shape
carat
color
clarity

I've got the rock, but I need help with the setting!

drduncan

Rough_Rock
Hi all - very new, naive boy here from Australia who has lurked on this site for a fair while gathering inspiration for a ring for the to-be-fiance if all goes to plan...and I am in need of some help, which only PS can provide!

I have purchased the centre diamond already, it's 1.25ct round cut light fancy yellow and it looks real darn nice. I got David from DBL to get it via broker that James Allen must of been using because it was listed on their site and David price matched it for me as I was getting them to do the setting.

I have opted for DBL's 'uber' halo setting with hand micropave but in terms of colour schemes, David is calling me on Monday and I need to work some things out!

The ring recipient has told me the following over time
1. She loves yellow diamonds
2. She loves yellow gold
3. She loves the halo looks
4. She only likes the hand micro pave look (not with the cookie-cutter sites to each paved stone)

My predicament is how to achieve a colour combo that will blow her away without either a) having to much contrast or b) having to much yellow
Here are my ideas

1. Light yellow centre diamond, yellow gold halo with clear diamonds in halo + a platinum shank with clear diamond micropave
This is how I visualise it to look in terms of colours - http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-diamond-ring-212ct-w-x-vs2-radiant-cut-gia-diamond-halo-split-shank-ring-r4316

2. Light yellow centre diamond, yellow gold halo with light yellow diamonds in halo and clear diamond micropave in a platinum shank

3. Light yellow centre diamonds with clear diamonds in halo and in micropave with an all yellow gold setting

I thought I always wanted option 1, but I don't like the intense contrast between more vivid fancy yellow rocks and the clear halo and am not sure how different the light yellow centre stone will be in this regard

PLEASE do share your thoughts on this, and ANY photos that can help me work this one out. I want this ring to be amazing, I'm giving everything I have to get this ring made so I want so desperately for it to be perfect.

Thanks
DrDuncan

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a photo of the diamond you've purchased? Given the same light yellow material, RBs are generally faceted to reduce light path length - which means effectively returning "whiter" light than other shapes (like radiants).

I don't know what you mean by #4 in your list of the recipient's preferences.

I would definitely recommend setting the center in a YG basket with YG prongs/bezel. I don't love the idea of the light yellow halo for a round stone and white shank - to my eyes the design of the halo and the design of the shank should feature continuity in colour. I much prefer either of these:
A) Light yellow center set in YG, halo and shank both platinum with white diamond pave
B) Light yellow center set in YG, halo and shank both YG with white diamond pave (single cuts are pricey but might look fabulous here - are they an option?)

Light yellow pave in both the halo and the shank could be spectacular, but you mentioned you're concerned about having too much yellow...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-gobby-new-fcd-ring-from-dbl.208587/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-gobby-new-fcd-ring-from-dbl.208587/[/URL]

David is fantastic to work with and I trust his eye for colour implicitly - he won't lead you astray ::)

drduncan

Rough_Rock
Here is picture of the central diamond.

5ofeiq.jpg

I think potentially it is light enough to not overkill the contrast by having clear diamonds in the halo, but it also might be light enough that an all yellow halo/pave could work but who knows!
Having a YG halo and shank with clear diamonds then the central yellow diamond could look nice

In regards to having a yellow halo and then the platinum shank, this ring was my inspiration - and it also demonstrates the type of pave my partner has told me she likes.

2jf0ni9.jpg

David is calling me first thing in the morning to try and talk me through some options - but all input is appreciated because I am over my head for sure ha

drduncan

Rough_Rock
Update after speaking to David

OK so I'm in 2 totally different minds about this final step after speaking to David today. Here are the 2 options he put to me as the best for what I'm after

1. Use yellow gold for the shank and the halo, with light yellow diamonds in the halo and the pave (remembering the diamond is quite a light yellow so this will help with both pop and the illusion of a much greater size)

2. Using yellow gold for the shank with light yellow pave and a rose gold halo with light pink diamond halo and then 24k yellow gold prongs to help just a little more pop out of the centre diamond

Here are 2 photos as an attempted example, but obviously size and quality of the build are different - with the pink halo shown below being exactly the setting I am getting from David...it's just a matter of choosing if that Halo is pink or yellow!

