shape
carat
color
clarity

J to an L

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J VS2 2.17 AGS0.
For 3,000. i could trade up to a 3.36 L VS2 GiA It has a score of 2.8 on the HCA. Table 59, Depth 61.7 Crown 35 and Pav. 41

What would you do? Do you think the L would be yellow? The J faces up very white and sparkles like crazy.

The L has very strong blue Flo.- very exciting to me!

Thoughts anyone?

What would you do?????

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 10:17:12 AM
Author:peppermintpatty
I have a J VS2 2.17 AGS0.
For 3,000. i could trade up to a 3.36 L VS2 GiA It has a score of 2.8 on the HCA. Table 59, Depth 61.7 Crown 35 and Pav. 41

What would you do? Do you think the L would be yellow? The J faces up very white and sparkles like crazy.

The L has very strong blue Flo.- very exciting to me!

Thoughts anyone?

What would you do?????

Thanks!
I have an L of similar size, it isn't yellow but it can look warm from the side and face up in some lights. If you don't mind that the diamond will not be ICY WHITE and the bit of warmth you can see at times is something you will embrace then fine. But I would really want to see an ASET or Idealscope image for that angle combo before proceeding further. The SB fluorescence could be a bonus in helping the diamond face up a little whiter. Is it possible you could view some similar size and lab graded L colour in person?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
L happens to be my favorite color stone! You will see some body color at certain angles, even with the fluoro. It depends on if that is okay with you, and how you decide to mount it. If you're asking "would I do it?" then hands down YES!!

edited to add: I was speaking of color only. In regards to measurements, I prefer a smaller table. Get an ASET and Idealscope, and go from there.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I bet you are wondering if I ever stop trading up!

I will have to have my jeweler get it in. She is in another state. I have no hope of an Aset or anything else. May I ask what concerns you about the angle?

More info. med. - slthck girdle. Polish and sym both VG. Clouds not shown and internal graining not shown.
9.57x9.59x5.91

Sorry, thats all I''ve got.

The warmth of my J is fine. I only see very slight warmth from the side, never face up. It is a sparkler as I have said. I''m not sure I could be happy with the L if it faces up warm. I just spent a lot of money on the Michael b wedding set ( 3 rings total). If it faced up at all warm, I think I''d want a james Meyer setting. In all honesty I am not sure I am ready to let go of my Michael b. If the L faces up fairly white, I''d keep it in the Michael b. I don''t need icy white, I just don''t want yellow!
Thanks!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 10:34:08 AM
Author: peppermintpatty
I bet you are wondering if I ever stop trading up!

I will have to have my jeweler get it in. She is in another state. I have no hope of an Aset or anything else. May I ask what concerns you about the angle?

More info. med. - slthck girdle. Polish and sym both VG. Clouds not shown and internal graining not shown.
9.57x9.59x5.91

Sorry, thats all I've got.

The warmth of my J is fine. I only see very slight warmth from the side, never face up. It is a sparkler as I have said. I'm not sure I could be happy with the L if it faces up warm. I just spent a lot of money on the Michael b wedding set ( 3 rings total). If it faced up at all warm, I think I'd want a james Meyer setting. In all honesty I am not sure I am ready to let go of my Michael b. If the L faces up fairly white, I'd keep it in the Michael b. I don't need icy white, I just don't want yellow!
Thanks!!!
Of course!

The 35/41 angle combo is around what we call the steep deep zone. As GIA round the numbers it isn't possible to tell without images if there will be resultant light leakage or not which can be a side effect of these angles. If the numbers are rounded in a shallower direction then the diamond could be perfectly fine, steeper and there could be leakage which can affect beauty and performance. ASET or Idealscope images would be very useful to get a better idea.

If you are unsure then it might be best if you could view some L colour in person.....There is a video out from GOG on colour which I will post for you, bear in mind this is only a guide as colour sensitivity varies as do computer monitors with showing colour.

http://vimeo.com/3288695

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! As always you are wonderful!

i did know that GIA rounds the numbers, I wasn''t aware though that those angles can mean a steep deep. I do know I don''t want a steep deep. I think since I can''t get an Aset or anything else I will probably pass. I would of course love to have a bigger diamond, but mine is so beautiful, I don''t want a bigger size for less beauty. I am always looking. That''s how I found what I currently have. I will keep my eyes open.

Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it and you very much!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 10:47:44 AM
Thanks Lorelei! As always you are wonderful!

i did know that GIA rounds the numbers, I wasn''t aware though that those angles can mean a steep deep. I do know I don''t want a steep deep. I think since I can''t get an Aset or anything else I will probably pass. I would of course love to have a bigger diamond, but mine is so beautiful, I don''t want a bigger size for less beauty. I am always looking. That''s how I found what I currently have. I will keep my eyes open.

Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it and you very much!!!
You are very kind, thank you! I try to help!
12.gif
The angle combo can swing one way or the other and without images we can''t tell....It could be fine or it could show leakage...Can you see it in person or have it sent to an independant appraiser so they could give you an opinion on the cut etc? You could view it there also to see how you like it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to be a dissenter and suggest you don''t do it. Even if the cut were great, I probably wouldn''t go down to an L for my main engagement ring. I would consider staying at the J range though, but in big diamonds an L in my personal opinion is going to be a great deal warmer than a J. If it were a RHR though I''d say do it!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I wear an L OEC. It''s about 1.6 or 1.7 carats, so not nearly as big as the one you''re considering, and it''s noticeably warm in many kinds of lighting. I like it, but I expect your stone will be even warmer because it''s so much bigger.

Will you like the color? The only way to tell is to see it for yourself.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:14:51 PM
Author: glitterata
I wear an L OEC. It''s about 1.6 or 1.7 carats, so not nearly as big as the one you''re considering, and it''s noticeably warm in many kinds of lighting. I like it, but I expect your stone will be even warmer because it''s so much bigger.

Will you like the color? The only way to tell is to see it for yourself.
I searched for your OEC Glitterata and its a gorgeous colour! I love all your rings. You are very blessed to have such wonderful diamonds
30.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Maisie! I feel very lucky that I get to wear my grandmothers'' rings.

The L is warmer in real life than it looks in the pictures, but I do love it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 5:29:26 PM
Thank you, Maisie! I feel very lucky that I get to wear my grandmothers'' rings.

Thats all that matters really.
1.gif
That you love it. I think we can give our opinions about colour but ultimately its down to the person to see what they like and don''t.

I think it was Lorelei that described the L and lower colours as antique white. i think thats a great description!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 3:55:20 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''m going to be a dissenter and suggest you don''t do it. Even if the cut were great, I probably wouldn''t go down to an L for my main engagement ring. I would consider staying at the J range though, but in big diamonds an L in my personal opinion is going to be a great deal warmer than a J. If it were a RHR though I''d say do it!
Ditto. I sort of like lower colors in antique stones, but I''d keep that J stone in the Michael B set. You''d have to have the e-ring head remade to hold a 3 carat stone, too. Unless you live in NYC or Beverly Hills, I think 2.17 is really big! Plus, it is AGS0 and I wouldn''t sacrifice cut for size and lower color.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two color grades down from a J to an L would almost certainly show some color I'm thinking. If you were going from an E to a G that would be a different story.

The bigger size could be tempting but you have a very well cut stone that you love right now in a mounting that you love. I'd hate to see you let it go for something that you didn't love! You do have a good sized stone so bigger in this case might not be better.

BTW - we need some pictures of your current set! Sounds gorgeous!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinions- I greatly appreciate them all.

I am taking your advice and staying put where I am at. I am finally happy with my ring, the size was just so appealing with the L diamond.

It took me years to get to the diamond I am at so I am going to listen to you and I guess the little voice inside my head wasn''t really sure, or I wouldn''t have had to ask.

I am going to the jeweler to get my rings cleaned very soon and will take pictures. I know i am way behind on doing this.
I tried to post pictures of my last diamond (FIC no less!) and they were too big. When I am ready to post, I may need some help.

Thanks again. Sometime I need help saving me from myself!!!!! Thankgoodness for pricescope!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 5:49:33 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 3/5/2009 5:29:26 PM

Thats all that matters really.
1.gif
That you love it. I think we can give our opinions about colour but ultimately its down to the person to see what they like and don''t.

I think it was Lorelei that described the L and lower colours as antique white. i think thats a great description!
Thank you!!
12.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 9:11:05 PM
Thank you everyone for your opinions- I greatly appreciate them all.

I am taking your advice and staying put where I am at. I am finally happy with my ring, the size was just so appealing with the L diamond.

It took me years to get to the diamond I am at so I am going to listen to you and I guess the little voice inside my head wasn''t really sure, or I wouldn''t have had to ask.

I am going to the jeweler to get my rings cleaned very soon and will take pictures. I know i am way behind on doing this.
I tried to post pictures of my last diamond (FIC no less!) and they were too big. When I am ready to post, I may need some help.

Thanks again. Sometime I need help saving me from myself!!!!! Thankgoodness for pricescope!!!!!
Good decision! I would rather see you stay where you are than go for one you have doubts about, especially one with a borderline angle combo that we can''t evaluate to see how the diamond actually will behave.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results