shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s Diamond Time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MIKES3

Rough_Rock
I'll be proposing to my girlfriend in the next 3-4 months. I have the ring and band picked out as a package deal. I know she'll love it. I've attached a picture of it. The one you see is 18k white gold. I'm trying to get it as 14k white gold. We shall see.

Now for the diamond. She likes the cushion style diamond. I think it would look flawless with this ring. I'd like to be at 1k on the stone. I've been reading that if purchasing a cushion it should be colorless, so I am looking for something around a D to a G. The clarity can be an SI1 or a VS2. I'd like the diamond to be a more square shape as opposed to rectangle. As far as cut goes I want to be between very good and Ideal. What would be a decent length/width ratio.

I'd like to around $3000 give or take.

I'm trying to find a diamond thats a decent match from what I explained above at that price range. Is it doable?

ring24566638791252.jpg

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock

Could ya stretch it all the way up to $4700ish (if paid by bankwire)?

27.gif
If so, this one looks like it'd be pretty:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5469/

gog5469.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:08:01 PM
Author:MIKES3
Now for the diamond. She likes the cushion style diamond. I think it would look flawless with this ring. I'd like to be at 1k on the stone. I've been reading that if purchasing a cushion it should be colorless, so I am looking for something around a D to a G. The clarity can be an SI1 or a VS2. I'd like the diamond to be a more square shape as opposed to rectangle. As far as cut goes I want to be between very good and Ideal. What would be a decent length/width ratio.

I'd like to around $3000 give or take.
Can you clarify - do you want to spend $1000 or $3000?

Or by "1k" did you mean "1ct/carat?"

If so, it'll be tough to find a well-cut 1 carat cushion for under $3000. I just tried a quick search and they are out there, but cut quality will suffer to meet that price.

What about lowering the carat weight goal to .8-.9? Or upping your budget to $4000-4500?

MIKES3

Rough_Rock
Can you clarify - do you want to spend $1000 or $3000?

Or by "1k" did you mean "1ct/carat?"

If so, it''ll be tough to find a well-cut 1 carat cushion for under $3000. I just tried a quick search and they are out there, but cut quality will suffer to meet that price.

What about lowering the carat weight goal to .8-.9? Or upping your budget to $4000-4500?

I''m a knob. I dont know what I was doing when I wrote the 1k. I''m at work so I''m quick to draw. I dont want to go over $3500 on the diamond. The package deal on the band and engagement ring is not far off fromt he diamond price, so price is getting up there. However, I''m not a cheap person or a penny pincher, but I think $5k-6k on a ring @ 26 years old is qualified as a nice setup.

MIKES3

Rough_Rock
www.goldoldgold.com

That website is really high in price compared to what I have seen out there

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 10:28:59 AM
Author: MIKES3
www.goldoldgold.com

That website is really high in price compared to what I have seen out there
But you are buying blind from the ''out there'' with drop shippers, unless you can see in person and knows what to look for. That is cost that comes with the services and upgrade, buy back policies of GOG. You will have to decide how you want to use your $$.

MIKES3

Rough_Rock
But you are buying blind from the 'out there' with drop shippers, unless you can see in person and knows what to look for. That is cost that comes with the services and upgrade, buy back policies of GOG. You will have to decide how you want to use your $$.

Actually you're not buying blind. Diamonds on web policy is you pay for the diamond via bank wire or credit card. They ship it to you or jewler. You get it appraised by a jewler and figure out what you want to do from there. I've contacted the better business bureu about this website. Did my homework. My moms bought diamonds from them and they're 100% legit with outstanding policies.

If you buy from any web store you're buying blind no matter what paper work they have on line you can look it. IMO its not legit until you get the second opinion aka a jewler.

This is from there website

"Diamonds On Web also offers the following: Free Shipping, a 90 Days Return Policy and the ground-breaking and popular “See the Diamond Before You Pay” option. Be confident. Don't pay until you see the diamond at your door."

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:05:51 PM
Author: MIKES3

But you are buying blind from the ''out there'' with drop shippers, unless you can see in person and knows what to look for. That is cost that comes with the services and upgrade, buy back policies of GOG. You will have to decide how you want to use your $$.

Actually you''re not buying blind. Diamonds on web policy is you pay for the diamond via bank wire or credit card. They ship it to you or jewler. You get it appraised by a jewler and figure out what you want to do from there. I''ve contacted the better business bureu about this website. Did my homework. My moms bought diamonds from them and they''re 100% legit with outstanding policies.

If you buy from any web store you''re buying blind no matter what paper work they have on line you can look it. IMO its not legit until you get the second opinion aka a jewler.
I would encourage an appraisal by an *independent* appraiser, i.e. an experienced professional who does this for a living who is completely independent of your purchase, i.e. not a jeweler. YOu can find one of these by going to the resources tab, then appraisers, then your area.

GOG is not overpriced. You pay a very small premium for all of the additional services they provide, excellent pictures, information about the stone, incredible service and a lifetime trade in policy you can''t beat.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Judging by the elaborate setting, your ring is at least a 3.5-4mm wide. You'd need a performer of a cushion or have it overwhelmed by the setting. Cushion is one of the hardest cut to pick 'blind' online without at least the ASET images. That's why many PS'ers don't mind paying GoG's premium. Alternatively, speak to Mark T of ERD. They don't call him the Cushion Guy for nothing...
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results