shape
carat
color
clarity

Jared "Peerless" vs "Whiteflash Expert Selection"

tarams9

Rough_Rock
I had posted the other day w/specs on the 2 diamonds I seem to be narrowed down to. They both seem to be so close that I'm having difficulty deciding & am wondering if the fact that one was a "Jared Peerless" & the other a "Whiteflash Expert Selection" makes any difference?

Whiteflash's http://pics.whiteflash.com/jewelry/thumbnail.ashx?itemcode=ci_ags-104046740059.jpg&type=certhouse
with an HCA of 1.9

Jared's http://agslab.com/reportTypes/pdqd.php?StoneID=7077808&Weight=0.745&D=1
with an HCA of 1.0

When it comes down to it, which do I choose?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Its easier to tell with pictures and idealoscopes. Whiteflash's Expert Selection diamonds should have pictures and Idealoscope images. I think Jared's Peerless diamonds also have the same Gemex Light Performance Report that GoG runs on some of their diamonds. Some find that helpful.

The Peerless is the top of the line cut at Jared's while the Expert Selection is the second tier of diamond cut for Whiteflash. That doesn't mean that the Peerless has a better cut of course and the premium for a Peerless diamond is rather high but its something to keep in mind.

Bottom line is that the pictures and idealoscopes will tell you more.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
That link doesnt seem to be working so I'll attach here.

jp.jpg

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
from the numbers jared's one seems to be better. but i've seen few post where people would never want to deal with them again so if you are thinking about possible future upgrade option whiteflash has an excellent police for it and it is something to put into consideration for such purchase.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
are they the same price? I'd go with whiteflash over Jared's any day personally. Plus if you are not in TX you don't pay tax with WF so that is a savings there.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
The Gemex report on the Peerless looks really good - I haven't dealt with Jared's though so I don't know what their customer service is like.

The Whiteflash looks good too and its probably less expensive but the page says it's sold? Hope you decided to go for it if so.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
They're both "resale" diamonds - so yes the Whiteflash is sold. Whiteflash offers so much more info on their site for their stones yet the Jared is a true H&A, better clarity, & better HCA score. So Im so confused! And I think pricewise I'm looking at maybe a $900 difference with the Jared diamond being more expensive.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The HCA is a dichotomous tool, so both score equally on that measure.

Both are AGS0. Equal.

Both are equally well cut IMO. Have you seen a hearts and arrows image for the jared stone? Without that as proof of H&A, I would not pay for the label.

Have you talked to the original vendors and will they honour their policies for these stones if you buy them from another person (I assume that is what you mean by "resale"... you are buying from a private seller?)

Clarity is the only real difference.

Have you seen them? Is thr SI1 eye clean to your standards? What price is the seller actually asking for each stone?

tarams9

Rough_Rock
Considering all things are equal, Whiteflash has a wondeful trade in policy, I dont believe Jared does trade ins, and I have not asked if I would be eligible as a second buyer.

I haven't seen either in person yet & they are from different sellers so a side by side comparison is out. I am trying to go by the AGS plot maps and the inclusions are are also very similar. A slightly longer cloud in the SI1 than the VS2 - the SI1 is viewable on Whiteflashes website (actual diamond w/magnification).

The Si1 is priced around $2400, the VS2 around $2900; the Si1 seems to have more flexibility.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tarams9|1308164527|2946801 said:
Considering all things are equal, Whiteflash has a wondeful trade in policy, I dont believe Jared does trade ins, and I have not asked if I would be eligible as a second buyer.

I haven't seen either in person yet & they are from different sellers so a side by side comparison is out. I am trying to go by the AGS plot maps and the inclusions are are also very similar. A slightly longer cloud in the SI1 than the VS2 - the SI1 is viewable on Whiteflashes website (actual diamond w/magnification).

The Si1 is priced around $2400, the VS2 around $2900; the Si1 seems to have more flexibility.

Whiteflash does not sell diamonds in the SI range that are not technically eye clean. from what I have seen.

You cannot use clarity plots to judge inclusions -- they are not calibrated to indicate eye visibility, they are just 2D maps saying where a particular inclusion is located.

I would call WF and see if their policies will hold if you buy the stone and have all the appropriate paperwork.

