shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve got some mixed feelings (work related)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
So few of you know that I mentioned my work has offered a voluntary layoff package to workers here due to the fiscal year/economy. They are finding out not many are applying for this package and now they will start to do involuntary layoffs come March, May and September. I guess they are going to evaluate positions and who they want to lay off from different offices. It wont be based on senority, or who''s got a bad situation right now. So I''m not really sure ultimately what they will base their choices off of. And of course I''m freaked out to death about it because I was laid off from my previous job last June due to the fiscal year. So of course I can''t help but feel paranoid. I''ve only been here since September...

Now onto the next part: I''m a graphic designer and there are 2 of us plus my boss. Now my one co-worker (let''s call her M) is 50 and going to college to become a psychologist so that she can retire from being a graphic designer and start her own practice. So she doesn''t intend on working here for a whole lot many more years. I think she has 2 years to go before she graduates with her degree.

So...this morning M and I were alone and she told me she is considering the voluntary layoff package. (by the way, not everyone that applies will be accepted) She told me she was discussing it with her husband and he tells her that if they accept her if she applies (she would have to leave)...someone in our office is expendable...meaning, they would probably lay ONE of us off in the following months. If they reject her application, then we all might be safe. She feels that if she doesn''t take the package...it might be ME that would go and she doesn''t know how she could do that to me when she plans on changing careers and she knows how I want to get my life going.

That''s so very sweet of her (I love her to death) but I told her she can''t do that on my behalf but she said she isn''t. (Though she pretty much told me that would be part of her decision.)

I don''t really know what I''m trying to say here. It isn''t a vent, or a "what do I do" thread. I guess I just needed to get it out until I can talk to FF and my family about it! lol I guess I just don''t know if I should leave our conversation at that or say something else. I mean, I DON''T want to leave this place. But I don''t want her to leave either! lol

I told her I''d hate to see her go but on the other hand, we all might end up being gone in the long run. I don''t know.....she''s so sweet and she reminds me of my Mom a bit. lol Maybe that''s my problem...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Icky, DG. I wouldn''t like to be in that situation either.

You feel bad no matter what happens. I guess all you can really do is do what is best for you, and she can do what''s best for her.

Sorry no advice (even though you weren''t looking for any!) but yeah... you can''t feel bad about someone else''s decision. She''ll do whats best for her, too. NO one is that selfless that they''d give up a job they desperately need to save someone else.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:34:00 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Icky, DG. I wouldn't like to be in that situation either.

You feel bad no matter what happens. I guess all you can really do is do what is best for you, and she can do what's best for her.

Sorry no advice (even though you weren't looking for any!) but yeah... you can't feel bad about someone else's decision. She'll do whats best for her, too. NO one is that selfless that they'd give up a job they desperately need to save someone else.
SOOO TRUE!

ETA: I think things are hitting hard everywhere, I know heads are rolling where I am at. I am sorry that you are going through this, and ***Dust that your job will be spared.***

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I hear you. She is going out of town and will talk to her husband more about what she should do. People applying for this have until next Friday so she will have to decide soon. Her husband has a good job and I can see how she could do that based on the fact that she wants to change careers. We don''t even know that they would accept her application, but I feel so greatful that she would help try and ''save'' me, but then sort of bad that she would leave if they accepted it.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. That woman is truely inspiring to try and help ''save'' you. I think it is so thoughtful that she is trying to put others ahead in these hard economic times. I don''t think there is really much else you can say to her. Ultimately, it is her decision either way. Just let things be and see how it goes. If they end up accepting her application and she leaves maybe you could just write her a letter to give her when she leaves thanking her. It''s not something you have to do or anything and it may not even affect you in the long run, but it could affect someone else. I know I would probably do it just to let her know how much her actions and thoughts mean to others.