2hxa9ep.jpg

or

333uxvr.jpg

I am leaning towards the matching yellow halo at the moment - it just looks lovely!
But in saying that, the pink breaks things up just a little...I just don't know how classic and timeless it is.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference is the all yellow version vs the pink halo. While it's beautiful, I don't know I would want that every day, be it to coordinate other pieces with, or because perhaps I might look back in a few years and find it a touch "trendy". The all yellow option just has a rich, delicious appeal to me.

Just my $0.02. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are both beautiful!

I think it depends what you are trying to accomplish.

1 Pink halo...brings out the yellow of the center stone
2 All yellow halo...makes center stone look larger

I think the pink halo option is more interesting to look at. How big is your center stone? If it is not that larger compared to
what family and friends wear then you may want to go with a yellow halo to put the emphasize on size.

My personal choice would be the pink halo. I love the contrast. I would go in all gold metal.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely a white diamond halo to accentuate the color of the center stone. Some people do a thin yellow diamond halo to make the center look larger and then a white diamond outer halo which is very beautiful, too. I would not do a pink halo and I would not do all yellow center and halo.

Not the best pic but here is an example of the double halo:

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0123.html

drduncan

Rough_Rock
The stone I'm getting is the exact same size as the one in the photo with the pink halo.
Loving the ideas and explanations, things I don't think of ha

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont like rose gold with the yellow for some reason. I think what I would do: Yellow gold for the halo, yellow diamonds in the halo. And then either yellow gold/white diamonds for the shank or plat/white gold and white diamonds for the shank.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm also not a fan of the pink, too confusing and subtle for my taste. I love the design, DBL does amazing work. Halo in bright white or matching-yellow is my pick. Great choice!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I prefer white halos or yellow diamond halo. The pink seems more like a novelty rather than an everyday ring. I think if you do a white diamond halo it will make the diamond pop more (color) whereas yellow diamond halo will appear larger. It really depends on your and her preference.

drduncan

Rough_Rock
After more talk With David we both concluded doing the halo and the pave in light yellow and the entire ring in yellow gold will achieve 2 things
1. Make the centre stone look larger from arms length, but add intricate detail upon closer inspection
2. Establish continuity between the centre diamond and the entirety of the ring itself

The girl it's for is in love with champagne coloured diamond so I don't want the yellow to become intense at all, it's all about subtle colour here, and I personally don't like a white halo hence I was looking at the pink halo as it was softer contrast.
I also know that we both love the idea of a tight halo packed with diamonds so that there is minimal gaps anywhere for the metal to be seen. The metal is purely to aid with the colour of the diamonds...and because she loves yellow gold haha

I was in love with the idea of a pink halo but so many valid points as to why it's not the greatest idea despite its beauty.
I am so happy to be working with David, and that I paid the extra to get the Uber halo setting through DBL because it looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in person in a few weeks once it's been made and the diamonds mounted.

I'll be back to post photos for sure!

njblinger

Rough_Rock
If you like the look of pink diamonds, perhaps you can consider an eternity band made of pink diamonds to go with the e-ring?

drduncan

Rough_Rock
The ring is in the setting room as we speak and should be completed early next week.
Can't wait to get some amazing photos to share!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
A beautiful diamond but if

'The girl it's for is in love with champagne coloured diamonds'

why are you not going the champagne route :wall:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1425028088|3838937 said:
She also loves yellow diamonds - that"s the #1 in his very first post.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1425038637|3838990 said:
Sphene|1425028088|3838937 said:
She also loves yellow diamonds - that"s the #1 in his very first post.