I like the WF stone personally. Seeing the images online is a real bonus. The price is lower. Both asking prices seem fair for the secondary market. Can you make the sale contingent on an appraisal to verify that the stones match their respective lab reports and have no damage?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One plus for the WF stone is that it is larger than the Jared's stone. I would choose the WF stone 100% over the other as long as it is completely eyeclean.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply! Whiteflashes IS slightly bigger, & they note on their site that it IS eye clean, and it IS the cheaper ring, so it very well may be the one. The other side is better clarity & a true H&A....lol

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what being on 'resale' means. Are individuals selling these stones or are they businesses?

I second Dreamer's opinion about asking each seller to send their stone to an appraiser just to make sure the stones are the ones they advertise.

You can possibly get the stones sent to an appraiser near you who will allow you to view each stone in person.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
LOL - yes, that's the one I've been posting about & hope to buy :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tarams9|1308246269|2947594 said:
LOL - yes, that's the one I've been posting about & hope to buy :)

You are outed now ;)) I was not sure based on the price you listed. I think it is a great deal, you did not mention it includes a setting! That setting is the same as mine but with pave on the shank. It is really beautiful and retails around $700 or so. Between the setting and the ACA melee and the lower price, it is now a no brainer for me, buy the WF one.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
Yes, now I'll hope someone else doesn't buy it! He has it listed on Craigslist for $2400 so that's the price I used. I didn't mention either of the settings because I wasn't crazy about them - I wish that one was set higher.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
nfowife|1308159271|2946703 said:
are they the same price? I'd go with whiteflash over Jared's any day personally. Plus if you are not in TX you don't pay tax with WF so that is a savings there.

Same. I'd for sure go for the WF stone. It'll be an amazing stone (the ES I owned looked as good as my two ACAs ;-)

Also, no sales tax IS a major plus.

In addition, I have to say, I'd never buy from Jared's. They're a great place to window shop since their Peerless collection includes well-cut diamonds, but while I was in there, the sales people lied to me multiple times (said I'd be fine going from and paying the SAME price for an ideal cut SI stone I had found online to an excellent cut I1 :nono: ). They also insulted my WF ACA earrings! One of the people helping me was the manager (she stepped in as soon as I brought up comparing online to in-store prices!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tarams9|1308246973|2947608 said:
Yes, now I'll hope someone else doesn't buy it! He has it listed on Craigslist for $2400 so that's the price I used. I didn't mention either of the settings because I wasn't crazy about them - I wish that one was set higher.

I find it to be a nice height. I would call it medium, definitely not low. The images are perhaps misleading.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion! Only having pics to go by does make it if difficult to judge.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
So much for all that work. Seems thre Whiteflash folks on here decided to offer to buy it back.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
So much for Whiteflash's "reputation". I guess let this be a lesson to anyone out there shopping, not to post their details here since the "pros" on here just might sabotage ya!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tarams9|1308335945|2948529 said:
So much for Whiteflash's "reputation". I guess let this be a lesson to anyone out there shopping, not to post their details here since the "pros" on here just might sabotage ya!

In fairness, Whiteflash has a standard buyback policy that the seller could have used -- 70% of purchase price -- so it is not so strange that they bought it back.

But that sucks for you! Lurkers of all sorts buy stones out from under posters all the time.

And thanks for the compliment on my ring, I love it.

tarams9

Rough_Rock
The seller didn't go to Whiteflash, they went to him - based on these posts. And they're paying more than 70%.

I want to see yours set!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
tarams9|1308337125|2948548 said:
The seller didn't go to Whiteflash, they went to him - based on these posts. And they're paying more than 70%.

Intersting! Well good for the seller, that is a good deal for him. Bad for you of course, but I don't see this as anything horrid on WF's part frankly. Like I said, posting on PS is risky because lurkers very often buy stones mentioned if the original posted dallies at all ;))

Sorry, you want to see mine set? Do you mean my diamond? If you go through my thread my rings are on page 6 or so.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
tarams9

Can you get a look at the other diamond? I understand some people have had bad experiences with Jared but if you're buying on the re-sale market you shouldn't be dealing with Jared's anyway.

It looks promising. You can always reject it once you see it but I'd take a look first before rejecting it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results