shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen & Pricescope

Broheimian

Rough_Rock
Premium
Since James Allen is arguably one of the bigger places online I thought I would post a current review after receiving an engagement ring today. I hope this helps someone, especially other Australians as it can be daunting ordering something from the other side of the world worth so much money.

So I am obsessive. I research things until my brain hurts. I tried local (Australian) jewellers, and looked everywhere online. I settled on James Allen purely based on the fact they had a large selection and I could view the diamonds. After selecting one, Pricescope helped me realise it wasnt very symmetrical (@Tree Scientist in particular). so James Allen was patient and let me change diamonds 3 times, settings twice, and I even had it resized before it shipped after working out my girlfriends exact size. Pricescope really helped me out here and I got something that was fantastic so thanks to all.

Payment was a hiccup, but not James Allens fault. I did a wire transfer to get the discount, but sending money internationally was a joke. My bank stuffed up, then James Allens bank stuffed up and I started freaking out about thousands of dollars adrift somewhere. It did get sorted but was the hardest part. I recommend using some kind of larger online money transfer company so do your research. My bank made a breakfast of it and delayed everything by at least a week or more.

Shipping to Western Australia took 5 days, including a weekend. This is lightening fast. I cant even get local mail that quick so kudos to Fedex Intl Priority and James Allen for using them.

Packaging was nice, but not great. The box I may change since its a bit clunky. All the documents and larger box were quite nice though. The box from Fedex is plain and had it delivered to my office and no one was aware of what it was.

The customs process is seamless. I had a call from Fedex, confirmed the item, and paid GST only (no duty due to the USA and Australia free trade agreement) + a brokerage fee which would work out to $50ish AUD.

Overall my money went a lot further, even with GST. I got a diamond that was bigger and better than anything local for the same price and James Allen chat feature was handy given the time difference. Pricescope also played a big part in ensuring I got the quality of the diamond I wanted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results