shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s County Fair time...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone go to theirs? Is it just a small town/midwestern thing? My county''s is this week and I''m actually looking forward to going. Cotton candy, elephant ears, all things country, ha ha...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the county fairs!! Some of my greatest childhood and high school memories are from the county fair!! Another fun thing are the little town "festivals." First week of August the family and I will be driving 700 miles to go to the Sweet Corn Festival!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, we go to ours every year. I always went when I was a kid, and I have made DH go ever since we first started dating. Ours is not until August, but I am already excited about it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good *sigh of relief*....glad I''m not the only one! I really enjoy this kind of thing, I grew up going to the Fair every year and it''s just a nostalgic tradition now.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not so much, as we go to our state fair in Sacramento. That is the big one. There are so many things to do there and to see. We love it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve not been to it in years..the last time was when I ran for Fair Queen, like 15 years ago. This year it rained pretty much the whole 4 days anyway. And, our fair is so small. In August, a town about an hour away from us has their fair and it''s a week long event and people come from all over. Hoping to take the kids to that one!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we used to when I lived in another state. But not here as there seems to be some sort of incident every year and kinda scary.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
That''s where we spent boyfriend''s 40th birthday last Friday. Everyone was already going to be there so it just fit.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It''s always entertaining, in sooo many ways! We love checking out the "tooth to tatoo" ratio!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 4:46:42 PM
Author: Upgradable
It''s always entertaining, in sooo many ways! We love checking out the ''tooth to tatoo'' ratio!
The people-watching cannot be rivaled, for sure!

April20

Ideal_Rock
The one in my hometown is generally around Labor Day. They do a parade the week of (can''t remember which day it is). The parade consists of all the local high school bands, all the cheerleading squads in the back of pick up trucks throwing candy at the crowd, all the beauty pagent girls on the backs of cars from the local dealerships (of course there''s a pagent associated with the fair!) Oh, and don''t forget all the fire trucks and cop cars that join in for sound effects.

The fair is your standard stuff- rides, cotton candy, elephant ears. There''s a tractor pull on Saturday night. My parents live about 8 miles from the fair grounds and you can hear the tractor pull from their house. I''ve been to the tractor pull more times than I''d like to admit. Nothing like rednecks with big trucks. The people watching is FANTASTIC.

I went for the first time in probably ten years about five years ago. I took some friends with me that had never experienced such pleasures and we had a blast! I should totally take DH this year. You''ve just given me a great idea that he will kill me for.
9.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 5:12:55 PM
Author: April20
The one in my hometown is generally around Labor Day. They do a parade the week of (can''t remember which day it is). The parade consists of all the local high school bands, all the cheerleading squads in the back of pick up trucks throwing candy at the crowd, all the beauty pagent girls on the backs of cars from the local dealerships (of course there''s a pagent associated with the fair!) Oh, and don''t forget all the fire trucks and cop cars that join in for sound effects.

The fair is your standard stuff- rides, cotton candy, elephant ears. There''s a tractor pull on Saturday night. My parents live about 8 miles from the fair grounds and you can hear the tractor pull from their house. I''ve been to the tractor pull more times than I''d like to admit. Nothing like rednecks with big trucks. The people watching is FANTASTIC.

I went for the first time in probably ten years about five years ago. I took some friends with me that had never experienced such pleasures and we had a blast! I should totally take DH this year. You''ve just given me a great idea that he will kill me for.
9.gif
OMG!!!!! Did we grow up in the same town????

I forgot to add the memories of throwing up from eating too much junk!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Our house isn''t much, but one of its features that we didn''t know about when we bought it, is that it is on the town''s annual parade route. So, every year the parade from the fair comes to us!!!
1.gif
Can entertaining get any easier?

Love wandering around the fair. It''s a great part of summer.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love cheesy fairs. I''ve been to LA once, and it was just too stinkin'' hot. but it was fun and doofy.

In the city I grew up in, there is the "hometown fair" every year. More of a crafts thing. Not as fun and cheesy as the county fairs, but I like it there too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 4:02:55 PM
Author: Linda W
Not so much, as we go to our state fair in Sacramento. That is the big one. There are so many things to do there and to see. We love it.
do and see what grandma?
33.gif
been the same for the past 37 yrs. haven''t gone to the state fair in the past 4 yrs.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:43:42 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
We go to the Del Mar Fair every year (renamed the San Diego County Fair but.. I can''t get over the name).. Its fun.. love it!!

