shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO...what college degree will give you...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the most bang for the buck?.. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many variables - it depends on the location of the school, whether it is a public or private university, whether it is an Ivy League school, whether you mean payback in terms of salary only, etc. I can tell DF is just waiting to brew up a storm today. :bigsmile:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1363633757|3407965 said:

I don't think it really matters as almost 70% people are in a different fields then their degree is from. My undergrad is in aviation. I work for a Fortune 100 company that has nothing to do with aviation.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Speaking for my children, I will say that an accounting degree will give you a shot at a pretty decent living wage. Every company needs one and you cannot out source. Pharmacy is another. Around here, jobs start at $75,000 a year.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Life is not about money. It's about happiness. And if you are unhappy at your job/career no matter how much money you make, you aren't going to be happy period.

I think the best bang for buck is listening to your children, not just what they say, but listening to who they really are and observing what makes them happy. Are they creative? Analytical? What are their interests?

And then go from there to help them understand what careers are out there. I was raised on the "doctor, lawyer, engineer" only model. You had to be one of these to be considered 'successful' and honestly its a terrible model. I should have been allowed to go to culinary school, get my PhD and teach, or any of a 100 things in the artistic creative world that would have made me happier. But I wasn't, and so too with many of my peers.

I have found peace NOW. But that's because I have a good boss, and am valued. And my job is one I am good at. But it's not what I am passionate about, or really... interested it.

You have to be dedicated, ambitious, and disciplined usually to be a success at most endeavors. Those are qualities that parents should try to instill in their children if they want success. That plus passion and interest to me means success. It's not a matter of your "major" in college, or your master's degree. Those are tools. What you need is all the other stuff FIRST. The skills, the work ethic and the interest.

Life is about happiness, passion, fulfillment. I'm not saying security and financial stability aren't important. But they are part of the puzzle. Not the puzzle itself. For just about every interest there is a way to make good money doing something.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Nice to see you, Gypsy. You are always very insightful. I just wanted to add that for my children (3rd one is on the pre-med track) they showed apptitute in these fields (accounting, chemistry, biology) so it was a perfect fit. My son loves his job, and my two girls are enjoying their course work.

But you are right. 40+ years is a long time to be stuck in a field you are unhappy with. However, with the price of college today, I can see why some parents do push, especially if they are helping to pay for it. The last thing you want to see is your child graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and no prospect of a job or one with a living wage.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
From a financial perspective - an English/Anthropology double major with a minor in Spanish helped me land a good job in a totally unrelated field. I'm doing well for myself for sure.

However, I don't want to spend the rest of my life measuring my success on my paycheck or dreading work. So I'm trying to find a middle ground - something I am interested in and passionate about and that will pay me so that I can live comfortably, even if it doesn't mean being able to lead the kind of life I thought I should lead. I want a career that excites me, and I'm currently begging grad schools to let me pay them a lot of money to help me reach that goal.

I will probably never be a millionaire, and I don't want to barely scrape by. But if I can be in the middle of the pack financially and get a lot of satisfaction out of my career and have a good home life, I'll have knocked it out of the park.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said it perfectly!

Go for what makes you happy. Also, the happier you are WORKING, the quicker you get to pay off your loans!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice to see you too ruby and thank you!

Hi Pinto! Thank you too!

Ruby, I am happy your kids are happy in their chosen paths. That's what matters ultimately. I would have, tried to, and should have taken a different path, but my mother was afraid. Of so many things. Mostly of being a parent, I think. And understanding what that means.

I think that parents have a very hard job. But ultimately parents are guardians, and their job is to guide. Not to live their children's lives for them. Past a certain age guide stops meaning "making decisions for" and becomes "being an adviser to" and that's a hard transition. And getting the timing right, learning to trust your kids enough to shift your perspective to partner with them and help them make their own decisions is very hard. And then then again adjusting at some point to understand that partnership ends as they come into their own as adults and your role becomes observer and supporter only. In many ways you go from being dictator to partner to bystander.

There are MANY kids that go into the 'right' majors, get the 'right degree' and are ultimately unhappy or unsuccessful because they don't have the interest, the passion, or the work ethic.

Asking strangers on an internet board what the 'right path is' is the wrong place to start. The right place to start is with your kids. And their interest.

So the question shouldn't be .. what college degree will give you bang for buck, in general.

The question should be... "these are my kids interests and his/her skills are... what types of careers are options for him/her that I can present her with?"

And then when you have the input, the next step is to sit down WITH your kids and do the research TOGETHER to find out what educational background is preferred for those jobs, what it will take to get that education and what schools are preferred for it and what they cost, then look at how much those jobs make and what that means for their financial futures. When you help them make educated decisions in their own future, that makes them invested in their own success, and empowers them and also teaches them the skills they need to make those decisions, one day, on their own and without you as they will need to.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1363636374|3408000 said:
Life is not about money. It's about happiness. And if you are unhappy at your job/career no matter how much money you make, you aren't going to be happy period.

