shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO, what's the ideal age for you to become a grandparent?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife retired at 56 and was sitting at home for 2 yrs waiting to be a grandma, then all of sudden within 2 yrs we have 3 grandkids. Now every time when my wife opens her mouth is all about the grandkids. She babysits all 3 grandkids from M-F of each week.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My current feelings are that I'd much prefer being a grandparent than a parent...

Early 30s and the motherly urge has yet to kick in. I always assumed it would one day, and yet here we are!

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really have any feelings on this. I feel at 42 I'm too young to even think of it. Some of my friends aren't even finish having kids yet. One of my friend became a grandma at 40. She had her daughter at 16 and her daughter had a daughter at 24. Oooof. Thank goodness it wasn't me. Lol

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't think about it at all.

cheers--Sharon

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We married late and then waited a few years to have our daughter. At age 25, she seems to be following my example, focused on her own personal and career development. She's just not ready for more at this point, but that may change; it did for me.

Consequently, I'm not holding my breath about grandchildren. If we ever have them, fine; if not, that is okay, too. I really want her to live her best life, whatever it is.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I have zero desire to be a grandparent, or even a dad.
My parents should NOT have had any kids.
IMO, crappy parents usually pass on their crap and make crappy kids, who grow up to be crappy adults. ... who subsequently raise more crappy kids ... over and over and over ... :knockout:

Fortunately for my non-existent kids, I get this.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if only good people with good parents reproduced?

We have to pass a test to drive a car, but any ignint sh!thead can fk like dogs in an alley and produce a most unfortunate baby. :nono:

I completly agree with you Kenny
Im doing the world more than one favour not breeding

(so ill enjoy rides in our gas guzzler thank you very much and I'll be enjoying plenty of meat and dairy while im at it)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think bad parents always have bad kids. My soon to be daughter in law had a horrible family life and she is the most wonderful person, smart and caring. She is currently a nanny for a couple of doctors and she will be a wonderful mother some day. Sometimes kids from horrible backgrounds are determined to be different and they become wonderful people.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ideally we would have loved to be grandparents in our early/mid fifties because we figured we’d have lots of energy to keep up with little ones. It didn’t happen then but our first grandchild arrived when we were 61/60. She is 17 months old now and we have been raising her since she was two months old. That was not part of our life plan . She just lights up every day and we can’t imagine our life without her. Our second little grandchild is a month old today.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I’m 62 and we have 6 kids ages 23-33. No grandkids and I don’t miss them. I’m sure I will love them IF I have them.
The right age would be when our kids decide they are ready-their choice entirely.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
53! That is what I am and we just had our first last month. We married young and our sons are 30 and 27. It’s actually the younger one who married his college sweetheart last summer and just had a son. They live 10 minutes away and our son works for my husband so we see them all the time. They both were college athletes, have good jobs and have traveled and were as ready to have kids as anyone can be. We are looking forward to babysitting, going to sports games etc.
Our parents both raised us with what I like to call benign neglect and now our relationships are cordial but not close. It’s very different with our sons and it’s really special to see your child with their own child.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our DS is 39 this year, our DIL 34 and they just got married in January. They know we have no expectations of grandchildren, it’s their lives and whatever they decide is fine with us. We don’t take it for granted that they want or can have children so certainly wouldn’t put any pressure on them to do so for our sake.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our DS is 39 this year, our DIL 34 and they just got married in January. They know we have no expectations of grandchildren, it’s their lives and whatever they decide is fine with us. We don’t take it for granted that they want or can have children so certainly wouldn’t put any pressure on them to do so for our sake.

@Austina that is what makes you and Colin awesome parents and in laws.

From the other (child's) perspective I have to say I am supremely grateful to my parents. They never put pressure on us to get married or have children. They only wish for us that we are happy and live our lives on our terms. For that I will always be thankful because I know that is not a given. I know many do not have that kind of unconditional support we had and still have. I will never take that for granted.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well said @Austina ! I didn’t reply to this post for the same reason. DD likely will not have children, being a career woman first and foremost. DS and his wife want a puppy first! I’ll happily be a fur grandma!
I’m completely on board with anything they decide regarding having or not having children.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I mean, I guess. They're only in their teens at this point. There's a lot of living to be had between now and then.
It's not really up to me and I'm perfectly okay with that. I would never have any expectations on what they decide for their lives- it would go against how I raised them in the first place.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Considering I only became a father two years ago I haven't really thought about that much, but I'm guessing around 60 years old. At this point I wouldn't say it's something I want, I'm still working out this whole fatherhood thing :saint:

Hopefully by that age I'm not a crippled mess :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results