shape
carat
color
clarity

Jenny Lee Bridal Gowns

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any idea how much they run? I keep falling in love with dresses in magazines and then finding out they are $30,000 or something crazy like that.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hey Abradabra,

I don't know about them being $30,000 or so, since I was looking at some Vera Wang dresses at Saks Fifth Avenue, and they were around $2,500 to $10,000.... I don't see jenny Lee being OVER Vera Wangs....

I can tell by where they sell in NYC, that they are a bit pricey (not exactly a David Bridal), but not toally ridiculous. The Bridal Atelier by Mark Ingram is actually where I got my dress (NOT a Jenny Lee), so the prices hover around $2,000 to somewhere close to $10,000.

I would put Jenny Lee around an average Price of $3,500 or so. That's just a guess, based on the seller, and not taking into consideration WHICH Jenny Lee you like.

When it says Couture on it, they really mean "just add a few thousand to a rational number"

In Virginia there is a store you can check out the dresses at in Alexandria:

Hannelore's Bridal Boutique
Alexandria, VA
(703) 549-0387

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I actually have an appointment at Hannelore's soon...

I'm looking to say under $5,000, but I want to get something really special--even if I totally overpay. I had been loving a couple of the Monique L'Huillier gowns, but heard that some of hers quickly top $20,000, so I wanted to make sure these would be a realistic option before I got my hopes up.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious about one thing about these nec plus ultra wedding gowns... and this sounds like the appropriate thread to ask.

Mine has been designed on order. Is it common at all to have dresses made on order in the US at all? It is a common option here and the process is quite lovely
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Actually Ana, I had already found a lovely young lady dress designer who had made her own wedding gown, and was going to make mine as well. She designs and makes dresses or major firms in NYC.

My only issue was that I didn't ever see her dress making quality, so it scared me that I wouldn't get the same construction and quality I saw on some of the dresses I tried on. I tried on all types of dresses from Jessica McClintock $300 gowns to a Carolina Herrera $28,500 gown. And in the end, some of the nicest gowns were the ones that paid attention to details and luxury...

The designer who is making my dress (Anne Barge at www.annebarge.com) was at a trunk show for her gowns in NYC at the retailer she uses. I was there when she was showing the gowns and I noticed that she actually had great attention to detail, a fairly decent price (I bargained it a bit), and also was very very accomodating.

I tried on one dress (her famous "Anne" gown that they use in most of their advertising, an I LOVED the top, but wasn't crazy about the bottom of the gown. Then I tried on another gown and loved the bottom but not the top.

The elements from both dresses fit perfectly together, and she was surprised she never considered it. She agreed to create a new pattern with both elements I liked. She also loved the idea so much she will create the dress for her Fall 2006 Collection, and start selling the new design in her line!

I liked her, I liked the quality, she was willing o customize the gown to my taste and so even if it cost more than I would have spent to have the other designer to make it from scratch, I believe the price difference was worth it, because I saw the quality and final products.

Tell us about your dress!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ana...do you mean totally designed by your sketches? That's very cool! I know with mine, which I picked from the store, it was done specifically done for me...they make you the dress out of muslin fabric first...you go for fittings are wear this muslin ...like a burlap bag LOL...and then the dress is made from that template...Ahhh, I want to be a bride again!!!
1.gif
cry.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/19/2004 10:33:56 AM moremoremore wrote:

Ana...do you mean totally designed by your sketches?
----------------

Yes! The dress has to fit a small coktail party rather than the traditional reception and then, I had to have a specific silk brocade, traditional Romanian embroidery and my great-grandmother's vail...
White handmade silk brocade came on order from a Thai importer, a local worshop reproduced 17 century Romanian embroidery and my seamstress put all things together. Crazy ?
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not crazy. I'd say beautiful. My sis design her own wedding dress (more of a cocktail type so it can be reworn) using Thai brocade silk with a plain wrap and matching brocade purse.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
As far as I have researched, I only know of fittings being done with muslin. I think it's an old-school sort of method, that drapes better than the whole pattern making...

Another reason I went with the designer was because I wanted a more elaborate dress (a more formal dress) with intricate beading and little details like a built-in crinoline skirt with a soft cotton overlay so your legs don't get all scratched and stuff. These are all possible with a dress designer, but literally such details are hard to get from most seamstresses here.

I have lots of dress designs I want made, but I can't find anyone who'se work is to the standard I have, and whose price I can yet afford...

Ana, would you consider posting pictures of the dress process 9if you feel comfortable), because I don't think I have seen a traditional ROmanian wedding, per se. My brother's wife (who is Romanian) got married here with a American gown, and my uncle's wife (also Romanian) also had an American gown, so I've never seen one!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/19/2004 2:07:24 PM Nicrez wrote:

Ana, would you consider posting pictures of the dress process (if you feel comfortable), because I don't think I have seen a traditional ROmanian wedding, per se.

----------------

Hm.... not sure I want my figure online. Anyway, even if I do post the pictures, this is by no means traditional. And Romanian weddings and dresses are a rather generic international affair.

It's hard to find a traditional wedding, even in remote countryside these days. I did want to get the real thing innitially, but since the wedding will not be in Romania, I didn't really want to look like some walking national flag
2.gif

Anyway, I can't wait to see the embroidery done - I was so lucky to find someone in the know about three dimentional needle work and it took months ! At least I can understand your quest for fine tayloring after this search.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Now I hope I don't offend, but in all honesty, I find it hard to find quality craftsmanship here in the US for a decent price, whereas in other countries it's a trade that many people take pride in and charge decently for. Example, my fiancee actually has custom tailored pants made for him when he goes home and since he hasn't been there in a whille, he was forced to buy clothing that was ready-made here from stores. The look, feel and quality are so terrible in comparison, that to get decently equal items, you would need to be spending at least 4X or more to get that here...

Hey Ana, where are you getting married? In europe? I understand about getting your figure out there on the net isn't such a lovely idea. I personally wouldn't, but I sure would love to see the stitching and pictures of the dress (without the model is OK)...
2.gif

Now actually I have been dying to get a coat made for me, to copy a D&G suit coat I bought a while ago. Finding someone with good quality tailoring and who can do this design justice is NOT easy at ALL!!! And forget about being cost effective. I might as well go to Italy and have it made there for the price it takes to make it here!
rolleyes.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/20/2004 8:05:54 AM Nicrez wrote:

I sure would love to see the stitching and pictures of the dress (without the model is OK)...
2.gif

----------------

Sure
1.gif
I'll be back from a little trip and receiving the dress in about 3 weeks. Fingers crossed !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results