I TOTALLY agree with Gypsy on this. I was an editor for about 9 months after completing my English degree, and hated it. I had very little interaction with people, and I didn't feel like I was really helping anybody. My library science degree wasn't cheap, but now I do love my job and it has meaning. I will add, though, that my English degree has been helpful, because I can communicate clearly and succinctly, and am often asked to edit my boss's writing. ;))

The people I know who have skills in computer software and web coding have some of the best paying jobs with the lowest degree requirement, just a B.A. in computer science or computer engineering, and wham, $65k+ for an entry-level position.

The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a good source for this type of information:

Here for highest paying jobs: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/highest-paying.htm

Here for for the occupation finder (pick degree, type of training needed, projected number of jobs, job growth rate, and median pay as of 2010: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/occupation-finder.htm

I think it's important to look at job growth and number of jobs. That's one reason I usually dissuade people from going into librarian careers, because jobs are tough to come by. The prediction back in the early 2000s was that a lot of librarians would be retiring within 10 years, but then the recession happened, and people didn't retire en masse as expected.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
A medical degree is definitely high paying.

It's also incredibly difficult, extremely tiring and involves an almost impossible sacrifice of personal time, family time and social interaction.

It's also very rewarding. There is no doubt about that. I consider myself truly privileged to be able to help people in such an immediate, visceral way.

I'm glad I did it, but AS GOD IS MY WITNESS if I knew what I know now as a 17 year old, I would have run away screaming. I spend a great deal of time counselling young folk about the REALITY of studying medicine and how obtaining a basic medical degree is the EASIEST part of being a doctor.

Life is NOT about money. I've taken a huge pay hit by going on sabbatical. Do I regret it? HELL NO :cheeky:

Will I be a better, more rested, more compassionate doctor when I go back to work (hopefully part time)? HELL YES :sun:

mogster

Shiny_Rock
If I had to guess, I would say accounting or a technical degree. While happiness is important, I think it's necessary to balance that with job prospects and financial stability. I have a few friends who have graduate degrees in fields that they love, but are now unable to find employment. Also, you can work in a field that you love, but still be miserable because your employer/workplace/coworkers are insufferable.

D

Deactivated member 42515

**** degree!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="rubybeth|1363638087|
The people I know who have skills in computer software and web coding have some of the best paying jobs with the lowest degree requirement, just a B.A. in computer science or computer engineering, and wham, $65k+ for an entry-level position.

[/quote]

yup, in 80's those were the best bang for the money invested but may not be nowadays?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mogster|1363644822|3408100 said:
Also, you can work in a field that you love, but still be miserable because your employer/workplace/coworkers are insufferable.

This is very true. I used to think I hated my job path. I don't. I resent that I wasn't allowed to pursue the paths I was most interested in and suited for when I was younger. But when it comes to what I actually do, i don't hate it at all, I just hated the environments I worked in. I'm quite happy in this position at this company now, with the boss I have.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1363636374|3408000 said:
but happiness does not pay my bills.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1363635797|3407996 said:
Speaking for my children, I will say that an accounting degree will give you a shot at a pretty decent living wage. Every company needs one and you cannot out source. Pharmacy is another. Around here, jobs start at $75,000 a year.

As someone in pharmacy, I would NOT recommend that at this point. There are more and more pop-up private schools that are not accredited that are simply flooding the market with additional not nearly as qualified graduates. Add this to the fact that the demand for pharmacy jobs with the retirement of most of the baby-boomer pharmacist generation has already been filled and the job market is quickly becoming saturated in major cities, especially in states with many pharmacy schools already.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1363650575|3408175 said:

As someone in pharmacy, I would NOT recommend that at this point. There are more and more pop-up private schools that are not accredited that are simply flooding the market with additional not nearly as qualified graduates. Add this to the fact that the demand for pharmacy jobs with the retirement of most of the baby-boomer pharmacist generation has already been filled and the job market is quickly becoming saturated in major cities, especially in states with many pharmacy schools already.
why not? never met an unemployed pharmacist yet.there are at least 3 CVS + 3 Walgreens within 1 mile from where i live.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1363651701|3408193 said:

why not? never met an unemployed pharmacist yet.there are at least 3 CVS + 3 Walgreens within 1 mile from where i live.