I miss going to Del Mar fair. It was a must-do each summer when I was at SDSU. and yep, it''s still the DEL MAR fair- just like it will always be THE MURPH (boooo Qualcomm Stadium!)

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I love them, I love cotton candy
18.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 6:42:11 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 7/13/2009 4:02:55 PM

Author: Linda W

do and see what grandma?
33.gif
been the same for the past 37 yrs. haven''t gone to the state fair in the past 4 yrs.

Well DF, come with us this year and we will show you the fun things. You aren''t looking in the right places then.
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I love their corn dogs.
9.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I just went to my first ever county fair this past Sun with DD (her first too since she is only 11 months). I can''t wait til DD is older b/c I think it''ll be so much fun then.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 5:15:00 PM
Author: Upgradable

Date: 7/13/2009 5:12:55 PM
Author: April20

9.gif
OMG!!!!! Did we grow up in the same town????

I forgot to add the memories of throwing up from eating too much junk!
Yours is that classy too, huh? Given it''s a traveling fair, I wonder how many there are of those and how many of us are actually getting the same fair in different zip codes.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We started a tradition with our best friends...we take our kids together every year. My friend and I have known eachother since 4th grade and our kids have known eachother their entire lives. We have pictures of us before kids, preggo with kids, and now with our 3 kids each. They love it as well!

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 3:52:38 PM
Author:monarch64
Does anyone go to theirs? Is it just a small town/midwestern thing? My county''s is this week and I''m actually looking forward to going. Cotton candy, elephant ears, all things country, ha ha...

Okay, what is an elephant ear??? I assume its some type of carnival food...?
LOL, okay, I''m not a big fair person, but maybe this mysterious treat will tempt me ;-)

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I was a member of the Future Farmers of America in high school and raised show rabbits. We showed my rabbits at County Fairs all over the State of Texas. It was really fun!

Our largest event is the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and it has all of the fun County Fair stuff on steroids. You get a bit of everything!
36.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my late Mom was a charter member of the Houston/Harris County Fair. It is now called the Houston Farm and Ranch Club.

Lori

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 10:11:59 PM
Author: oneandahalfrock

Date: 7/13/2009 3:52:38 PM
Author:monarch64

Okay, what is an elephant ear??? I assume its some type of carnival food...?
LOL, okay, I''m not a big fair person, but maybe this mysterious treat will tempt me ;-)
Elephant ears are a funnel cake type thing.

elephant ear.jpg

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think Upgradable and April and I *all* grew up in the same town! Corn Days was written in stone, first weekend of August, for every summer of my childhood (it actually took place in my grandparents'' town, so it was our yearly summer visit). Just like you described -- cheap crafts, way too much food, bouncy castles, as much free sweet corn as you could choke down (with butter running down your face!), and the fantastic 19-float-long parade (including the ones that were "Class of 19XX" with about 6 members on lawn chairs).

Oh how I miss it. The Royal Show in Perth is fabulous, but not nearly as tacky nor as quaint. I''d trade in the LottoWest fireworks for a turtle race anyday...

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I think we get the same traveling fair!

I prefer funnel cakes to elephant ears - same basic thing, though.

funnelcakedustedd.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funnel cakes/elephant ears= fried sugary goodness that will probably kill you slowly over time.
9.gif
Yum!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We were just disappointed the other day because we didn''t get to go to one of our "usual" fairs. I think our county has just about the best county fair I''ve been to. It''s in late August and we go several times every year. We used to show hogs at a couple of fairs and it becomes a sort of a rite of passage for all of our kids.

Our local fairs have demo derbies, tractor pulls, rodeo, in addition to the badly assembled rides and nasty delicious food. DH won''t ride the fair rides because of how they''re assembled so ever since we were dating he knows I''m gonna find someone to ride the Zipper with me even if it''s a complete stranger.

When I was about 15 I rode one of the vomit-inducing rides 7 times in a row...for free...I was cute....and all the other carnies began offering us free rides because my friend and I could hold our lunch!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results