shape
carat
color
clarity

Itchy legs- causes? Remedies?

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
I need suggestions for new creams/lotions to try for itchy skin. It seems worse in the winter, but happens all year round. I've tried numerous lotions and shaving tricks, but nothing is working. This past week I've scratched my legs to the point of bleeding which is why I'm turning here for help.

I thought it might be caused from hair regrowth, so I switched to epilating. Now I'm not sure it's that.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? Is dry skin the only thing it could be or is it worth seeing a dermatologist?

I went out and bought cetophyl and aveeno lotion this evening. I'm praying it helps, but am not going to hold my breath.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I hate being itchy and I empathize with you. Since it's a persistent problem you should definitely see a dermatologist and get a proper diagnosis. It really can be a lot of things. Allergies are year round now as is eczema to name just a couple of possibilities. In the meantime I like Eucerin creme original formula-comes in the white tub. It's great for dry skin. It's also good to moisturize right out of the shower while you are still a bit damp so the moisturizer gets absorbed more thoroughly. I also like CeraVe creme. Please make an appointment with a dermatologist so you can get a proper diagnosis and correct treatment. Good luck.

ETA: I don't recommend using a steroid on any regular type basis but if the itching gets really bad you can try a weak OTC hydrocortisone steroid cream to temporarily relieve your itching so you don't end up scratching your legs till they bleed. But please only once in a while because unless under a doctor's care and recommendation it is not a good idea to do use a steroid with any frequency.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
I developed eczema on my lower legs about 5 years ago. If it's just itchiness, you probably don't have eczema. Mine also gets bumps and scaly patches. Shaving definitely irritates it, but I know this is not the only factor for me because I can go without shaving for a while only to have my skin flare up anyway. If you think it might me eczema, go see a dermatologist for sure. Mine won't even respond to OTC hydrocortisone creams. Prescription steroid creams, however, and like magic and make the itching STOP. Luckily they work so well I do not have to use them often. As far as lotions go, CeraVe is my favorite and I use it once or twice everyday. Eucerin is too greasy for me.

ETA: As for a cause, I have no idea. I have switched to all fragrance free, dye free soaps, detergents, etc. and it doesn't seem to make much of any difference. Could be a dietary allergy, but I've never figured it out.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I shave less often, use moisturizing shaving cream and Venus razor when I do, and moisturize with a pure oil (coconut, jojoba, apricot kernel, or almond are my favorites).

If I get super itchy, Eucerin Calming Cream works wonders.

I use the same oils/lotions on my son who has horrible allergies/eczema.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
PetitePoire, try Sarna lotion which you can find at the drug store to relieve the itching - http://www.sarna-skincare.com/ There is a $2 off coupon on the website. I had some seriously itchy legs once, and the primary care doctor recommended Sarna and it definitely helped.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Missy- I will try moisturizing fresh out of the shower and see if that helps. I usually tend to wait a bit after, so that could be a huge factor for me. I saw Cerave at the store yesterday and hesitated between that and the Cetaphyl.
I'll have to give it a try.. I have the eucerin healing ointment for my hands, but I think that's different than the cream in the jar. My family swears by the jar cream for dry skin, by I've never used it long enough to see a change, but it sounds promising.

Amc- I read that post last night! It's what made me run to the store to try cetaphyl. I don't shave anymore, but I'm going to try it with the epilator in the shower and after the shower and see how it does.

Jazzoboe- I keep googling eczema, but I don't have those patchy, red, scaley marks, so I'm guessing it's not that.
I do get bumps though and those are what I terribly scratch. You're the second person to mention Cerave, so I'm thinking it must be good. I'll have to give it a go.

Bella- I wish I could skip epilating! My husband says to just let it grow vs worrying about scratching myself to death, but I just can't! It grows so fast and I hate the feeling of it rubbing on pants. The eucerin calming cream sounds like it would work too. I love almond oil! I use it as part of pre makeup routine to keep my face moisturized and used it a lot during pregnancy- just not on my legs. I love anything natural.

Thank you all! This has given me hope that there is something out there to help.
For now I will avoid the dermatologist, so I'm not tempted with a steroid and see how it goes with these lotions and recommendations!

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
JGator|1385397355|3562543 said:
PetitePoire, try Sarna lotion which you can find at the drug store to relieve the itching - http://www.sarna-skincare.com/ There is a $2 off coupon on the website. I had some seriously itchy legs once, and the primary care doctor recommended Sarna and it definitely helped.

