Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

jeweler robbed of 2 mil in diamonds and has no insurance

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,963
Poor guy.
I wonder who owned the diamonds.
Him?

Also, I'd expect diamond merchants carrying stones would be VERY secretive about their movements.
I wonder if someone inside the industry informed the thugs.
 

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
3,101
Actually, you would be surprised at the amount of jewelers that cant afford insurance in the last 10 years because of increasing costs! everything from paying for benefits for employees,the cost of rent & utility's, the cost of merchandise and advertising.... its a wonder that the few brick and mortars that are open are still in business and hanging on with the economy the way it has been over the last decade!
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
Not surprising, I guess, Jewelerman. Don't diamond merchants in NYC carry stones around & not have insurance? Maybe it's the way the industry operates -- I know they do business w/a handshake instead of contracts; think that's been discussed here too.

Whether he owned the stones or had them on consignment, he will have to eat the cost unless they're recovered, poor guy. I hope the $2 million figure was retail value & not what he is out of pocket. You're right, somebody on the inside obviously was involved. Hope they nail them.

--- Laurie
 

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
12,111
Yikes-definitely sounds like an inside job. I'm glad the guy's okay but that is a lot of money to be out of!

I do find it interesting how diamond dealers do business, though. I was in the diamond district in LA once and an elderly man (I assume a dealer) picked up a bunch of diamonds from a vendor and was about to walk away with them not even concealed at all. The man selling them was very alarmed and told him to please put them in his inside jacket pocket! The elderly man did but if there had been any unscrupulous people around he would have been an easy target!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,117
It's awful and I feel bad for him but I sure wouldn't carry around something like that at 10 pm at night in a big city.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
That's horrible! Seems like it would have to have been an inside job. Otherwise, seems like a lot of men to rob a regular guy of his backpack!
 

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
12,170
That's awful. Poor man. It does sound like an inside job.
 

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
8,614
Why would he not have insurance :confused:

Still, it sucks that someone would do that... :nono:
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
A jeweler in our town was robbed Of about a million and didn't have insurance. Crazy to think that jewelers might not all be insured.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,399
Tuckins1|1313920301|2995544 said:
Why would he not have insurance :confused:

Still, it sucks that someone would do that... :nono:
b/c it cost too much to insure...

when i used to do coin show we always carry guns.one time me and a coin dealer friend was driving home from a coin show and our car broke down in the middle of nowhere (before cellular phone days) we had like $70k in cash + $500k in coins between us,and my friend had to walk over a mile to the nearest pay phone and call for help. i had to stay in the car with our valuables .my friend said ...if somebody comes near this car "SHOOT EM". ...anyhow,we were not insure b/c we can't afford the high insurance premium.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Dancing Fire|1313959892|2995888 said:
Tuckins1|1313920301|2995544 said:
Why would he not have insurance :confused:

Still, it sucks that someone would do that... :nono:
b/c it cost too much to insure...

when i used to do coin show we always carry guns.one time me and a coin dealer friend was driving home from a coin show and our car broke down in the middle of nowhere (before cellular phone days) we had like $70k in cash + $500k in coins between us,and my friend had to walk over a mile to the nearest pay phone and call for help. i had to stay in the car with our valuables .my friend said ...if somebody comes near this car "SHOOT EM". ...anyhow,we were not insure b/c we can't afford the high insurance premium.

And this is what high insurance premiums do to people.... make them take matters into their own hands!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
40,437
Amys Bling|1313978933|2996214 said:
Dancing Fire|1313959892|2995888 said:
Tuckins1|1313920301|2995544 said:
Why would he not have insurance :confused:

Still, it sucks that someone would do that... :nono:
b/c it cost too much to insure...

when i used to do coin show we always carry guns.one time me and a coin dealer friend was driving home from a coin show and our car broke down in the middle of nowhere (before cellular phone days) we had like $70k in cash + $500k in coins between us,and my friend had to walk over a mile to the nearest pay phone and call for help. i had to stay in the car with our valuables .my friend said ...if somebody comes near this car "SHOOT EM". ...anyhow,we were not insure b/c we can't afford the high insurance premium.

And this is what high insurance premiums do to people.... make them take matters into their own hands!
I believe you should be able to protect yourself (and your property) and I would have no qualms shooting someone who was trying to harm me. The issue is you do not know when someone is trying to rob you if they plan on hurting/killing you in the process so I say protect yourself by whatever means possible. Of course your life is not worth risking over material things but I see nothing wrong ethically speaking with shooting someone who is robbing you.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top