Yes she loves yellow but he said shes IN love with champagne diamonds

I am the same I am in love with whiskey hued diamonds it just seems to go with every color you wear
yellow would always be second choice seems awful when wearing certain colors (pink, orange etc)

But I guess if your in love an wish to marry any color diamond will loved in the end

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Definitely a double halo, inner Yellow diamond halo on YG, outer white diamond halo on platinum. Shank is white diamonds on platinum. Will look stunning.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1425039923|3838994 said:
Yes she loves yellow but he said shes IN love with champagne diamonds
I am the same I am in love with whiskey hued diamonds it just seems to go with every color you wear
yellow would always be second choice seems awful when wearing certain colors (pink, orange etc)
But I guess if your in love an wish to marry any color diamond will loved in the end
I have no idea why you are so confident that you are the same as his fiancée, and therefore, she too will consider the choice of stone, made weeks ago, to be a distant second because it looks "awful" with, e.g., orange.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
I like your original option 3 for many reasons. This gives her everything she wants.

!. Use all yellow gold. Not everyone likes mixing gold colors and this is a safe bet because you already know she likes yellow gold. I would not add rose gold if you are not certain that she likes it.
2. While she loves yellow diamonds I don't know if she had in mind for all of the diamonds to be yellow. I think making all of the small diamonds white will show off the yellow center diamond the best.
3. If you do go with an all gold setting and the center diamond is yellow too then you need some white diamonds to break up the whole yellow scenario.
4. I don't like the idea of halo being white gold and the shank being yellow gold because I feel that all of the small diamonds should look uniform and the different colors of gold might throw that off. Also once again she might not like mixed gold colors.

SeeingSunshine

Rough_Rock
drduncan|1423032931|3827062 said:
After more talk With David we both concluded doing the halo and the pave in light yellow and the entire ring in yellow gold will achieve 2 things
1. Make the centre stone look larger from arms length, but add intricate detail upon closer inspection
2. Establish continuity between the centre diamond and the entirety of the ring itself

Love this decision, I think it will look beautiful! Can't wait to see it!

drduncan

Rough_Rock
SO to clarify the yellow diamond I have bought is such a light yellow that it is close to a C2-C2 champagne...and if it's not, its half way between yellow and champagne so best of both worlds! It's such a lovely gentle colour, you can see in the photos, and the yellow gold setting will help it achieve just enough saturation if my imagination is slightly accurate ha

I so wanted to initially go down the yellow/champagne vs clear diamond contrast but yes in the end decided to go with all matching coloured diamonds...just like the pink halo would of been magical but I'm all about timelessness when it comes to lifelong jewelry (makes sense right?)

Today (Monday) US time is the day I am expecting photos from David so hopefully all is on schedule and I'll have magic to share with you all.
I'll admit, I am actually still quite nervous in regards to how it's going to look because I've worked off my own concept, input from david, input form PS users and other people....yet have no photo of exactly what I am getting done. The bonus of that, if this ring works out as I imagine (which it will!) then it'll be like nothing anyone (around here) will have making it that much more special.

drduncan

Rough_Rock
Ladies and gentlemen....here it is

image_3157.jpg image_3156.jpg image_3155.jpg

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is absolutely stunning :love: !!!! You must be thrilled with the outcome!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shoot! Ita beautiful and a nice twist on a classic.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!! That is truly beautiful -- she will be blown away! CONGRATS to you!! :appl:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
This is incredible!!! I love it in every way!!! Classic yet still unique. Awesome! :love:

drduncan

Rough_Rock
It's amazing I think!
What's everyone's thoughts on the gallery/cutlet area. It looks semi closed but still open, it doesn't make a huge difference but just seeking opinion

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drduncan|1425942080|3844550 said:
It's amazing I think!
What's everyone's thoughts on the gallery/cutlet area. It looks semi closed but still open, it doesn't make a huge difference but just seeking opinion

It seems to be bringing out the yellow in the stone, which is why its there, so I like that it was added.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Looks great. The halo is done perfectly and I think you nailed all of her wants. Well done. Beautiful ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results