I have the Sarna original and it does a really good job. I just can't handle the old person smell it has to it. I've broken down a few times to use it, but it has a very strong smell so I can only use it just before bed.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just throwing this out there; hot water dries out your skin big time! I would use cooler water and see if that helps? also coconut oil is good for your skin.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Straight out of the bath / shower, I would layer a fairly thin oil layer, and then a cream emolliant layer over the top.
Emu oil is unbelievably moisturising, it is used by plastic surgeons apparently. I used it constantly on my little boy who suffers from itchy, pollen-allergic skin. Olive oil can be a vegetarian alternative.

In the morning I would put another thin layer of the cream.

Hope you feel better soon.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Eucerin. The dermatologist likes it and Cetaphil.

I also have a topical steroid cream for when it flares up since I get the full blown scaly patches and have even had large-ish chunks of toes dry/fall-off in winter :-o :knockout:
The cream is good enough that I only really need it a few days every couple of months or less.

Neosporin (or Polysporin) has worked great for me too. I'm able to smear a bit of it on when the regular lotion just isn't doing the job and am able to keep my flare ups from being as bad as they had been.

My grandmother swears by Bag Balm.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Skippy- I know that's a huge factor for me. I love hot water! I've been slowly trying to get the water temperature down to where I put it during the summer. It's been a slow process.

Laraonline- very interesting. I know I have olive oil, so I'll try that first. It's hard remembering to put lotion on before I'm completely dried off.

Too patient- I find it comforting to know what dermatologists recommend. That's one reason I chose the cetaphil.

Update--- No luck with the Aveeno skin relief or Cetaphil. Cetaphil feels like it burns just after putting it on. I have so many scabs from scratching the bumps. I think there might be alcohol in it? Aveeno does seem to keep my legs moisturized if I apply morning and night, but it doesn't provide instant itch relief like the Sarna. My legs were on fire again last night, which is a shame, because I was really hopeful. I have been using one on each leg to test.

I've also been sleeping with a humidifier, so I'm hoping using that will help since the air inside is so dry with the heater.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thought I would throw this out there to try:
Take a warm(not hot) bath with oatmeal and milk added to it-aveeno has packets of very fine oatmeal just for the bath. Both sooth the skin and help with the itching. Then when you get out and are still damp put on coconut oil, coco butter or shea butter. Good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to the oatmeal bath, that's a good one Stepcutnut.

I have really dry skin and exzema. Winter is my least comfortable season. About 9 years ago I found a body butter at Target made by a company called Tree Hut. It is amazing and they make several scents. It's shea butter that is super thick and keeps me moisturized for 18 hours, at least. I swear by it.

I also try to treat my issues from the inside--I drink a ton of water during the day, usually have no caffeine, stay away from processed foods full of salt (which is really hard because they are so darn convenient), take a daily vitamin, and eat healthy fats like nuts, avocados, peanut butter fairly often.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same thing in the winter months, including the insane itching. My skin is not super-dry at all, just very itchy. I found these a few years ago, and they help a lot. I think one was mentioned earlier in this thread. I use both on my legs only because it is only my legs that itch. I stock up on these because I never want to be without!

http://www.eucerinus.com/products/calm/eucerin-skin-calming-dry-skin-body-wash.html

http://www.eucerinus.com/products/calm/eucerin-skin-calming-itch-relief-treatment.html

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd probably go to the dermatologist at this point.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1385497784|3563367 said:
Just throwing this out there; hot water dries out your skin big time! I would use cooler water and see if that helps? also coconut oil is good for your skin.

I am in total agreement with Skippy. I use both. I also believe that the itch/scratch becomes a vicious cycle. The more you scratch the more you will itch.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had your thyroid checked lately? Extremely itchy skin on the legs, especially the shin area, is really common. I ignored incredibly itchy skin this summer in a very humid area of the country. I realized that my thyroid meds needed to be adjusted when my hair started falling out in clumps. It's taking months to get everything back to normal.

One of my coworkers said that her thyroid related leg itchiness would get so bad that she would scratch in her sleep to the point the bed would shake and wake her husband.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Great suggestion. I am actually hypothyroid, too, but I'm still titrating up my meds so I don't know if my eczema will ease up once my thyroid levels get optimized. I'm really hoping so, though!

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions! This will be a great resource page when/if I feel terrible again! I truly appreciate it.

Ponder- wow! Thank you! I never ever would have thought to relate it to my thyroid. I've actually been feeling really off lately, so I had my OB check my levels since I knew I wouldn't make it to the endos labs quicker. She checked them last week and my numbers are high, so I will have to up my dose and do better at checking my levels, especially while pregnant. It's so nice that there is possibly a reason for this, because it's been horrible.

Update- I've been using the Aveeno twice daily and the cetaphyl right out of the shower. I also use the cetaphyl like in the post AMC posted. The combination of all of that, and lower water temps, have really helped! The lotions are thick and take time to adjust to, but it's worth it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results