shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff Davies iolite in a Daniel M ring

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Iolite isn't very popular here, and I understand why--it can be so dark, and its pleochroism makes it behave so strangely. But I love the deep, inky blue-violet, and I find it magical the way all the color drains out when you look at it from certain angles. I hunted for a well-cut example for a long time before finding one from Jeff Davies. I asked Daniel M to set it for me in Argentium silver, to give it an art deco feel, and to emphasize the octagonal shape.

Here it is: my invisible ink ring.

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

Here it is doing its invisible-ink thing where the color vanishes from certain angles:

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:shock: I didn't know they could do that! It's like magic(science, yeah?) but going with magic!
I love the geometry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iolite can be a beautiful stone if cut properly and it’s tone is nice.

Lovely ring.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring! I have a couple small iolite stones in a bracelet and I too love to see them vanish!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the diamond people wonder why we love these things that are so full of surprises! I love the way some colored stones -- like yours -- look different all the time.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
That is the prettiest iolite I've ever seen (and I own some)! I love your ring.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the kind words, jewelry friends! Here it is in the sunlight:

IMG_2327.jpg

I decided I needed an iolite when I saw the Making Marvels exhibition at the Met last year, just before the pandemic shut everything down. Did any of you see it? There was a room full of jewelry borrowed from Dresden, including the Dresden Green diamond, and among them was a giant "lynx sapphire" (iolite) that blew my mind. It's the big, round blue stone set in the bottom of the hat ornament in the center of the top row here:
Closer photo:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually have a soft spot for iolite.

I got an iolite pendant for a friend from DanielM, and was impressed by it's depth and moodiness.

I hunted for one afterwards and didn't really find anything that struck me. I think YOU however found a wonderful specimen and I looove the setting!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re twins with that shank detail !

It’s beautiful

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous! What a beautiful stone!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not know of its magical properties .. so cool. Love the ring

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
This is beautiful! I've never seen iolite in person and I need to change that! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results