shape
carat
color
clarity

Japan and wedding rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I"ve seen a couple japanese movies and it looks like people are wearing their wedding bands on their right hand instead of the left. Is that the custom? And why?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ummm...I am not sure about Japan but many in Europe and in South America wear their wedding rings on their right hands as well. I was watching a documentary and the husband and wife more theirs on the middle finger of their right hand. I don''t think the middle finger is a custom but just something they chose to do.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do we wear them on the left hand?! It''s convention for where we live.

I haven''t been to Japan but yes, in Europe, everyone wears their rings on the right hand.
34.gif

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
In Contential Europe the wedding band is typically worn on the right ring finger.

In England, where I live, the wedding band is typically worn on the left ring finger (same as Canada and US).

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 7:03:13 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Why do we wear them on the left hand?! It''s convention for where we live.

I haven''t been to Japan but yes, in Europe, everyone wears their rings on the right hand.
34.gif

The left hand custom started because it was the thought that the vein in that finger on your left hand went straight to your heart.

I''ll have to do some looking!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
yes, I believe that the left hand vein to your heart custom began in Egypt.

Not to hijack the thread--but I have always wondered why of all the muscles and organs, the heart is associated with love.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 11:25:47 AM
Author:devientdrow
I''ve seen a couple japanese movies and it looks like people are wearing their wedding bands on their right hand instead of the left. Is that the custom? And why?
Ummmm...I don''t think so.I never see any of my friend wearing wedding band on right hand.
we wear wedding band same as USA.
maybe it''s RHR?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 12:52:14 AM
Author: Fancy605
yes, I believe that the left hand vein to your heart custom began in Egypt.

Not to hijack the thread--but I have always wondered why of all the muscles and organs, the heart is associated with love.
That''s another western one--in some languages (sorry I can''t remember which is which off the top of my head and I''m too lazy too look it up right now) emotions come from the bowels.
4.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
my DH wears his on his right hand. just tradition for his family.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 2:42:53 AM
Author: flower12

Date: 9/3/2006 11:25:47 AM
Author:devientdrow
I''ve seen a couple japanese movies and it looks like people are wearing their wedding bands on their right hand instead of the left. Is that the custom? And why?
Ummmm...I don''t think so.I never see any of my friend wearing wedding band on right hand.
we wear wedding band same as USA.
maybe it''s RHR?
Really? Thanks for chiming in! I thought it was wedding rings because it looked like she was wearing a solitaire with a band. But some people layer rings anyway and all that.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 9:20:58 AM
Author: pinkflamingo
my DH wears his on his right hand. just tradition for his family.
Really? Are they from the US? If you don''t mind me asking is the family custom part of his nationality?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I lived in Colombia all the women wore their wedding rings on their right hand so I don''t think it is individual.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
It is not a Japanese custom that I nor my mother is aware of.

She, like her sisters, and aunts etc. all wear their wedding rings on the left.

Do you think it could be an anniversary band that they were wearing on the Right Hand???

Have a good day.
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to Wikipedia:
"The choice of finger relates to traditions purportedly dating to classical times, from an early usage reportedly referring to the fourth finger of the left hand as containing the vena amoris or "vein of love"[1]. At least in part due to this tradition, it became acceptable to wear the wedding ring on this finger. By wearing rings on the fourth finger of their left hands, a married couple symbolically declares their eternal love for each other. This has now become a matter of tradition and etiquette.

In many Western cultures, the wedding ring is worn on the left hand. In some countries such as Germany and Chile, however, it is worn on the right hand. Also in Spain it is worn right, except by Catalan people (left). Orthodox Christians, Eastern Europeans and Jews also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand. In The Netherlands, Catholic people wear it left, all others right. But in Austria Catholic people wear it right. Greek people, many being Orthodox Christians, also wear the wedding rings on the right hand in keeping with Greek tradition. A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom. The Latin word for left is "sinistra", a word that evolved into the English "sinister". The Latin word for right is "dexter", a word that evolved into "dexterity". Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one."

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
We have a young girl from Osaka staying with us for a few months, and she, too, said they wear their wedding rings on the left hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results