shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler''s a relative- is this a reasonable price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ss

Rough_Rock
We're currently searching for a diamond and have gone a jeweler who is related to my fiance and said she would let us purchase a diamond for about wholesale price. We drove down today and this is what she quoted:

For a diamond that is 1.15 carat, color G, VS2 or better, ideal cut with above 60% table. her retail price is $9000-$9999 (I cannot remember exact price). Is this a good price for that diamond given that is all of the information I have right now?

We're looking for a diamond that is approx. 1 carat, color H or better, VS2 or better, ideal cut but don't know what to expect to pay. Any help would be appreciated. Also- what is the average mark-up for diamonds (retailer's mark-up)?

She's not a close relative but I want to make sure her prices are fair without offending the fiance. Please help. Thanks.

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
oh my gosh...way to high!!!!
check pricescope for your 1.15-1.25 g-vs2...you'll be surprised, at least $2000. less if not more!!
Its obvious this is not a close relative...keep shopping around.

aFatCat

Rough_Rock
"ideal cut with above 60% table"

there are many description of what an "ideal" cut diamond is. im not an expert but i think a table that is above 60% is not as ideal as a table that is below 60%. i think a good table % would be around 55-57%. again, im not an expert but hopefully one can come in and correct me if i am wrong.

good luck.:))

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should follow the discussion on the "....... final conclusion" thread.
This will give you an idea because this person has been around here for quite a while and will track down a real bargain.
As for your problem - just quietly give the jeweler a call and say you are shopping on the internet and would they be prepared to match the price, or even get the stone in for you that you eventually track down. You see most stones on the web are owned by 3rd party distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results