shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s done !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
The ring is done, I just got it back from Simayof yesterday. Here are some pics that I took last night and this morning. It doesn't really do it any justice. I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow so when I get back, I'll post more pics in the Show me the ring section.
appl.gif

DSCN0086.JPG

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
OMG! How beautiful!
1.gif
love.gif
love.gif

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
almost forgot... it's a 1.3 VVS1 G with 10 side princess cut channal .5 tcw

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
I can't help it. two more pics

DSCN0089.JPG

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
Last one I promise.
tongue.gif

DSCN0080.JPG

Aprile

Rough_Rock
Simply stunning! I am new so can't wait to find out if this is an e-ring, an upgrade or ??. Whatever the occassion, I sincerely mean it when I say breathtaking! Conrats! And enjoy HI!

aprile
lickout.gif

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
Thanks Aprile,

It's a e-ring and I'm gonna propose on Sunday in Hawaii. Decided to pop the question 2 weeks ago so it was a mad rush to buy the diamond, find a setting, get it made, all in 2 weeks.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, please don't forget to let us know how the proposal went upon returning.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!! Amazing setting!
1.gif
Good luck and that thing is STUNNING. Prompted me of course to take some more pix of my ring. I think I have like 100 now. It's a sickness. Have fun!

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone...

I'll post updates when I get back.

Jimmy

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Good luck, Jimmy! I hope everything goes well.

That is one beautiful ring! And you take amazing pics. If you don't mind, could you tell us what camera you use?

Hopeful96

Rough_Rock
To JustLooking.

First off, I have to apologize for resurrecting this old thread, but I just came by this website today in search of information and advice on how to buy an engagement ring. I'm in the Bay Area and have been reading with great interest threads on 2 particular retailers, Derco and Simayof. This was the only one I could find that actually had anything in the way of pictures and I was so impressed with the ring that you got, so a big hearty congratulations!

[1.] With that said, would it be too much to ask if you could give me a roundabout idea on how much you spent on that ring/diamond? I am on a very strict budget and would like to get an idea on what I can expect to pay for that size/quality combination. Hopefully you are still participating or reading the letters in this forum. If not, does anybody out there have an idea?

[2.] Also, a few names were thrown about with regards to getting an appraisal. As a newbie, is it somehow possible to get an appraisal first before purchasing the ring or do I have purchase it first and have it appraised next? What if the ring turns out to be lesser in worth than what it was sold for based on the appraisal?

[3.] Also, any good recommendations for an insurance company once I've made the purchase?

~~~

So many more questions, mostly with regards to the purchase process, such as how to look at both the ring and the diamond since I obviously don't have a trained eye, but I thought I'd start with these first just so I can get them out of the way and then later, concentrate on learning how to look at the ring in it's entirety.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get out here! This is a wonderful place to gather information and advice.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopeful--you may get more responses if you post your own thread, but here are some answers to your questions:

Can't really be of help on Question #1 but know you probably will spend more buying offline than online, B&M dealers usually have to mark up the stones more in order to pay for higher offline overhead, etc. A general # for something like a very well cut 1c G VS or similar type stone online would be around $6000-6500. Offline at a B&M, maybe more along the lines of $7500 depending on the B&M. If you are talking a branded stone like a HOF or Tiffany, its about 40% more..so maybe around $10-11k.

For an appraisal in the Bayarea, would suggest Nancy Stacey in Walnut Creek, we used her and she is great. You really can't get an appraisal before purchase from a B&M, and if they try to give you their 'in store' appraisal information, don't take it. Get an independent external appraisal from someone who is not related at all to the purchase or the store. The appraisal will happen after purchase and ideally you get a return policy from whoever you buy the stone from. Don't ever buy a stone or ring without a return policy. Chances are very slim to none if you go with a reputable dealer of your appraisal coming back less than what you paid. In fact it usually is more. Be sure to tell your appraiser you want a realistic number, not inflated for retail. It will be better for insurance purposes.

Lastly, I use Chubb for insurance, but many people insure through their homeowners policy, or use something like a State Farm or something similar.

Good luck. Just do your research and take your time and you will end up with a great stone for a great price I am sure. Shop smart!!
1.gif

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,
Although you can't get a diamond appraised before purchase at a B&M, aren't there some online vendors who will send the diamond to an appraiser before he purchases the stone?

Hopeful96

Rough_Rock
Thank you so very much Mara! It is with your help along with the numerous others who contribute to these forums that help educate novices such as myself, and information and guidance is always very welcome!

Call me old fashioned or paranoid, but for major purchases such as this, I would spend the extra money to go to a b&m store than to put up with the doubt and anxiety that purchasing online may inflict. I realize that there are several praises to the savings advantages of purchasing online, but I would sleep better at night knowing that I can always go over to the store where I purchased it to either return it or have it repaired if something was wrong with the item. Of course, that comfort is only available for a short period of time and is subject to the sellers terms and conditions of the return policy and warranty, but it's well worth it to me.

I greatly appreciate the referral of your appraiser and as luck would have it, I reside next door to Walnut Creek, so more time saved right there.

I have read a small portion of your numerous postings and came across an interesting thread about Derco Jewelers at the SF GCJM at Brannan Street. While I can inquire about the retailers return policy (with regards to your suggestion about checking up on that before buying any jewelry), would you also happen to know about how I can inquire about the reputation of these jewelers/retailers? I can try the BBB and search through numerous other forums, but am curious to find out if there is one agency or authority out there that specializes in tracking the business practices and ethics of these establishments.

Again thanks for all of your help! It is very gratly appreciated!

Hopeful96

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Roxy--yes thanks for pointing that out...if hopeful were to purchase online, many online vendors will send the stone out for independent appraisal with the sale contingent upon satisfactory results. But offline...nahh.
2.gif

Hopeful--unfortunately I don't think there is any one repository where you could find out how good a company's reputation is. Honestly I think Pricescope is an excellent place to post asking that very question, also DiamondTalk.com tends to have alot of people on it as well, so you may also post your question on a certain vendor or store there and see if people have anything to say.

I would just post in as many places as possible to get as much information as possible. I also think alot of the experts in the industry can say one way or another how good a store is from info they have as well. Oh and also run an advanced search here on Pricescope for topics (or names of B&M stores) that interest you. There are many posts in the archive...lots of info out there.

Good luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results