shape
carat
color
clarity

JCrew Wedding Collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have somewhat of an idea of what I want my dress to look like- very simple and elegant. Granted, I haven't yet gone dress shopping (not looking forward to it), so who knows what will eventually flatter me.

I did notice awhile ago (way before I became engaged), that JCrew has a collection of wedding dresses. I've fallen in love with these two styles, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with their wedding dresses. I'd also like to know what you think of them.

THANKS in advance!

jcrewava.jpg

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the second one:

jcrewsophia.jpg

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for the second one--it''s stunning! So simple and elegant!

kgwen

Rough_Rock
I actually like the first one better--very pretty. I went to try on dresses this week--everything was way too poufy/beaded. It didn''t feel right, so I ordered the JCREW strapless Vivian style just yesterday. I can always return it to the store if I don''t like it. I''m having a destination wedding so I wanted something simple.
Can''t wait!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
One of my girl friends is actually wearing the first one to her wedding. It''s lovely on her. She wants the simple no-frills wedding.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I ordered both of those dresses as potential candidates for my destination wedding. They were very well made & nice, simple & elegant. I''m not much of a slip dress girl, though & wound up going with something with more structure (& sparkle.)
2.gif
It was no problem to send them back to J Crew for a refund.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2005 7:29:54 PM
Author: kgwen
I actually like the first one better--very pretty. I went to try on dresses this week--everything was way too poufy/beaded. It didn't feel right, so I ordered the JCREW strapless Vivian style just yesterday. I can always return it to the store if I don't like it. I'm having a destination wedding so I wanted something simple.
Can't wait!
kgwen:

I hear what you're saying. I'm not thrilled with the dresses I've seen in bridal magazines. I don't want poufy/beads, etc... Those dresses are pretty, but they're just not my style. Simple dresses have always been more flattering on me.

The Vivian dress is BEAUTIFUL! Please keep me posted on your experience.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are nice.

I picked up the thread because I love the halter style but never on me - not flattering at all, sadly...

I suspect that one or another would look better on you and that should count more than which looks nicer on a stranger.

Just a thought...

These (deceptively) simple dresses make all the sense in the world, IMO!
1.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
They both look lovely...I really like the neckline of the second one the most.

kgwen

Rough_Rock
My Vivian dress came in today in a huge box. I tried it on and unfortunately I don''t love it. I think it didn''t look flattering, sort of look sack-like on me.
I wear a size 0P and while the fit was right on, it looked a bit baggy--i think i need something more form fitting and flowy for a Hawaii wedding. The material was rather stiff also, and the color ivory was more yellow than i hoped. I think I definitely need something whiter.
7.gif

Oh well, it wasn''t cheap so i definitely will return it to the store this week. I will keep looking on-line and maybe look at some of the David''s bridal Galina dresses.

Any luck with picking a dress?? Did you order one yet?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kgwen, Love, love, love J.Crew, but their dresses don''t seen proportionate to everyone. I ordered a strapless fitted dress online this summer and it ran WAY bigger than I would''ve dreamed. I spent $40 on alterations (for a stupid vacation dress) because their size charts IMO are crazy. Anyway, I was also a fan of being a non-poufy bride, and ended up finding a dress in a bridal boutique, kind of off the beaten path in Indianapolis. I think you really just have to look around a lot, and go in with an open mind, but a good description of what you want and don''t want in a dress, as well as your price range. I tried on exactly 10 dresses and found mine, mainly because I knew I didn''t want strapless or white or poufy. You''re already out of the norm not wanting poufy, as far as strapless I don''t know, but it sounds like you also are not a white dress lover either. Don''t get discouraged yet...you will find the dress of your dreams! Just bring along an honest friend/mom/whoever to back up your own feelings on what you try on.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2005 12:06:45 AM
My Vivian dress came in today in a huge box. I tried it on and unfortunately I don''t love it. I think it didn''t look flattering, sort of look sack-like on me.
I wear a size 0P and while the fit was right on, it looked a bit baggy--i think i need something more form fitting and flowy for a Hawaii wedding. The material was rather stiff also, and the color ivory was more yellow than i hoped. I think I definitely need something whiter.
7.gif

Oh well, it wasn''t cheap so i definitely will return it to the store this week. I will keep looking on-line and maybe look at some of the David''s bridal Galina dresses.

so sorry to hear your story! I guess that''s the risk we take when going this route. i too have the same concerns about the color- I would really prefer a white dress, as my skin tone is olive. I did request a swatch, and am awaiting it''s arrival via snail-mail.

I''m planning to order the 2 dresses I posted above, but not for a couple of months (hoping to go down a couple of dress sizes!)

Too funny that you also mention the David''s Bridal Galina dresses. I saw those in a mag yesterday and really like the look of them. Let me know what you think when you see/try them on in person!

daisyblue

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/24/2005 12:06:45 AM
7.gif

I wear a 0 petite as well. Casablanca makes petite dresses and the bridesave website has a ton to choose from

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered a bridesmaid''s dress from J Crew- navy blue shorter version of the top dress I believe- the Sophia style. It was lovely- nice quality silk, which I prefer to the poly-acetate that you find in so many of the bridal stores, but my friend picked a dessy dress over it for her bridal party. I returned it to a J crew store w/ no problems.

You should also check and see if there are any ivory/white or Champagne dresses left in the Ann Taylor Celebrations line. Also the Ann Taylor website has a preview of their upcoming spring line, which I believe will be available on 1/23. I was going to have my bridesmaids get the strapless Chloe dress- tea-length in berry pink for my wedding.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second one better. Ann Taylor has wedding dresses too.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
The Nordstrom website has a lot of simple wedding dresses as well. Good luck & let us know what you find!

cdec1

Rough_Rock
dtnyc -- did you end up having your bridesmaids get the berry pink Ann Taylor Celebrations Chloe dress for your wedding? This is kind of a random question, but if your wedding is coming up soon, is there some way I could buy the dress from one of your bridesmaids after the wedding? I am a bridesmaid in my friend''s wedding -- she is getting married at the end of June and picked this dress for us to wear. I kept waiting for the store near me to get it in petite sizes to go try it on to see if it fit better than the regular. They never ended up getting the petite sizes in and so finally I went back to just get the regular size and they were out of all berry pink Chloe dresses. I called the catalog number and they are out of every size of the berry pink, anywhere in the country, and aren''t going to make it any more! I don''t want to ruin her pictures and feel so bad about this. There was a dress that looked similar on Ebay in "rhodonite" -- I bought it but it''s a totally different color. This is the only place on the internet I could find anyone even mentioning the berry pink dress. Help!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the second one the best, it''s a beauty. I think it might have a more flattering bustline, the first one might be overpowering on top. What''s their return policy? If it''s good, why not order both and wear them around the house for a while?

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
I''ve admired those dresses as well - I like the halter. However, the problem with J Crew is that they only have ivory, no white
7.gif

J Crew clothes have always fit me well, as I am tall and they always have longer lengths, so I imagine the dress probably fits pretty well for me, but I guess nto for everyone. If I were you, since they have a decent return policy, I would order, see how it looks, and check out a tailor to get it to fit perfectly!! I think most people have their dresses tailored a bit anyway, and the J Crew dresses seem a bit more simple, and proably cheaper/easier to alter.

Check it out - I hope it works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results