I hope you get to keep your job. It makes me so upset to hear of everyone worrying about losing the jobs they do have.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Dreamgirl, I am so sorry to hear your company will be having involuntary lay-offs. It is so tough out there for everyone, it's just terrible! I hope that either way your job is safe! Your co-worker really sounds like a wonderful person. My advice would be to leave it at that one conversation with her. She will make the best decision for herself and that's the way it should be. Really, if she is looking to make a career transition, I cannot see how they will not accept her application, given that they are looking to reduce head count. And then she will do what she needs to do. One thing I would say, though, is that if she applies for voluntary lay-off and then doesn't accept the package, I think she will be just as likely as you if not more to be on the line for a forced lay-off if and when that time comes.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:23:11 PM
Author: Definitely, Maybe
Wow. That woman is truely inspiring to try and help ''save'' you. I think it is so thoughtful that she is trying to put others ahead in these hard economic times. I don''t think there is really much else you can say to her. Ultimately, it is her decision either way. Just let things be and see how it goes. If they end up accepting her application and she leaves maybe you could just write her a letter to give her when she leaves thanking her. It''s not something you have to do or anything and it may not even affect you in the long run, but it could affect someone else. I know I would probably do it just to let her know how much her actions and thoughts mean to others.

I hope you get to keep your job. It makes me so upset to hear of everyone worrying about losing the jobs they do have.
Thanks sweets! Your response means a lot! I agree and I want to keep it at her decision. That''s why I sort of don''t want to say too much and end up swaying her one way or the other. It is ultimately up to her...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:37:04 PM
Author: mscushion
Dreamgirl, I am so sorry to hear your company will be having involuntary lay-offs. It is so tough out there for everyone, it''s just terrible! I hope that either way your job is safe! Your co-worker really sounds like a wonderful person. My advice would be to leave it at that one conversation with her. She will make the best decision for herself and that''s the way it should be. Really, if she is looking to make a career transition, I cannot see how they will not accept her application, given that they are looking to reduce head count. And then she will do what she needs to do. One thing I would say, though, is that if she applies for voluntary lay-off and then doesn''t accept the package, I think she will be just as likely as you if not more to be on the line for a forced lay-off if and when that time comes.
Thank you. I agree with you. It sure is stressful though that I am factoring into her decision. She really is such a wonderful person.....uggh it''s crazy!!!

If she applies for it, it isn''t up to her to accept the package. They would be the ones to accept her application. She wouldn''t have a say in it after that point. Also, the thing she said to me about what her husband told her....is partly true and false. You see, the ''package'' does say that if you apply and aren''t accepted, that doesn''t save you from getting involuntarily laid off in the future...

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:51:46 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Date: 2/19/2009 5:37:04 PM
Thank you. I agree with you. It sure is stressful though that I am factoring into her decision. She really is such a wonderful person.....uggh it''s crazy!!!
If she applies for it, it isn''t up to her to accept the package. They would be the ones to accept her application. She wouldn''t have a say in it after that point. Also, the thing she said to me about what her husband told her....is partly true and false. You see, the ''package'' does say that if you apply and aren''t accepted, that doesn''t save you from getting involuntarily laid off in the future...

Dreamgirl, totally agree on how stressful it is to factor into her decision like that. I am sorry -- that is just added pressure on you that you do not need given the other economic insecurity.

PS -- I see what you''re saying there about her husband only being partly right; however, I do think that if they want to cut staff in your group her application would be an opportunity they probably would not want to pass up ... it''s not a guarantee of your job security, but I would think things look up if that happened. When my old company went through forced lay-offs a couple years ago, every group was forced to make cuts proportionate to the size of the group. Your department is extremely small and I would think the company will still need graphic design services!!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Very true! Thank you for the insight. It kind of helps put my mind to ease to hear what others think about this. I''ll surely keep you updated.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear that you are going through this *hugs*. I think ultimately though it is her decision to make, so try not to feel too bad about it. I hope that you both are spared.....sending lots of dust.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!
5.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
She sounds like a lovely woman. I hope for your sake she takes the package and you''re able to stay.

