shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO, what's the ideal age for you to become a grandparent?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you wanna be a grandparent someday? Are there such thing as grandparent hunger?

Most our close friends have adult children in their 30's but they aren't marry yet. They are waiting to become grandparents before they get too old. We became grandparents in our late 50's.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
My girls aren’t teenagers yet and I hope they are at least 30 before they get married and have kids. I’m in my 40s now so I’d hope to be in my mid 60s at least. If not older. I want time to enjoy being without the responsibilities and expense of dealing with my own children before I’m expected to start babysitting anyone else’s!

When I’m ancient enough to want to be at home a lot and not live abroad or travel all the time - then I will need some grandkids as entertainment I suppose. But I will be charging by the hour for childcare services ;-)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not interested.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My mom became a grandma at 52 and she was young, spunky and could run after my kids' bikes while they were learning to ride. She had me in her early 20's though.

I would hope to be still in my 50's when I become a grandma (I'm 48 now), but I doubt either of my kids will be having kids in the next 10-12 years, so the chances of that are slim to none.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to be a grandma in my early 50's since I had four of my five kids before I turned 30. Didn't happen though. My grandson turns 5 this month and we are both 61.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
50's sound good, I became a first time grandma 17 months ago, I was 58 when she was born...bad thing about the 50's is I am still working and don't spend alot of time with her, they live about 40 mins away and I work till 1-2 pm every day, my daughter in law works till 4-5 pm so we for the most part only see her on the weekends

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not invested in having grandchildren. We were older parents so I’m not really expecting to meet any until I’m well in my 60’s, if at all. My own mother was desperate to be a grandmother, it almost seemed like a validation of her own decision to have children. To answer the question in general, round about 60 is a good time, you’ve probably retired, or are maybe working less and have more time to help out.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think mid to late 50s would be a good age for me. However, my daughter is still single and not sure she wants children. It bothered me at first, but when I really thought it through, I realized I was being selfish. I just want her to live a wonderful, happy, fulfilled life.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I'm only 41 but I would love to be a grandparent someday. I think the odds of it ever happening are slim to none though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it happens then great but ideally not for a while. I’m 42, our oldest son is 14. Hopefully I’ll be well past 50 before I need to think about it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided I do not want any children when I was 18, and never regretted that decision.

DK :))

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I hope my daughter lives her life to the full before or IF she has children.

I was 35 (nearly 36) when I had her & my parents were in there 70’s when she came along. I never had any pressure put on me by family to have children. My only sister doesn’t have children.
They are happy to have a grandchild though.

Who knows.... she may never want any and the choice will be hers.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Other half has a teenage son. I have no particular interest in whether or not he eventually decides to have a child. As long as we do not become de-facto childcare on a daily basis, I have no position on it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason, I dont really care. I think maybe knowing how hard it is to raise kids makes me think that I'm completely
fine with whatever my kids decide to do. I'll at least be in my 60's before I do get any grandkids. I'm ok with that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wish is to (at least) live long enough to see all our grandkids graduate from college, hopefully wife and I will still be here to attend all their weddings.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
My life goal is to be a grandparent. It will mean I had healthy kids, such that they are healthy enough to have their own. And that I am healthy enough to be alive to have grandkids. At best, probably won't be until I'm in my 70s, since I'm in my late 30s and no kids yet.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say 55 but I don’t think I will have any by that age as none of mine have significant others. With the pandemic, no one is dating, so I can’t even get one by accident.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to be a grandma in my early 50's since I had four of my five kids before I turned 30. Didn't happen though. My grandson turns 5 this month and we are both 61.
That's a good age (56) to become a grandparent :))

I wanna be young enough and have enough energy to play ball with my grandkids.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m 47 and DD is 22. She has no intentions of procreating right now. But she does want to so I think I will be at an ideal age if it does happen. My oldest siblings are pushing 60 and have Lost hope bc their kids don’t care to procreate. My mom is 82 and will likely not be a great- grandmother. Such is life. Best laid plans and all of that.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I became Grammie at 54. I was having heart failure the day she was born thinking I was way too young. My grandmother looked 70 at 54. Now I’m 62 in two weeks and have 3.75 grandkids. I wish it had happened when I was younger. I babysit all the time and I’m very involved. I love them to pieces! I hope to live long enough to see them get married.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont have or want kids so i can only speak as a grandchild
My grandparents delayed getting married due to the depression so my grandma was 30 when she got married and my mother was the last of 3 children and then as the first generation with access to the pill my parents didn't start a family till they had financial security, dad had a good job, the morgage was half paid etc etc so mum was 29 when i was born
Both my grandparents on mum's side only lived till 72
so i only got to be a wee kiddie with my grandma and grandad
I have older cousins who were able to enjoy more of their time but grandma had a stroke and also had altzimers so i mainly remember going to visit her at the nuns' nursing home
My sister is 5 years younger and has even less memories of them
but my grandma and grandad were the best ever and i love them still

my parents never dumped us on to them for babysitting, it was always quality family time spent together

My grandad told the best stories and my grandma fixed every childhod problem with a kiss, a bandaid and a chocolate biscuit (cookie)
I wish i had had more time with them but i was about 10 when they both died in the same year
my grandma kind of woke up and realized grandad was gone and she went too

My dad's mum and dad had both died before i was born (we don't have the longevity gene)
Its not fare my grandma died when dad was only 15 or that his dad was an alcoholic

Anyway i envy peeps who get to know their grandparents as adults
Spent time with them
ring them right now
Tell them you love them because they wont be here for ever
Dont put off spending time with them and talking about 'their day' and the history of your family

Q

Queenie60

When the time is right, it will happen! I am 60, my oldest child is 27 and youngest 23. Younger (daughter) will most likely have children, not sure about oldest (son) - it's in God's plans - I'll sit back and wait, hoping for a grandchild one day.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother loved being a grandma and my nephew adored her
It sucks altzimers took her before my neice could get to know her

i know my dad would have loved being a grandad. He very much enjoyed the company of my older cousin's young families

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ideal age for someone to become a grandparent is when their grandchild arrives into the world. :)

My grandma was 50 when I was born and grandpa was 51.
I was lucky to have many years with them despite my grandma dying too young.
I had 26 amazing years with my grandma and 38 wonderful years with my grandpa.
I wish everyone could have many decades with their grandparents.

grandmaandgrandpa.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 6.46.41 AM.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
For me, ideally the day I retire, which will be between 59 and 62. How fun is it being a grandparent when I don't have a lot of spare time to spend with grandbabies, especially if my kids end up on opposite ends of the country? I want to be the fabulous jet setting grandma who exposes grandkids to new cultures and experiences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I have zero desire to be a grandparent, or even a dad.
My parents should NOT have had any kids.
IMO, crappy parents usually pass on their crap and make crappy kids, who grow up to be crappy adults. ... who subsequently raise more crappy kids ... over and over and over ... :knockout:

Fortunately for my non-existent kids, I get this.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if only good people with good parents reproduced?

We have to pass a test to drive a car, but any ignint sh!thead can fk like dogs in an alley and produce a most unfortunate baby. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results