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2009 6:27:05 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
3.gif

No, this is better.
It can help undesirable things, like clogs, move along and can make desirable things, like rings, easier to get back.

Plus it is clear so you can see what is there. (though I''d imagine it would quickly get dirty and opaque down there.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2009 11:37:21 AM
Author: kroshka

I think that would depend on how fast the water is flowing at the bottom of the trap and the weight of the small diamond.

A heavier object would be more likely to fall down and stay put resisting the force of the water flow at the bottom of the trap.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea. I try to stay away from drains too but my jewel jet I use at the sink and that makes me very nervous. I put down towels in the sink.

One time I had a pearl get pulled off a ring by a ribbed cuff when I was getting undressed. It arched across the room and went through the slats in a floor vent about 7 feet away without evening hitting them. I couldn''t have dropped it down the vent that perfectly if I tried. We heard the pearl hit the furnace pipe and roll in the basement. DH went downstairs and stuck his arm up in the pipes and found the pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results