I wish I could say that many people who have jobs already are safe. Not necessarily the case though. The university hospital just fired (or supposedly "rearranged") 9 pharmacists on staff there. They were all recent graduates. Last hired, first hired so they said. Then, there are the huge mergers between the PBMs and accordingly, their mail order facilities. A lot of jobs lost there. Many of my classmates who graduated last year or the year before had to pursue residencies at small medical facilities in towns far away or look hard for a job at a CVS or Walgreens in a small town. 4 years ago, everyone got signing bonuses and there was no question on whether you would have a job or not, it was more "how much more can you pay me than the guy across the street?" Now it is a much more competitive market for new grads.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="pandabee|1363652103|
I wish I could say that many people who have jobs already are safe. Not necessarily the case though. The university hospital just fired (or supposedly "rearranged") 9 pharmacists on staff there. They were all recent graduates. Last hired, first hired so they said. Then, there are the huge mergers between the PBMs and accordingly, their mail order facilities. A lot of jobs lost there. Many of my classmates who graduated last year or the year before had to pursue residencies at small medical facilities in towns far away or look hard for a job at a CVS or Walgreens in a small town. 4 years ago, everyone got signing bonuses and there was no question on whether you would have a job or not, it was more "how much more can you pay me than the guy across the street?" Now it is a much more competitive market for new grads.[/quote]

then they should move here (Sacto,Ca.) b/c i see a new CVS or Walgreens grand opening every week.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Sounds like where I live. On every corner there is a CVS, PriceRite, and Walgreens. Target and Walmart have inhouse pharmacies. So does our supermarket Stop and Shop. Then there are the independents like Phred's Drugs. And many of the medical buildings have their own inhouse pharmacies. We have a wondeful state college where you can take the 7 year pharmacy course and be in good position for a job with great pay.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1363646753|3408116 said:
[quote="rubybeth|1363638087|

yup, in 80's those were the best bang for the money invested but may not be nowadays?

I was born in 1981, so I wouldn't know about the job market in the 1980s! :cheeky: I know a few guys in their 20s who completed degrees in those fields in the last 3-5 years and are now making at least that much, if not more. Even if you had a degree in, I dunno, ancient Renaissance languages, but had a lot of experience coding in the most popular coding languages, you'd still probably be hired. Mechanical engineering would be another good option. I have a family member who has a bachelor's in mechanical engineering and she probably makes more than I do, just working part-time.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1363654029|3408225 said:

Sounds like where I live. On every corner there is a CVS, PriceRite, and Walgreens. Target and Walmart have inhouse pharmacies. So does our supermarket Stop and Shop. Then there are the independents like Phred's Drugs. And many of the medical buildings have their own inhouse pharmacies. We have a wondeful state college where you can take the 7 year pharmacy course and be in good position for a job with great pay.

It is like that where I live too. But numerically, there just aren't 910 (130 students x 7 schools) new positions being created in the state each year. There are obviously other fields of pharmacy other than your corner drug store or the hospital but there are obviously not as many positions in those specialties. I will say that I also go to a state school and it is one of the more reputable ones in the state, so I am not as worried about graduating as I would be if I went to one of the newer, less established schools.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I just feel the need to clarify this perception that these jobs are *always* in demand, as recently pharmacists frequently show up on the top 10 jobs for women, or top 10 medical jobs, etc etc. Obviously society needs pharmacists like it needs doctors, but the huge demand for pharmacists has slowed down from 5-10 years ago, as I have already explained.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
YT|1363645191|3408103 said:
**** degree!

Why is everything about sex??? I'm sorry, but that's just gross.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1363633757|3407965 said:

I think a medical degree (for those that are doing it for the right reasons) can be the most rewarding but it's also very demanding and a very high stress level job. I agree 100% with Gypsy, I think parents (that do a good job) have the hardest job but also the most rewarding.

from a business stand point, getting a BS in Business is something that can be very versatile...After 6 years of thinking, I really wanted to be a doctor, but I cannot stand blood and all the gruesome things that you face as a doctor so I decided to go for a BS in Business Administration and then will go for my MBA so I can eventually be a hospital administrator. I have always wanted to work in a hospital and so this made the most sense to me. But it really depends on the person. Honestly, if you're not doing something you love and you're at a job you hate and you show others how much you hate your job, it seems like a waste of time to me.

Malbec54

Shiny_Rock
Depends ---neither of my parents have a degree, nor their parents before them, yet all of them were/are very successful.
My sister and I were the first to get our Bachelor's and we both worked our way through school and went to a big 10 University. We have a comfortable existence, but we aren't killing it.
I believe that there's more involved ---it includes your work ethic, how you present yourself, and whether or not you have half a brain.

Not sure what the best bang for the buck would be. My fiancé doesn't have a degree and makes my yearly salary in four months. What does that say about having a degree....and he's in an industry that's growing and won't be extinct for a long time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1363659018|3408293 said:
**** degree!

try it you might like it... :wink2:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1363662359|3408324 said:
04diamond<3|1363659018|3408293 said:
**** degree!

try it you might like it... :wink2:

Very funny. I believe people that constantly have to post about stuff like this do so because they don't get any and this is the most excitement they're going to get. I happen to be married, but my sex life is between me and DH. I get it's a running joke between you two, but I think it's gross. I thought this thread was about serious, or important things. Not about more whore crap.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results