Considering your situation could go either way, have you considered freelancing? Maybe you should start looking for a solo gig just in case things don''t go the way you hope. At least then you''ll have another source of income to help while you find another spot.

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
I think I''d gratefully accept her offer for what it is - a life decision that she''s making for her herself. You may be involved in the thought process, but she''s not sacrificing herself or anything drastic like that. I was laid off this week but it didn''t hurt me much, because I was a lot like your coworker - switching careers and already in grad school. I don''t have any major obligations (kids, spouse, debt) and I was really the "best fit" for someone to get cut. I''m not bitter or upset and I don''t think your friend will be either - she seems pretty satisfied by her future career :) Good luck, and keep us updated.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Dream, I'll echo Hudson and say that freelancing might be something you should start looking into. I told you my SIL is a graphic designer. She's working for a company right now that not only puts an extreme amount of daily pressure on her (b/c she's the only GD there), but doesn't give her the support she needs. She is looking into doing freelancing to try to make some extra money for fear she might lose her job. I think she is even thinking about doing wedding invitations (something like that) on the side as an at-home business because she loves doing it and would like to eventually do it full-time. That, and the 'just incase' factor.

Hopefully everything will work out in your favor, but definitely keep your options open. (((HUGS)))

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thritto on the freelance!

I find that companies don''t necessarily understand the training, work, or effort that graphic designers, programmers, or IT people deal with. It seems like they take for granted all the work that you guys do, and let people go unnecessarily. For this reason, FF (who is doing programming AND graphic design for a company right now) always has little projects on the side in case something goes wrong. People are always in need of that sort of thing, so it''s usually not hard to find, and might make you feel more secure financially.

Plus, it gives you the opportunity to be more creative, as you don''t have the company''s needs or preferences weighing down on you.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies! I hear you on the freelancing thing but it isn''t so easy. I''ve tried that before and it''s really hard to find anyone that wants anything done...lol Perhaps I shall start charging you PS''ers for my design services?
31.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 11:40:20 AM
Author: news_girl
I think I''d gratefully accept her offer for what it is - a life decision that she''s making for her herself. You may be involved in the thought process, but she''s not sacrificing herself or anything drastic like that. I was laid off this week but it didn''t hurt me much, because I was a lot like your coworker - switching careers and already in grad school. I don''t have any major obligations (kids, spouse, debt) and I was really the ''best fit'' for someone to get cut. I''m not bitter or upset and I don''t think your friend will be either - she seems pretty satisfied by her future career :) Good luck, and keep us updated.
Sorry to hear about that! But it seems like it was best for you and you are ok with that. This seems a lot like M......I honestly think she''s going to try it...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nooooo DG! Don't charge!
39.gif

Then I'd be doomed to a life of ugly holiday PS avatars!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Last night before she left, she was talking to me more and she gave me a lot of reasons why she is considering it which really makes me think she will apply for it. I think I'll be surprised if she doesn't. Not sure how much she told our boss as they are VERY close. M has worked here for 10 years and they've known each other all that time.

She said her husband is behind the idea which she is surprised by. He also called her yesterday and told her he got a raise at his job. He figured it all out and said with that raise it would be a fourth of what she makes now. After taxes, she said they would only be out $1500 a year. She also said the benefits in this package are amazing. She said when she gets home she has to go to bed real early and doesn't always see her husband cause he comes home later and she has to go to bed early to get up early to come here. (She lives in the mountains so it's a long drive.) Then she said she thinks her husband is maybe wanting someone to be home when he gets home and make him dinner...etc...she said there are a lot of things she can't do now cause she works here. THEN she also told me "IF I apply and they don't accept...do I still stay?"
6.gif

Oh, I almost forgot...she didn't mention any reason on staying...I sort of think she has made her decision.

She will know on Tuesday...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:24:15 PM

Nooooo DG! Don''t charge!
39.gif

Then I''d be doomed to a life of ugly holiday PS avatars!
Hmmm.....that reminds me. I made one for you and it was animated. That''s gonna cost you. I''ll give you a break though since you are my friend...so $50 please
27.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:30:25 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 2/20/2009 12:24:15 PM

Nooooo DG! Don''t charge!
39.gif

Then I''d be doomed to a life of ugly holiday PS avatars!
Hmmm.....that reminds me. I made one for you and it was animated. That''s gonna cost you. I''ll give you a break though since you are my friend...so $50 please
27.gif
Sell out!
38.gif

2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:32:00 PM
Sell out!
38.gif

2.gif
hahahahahahaa
3.gif
3.gif
Hilarious! Hey....a girl's gotta survive somehow! ETA- if you weren't my friend, I'd charge you $350 so your getting a deal!
2.gif

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dream, so sorry to hear whats going on at your work. Your co-worker is very admirable for what she wants to do. I hope everything works out good for the both of you. Hopefully nobody from your dept needs to go. If she does indeed decide to opt for the package I hope she gets it if thats what she really wants. Like what I said hope everything works out for the both of you. (big hugs)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Heya, DG, that is a sucky situation but I think you should try to do your best to breathe easy knowing that you''ve done all you can do really. She''ll make the best decision for her--maybe her conscience wouldn''t let her sleep knowing it wouldn''t affect her nearly as much as it would affect someone else? She sounds like a lovely friend.
1.gif

As for your company, though, it doesn''t sound quite so lovely. So they need to lay people off, but they can refuse to lay off the people who want to be laid off, in favour of laying off people who *don''t* want to go? Er, I guess I could understand that as fine print on the off-chance an entire department all decided to go at once, but I hope they accept most if not all the applications they get...especially if they can then come around and lay you off later without the package. Bleh.
32.gif

I''m an unemployed graphic designer. In my area, there is CRAP for jobs! Even a lot of the people looking for freelancers are trying to jip them. It really makes me so angry...!! So angry I paint my anger out! ;-)

Graphic designers (good ones) should be paid a heck more, and all of those crappy ones out there that are spewing horrible designs and littering the world with their uneducated art- should be simply fired. That''s how I feel. I look at posters, art, ad''s.. and a lot are great, but then you see some that are HORRIBLE and you wonder how they got a job and how that piece was even accepted!!

I hope everything works out for you. Sadly, the GD position is cut in so many places, even though it should probably be some barnacle (sp) air-head somewhere else that should be let go.

:)

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. She submitted her form yesterday.....
40.gif
So I''ll keep you updated on what happens next. Oh, the drama!!!
32.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:58:04 PM
Author: swedish bean
I''m an unemployed graphic designer. In my area, there is CRAP for jobs! Even a lot of the people looking for freelancers are trying to jip them. It really makes me so angry...!! So angry I paint my anger out! ;-)

Graphic designers (good ones) should be paid a heck more, and all of those crappy ones out there that are spewing horrible designs and littering the world with their uneducated art- should be simply fired. That''s how I feel. I look at posters, art, ad''s.. and a lot are great, but then you see some that are HORRIBLE and you wonder how they got a job and how that piece was even accepted!!

I hope everything works out for you. Sadly, the GD position is cut in so many places, even though it should probably be some barnacle (sp) air-head somewhere else that should be let go.

:)

lol sometimes crappy graphics happens. im a graphic designer and i was making a baby announcement for a friend the other day and the text was looking really crappy for some reason in photoshop...maybe it was just my computer but it just didnt look good
38.gif
however, my friend thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, i just didnt charge her for it though, im still mad about that text lol

with that said, i cant find a job in colorado either. hey dreamgirl if in the future they have a job opening youll have to let me know, maybe we could be work buddies haha, i only have to drive 25 minutes into downtown :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results