shape
carat
color
clarity

Itching for a Meow Meow! (lengthy)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
I am itching for a furball...! I have been doing my research on cats lately and sifting through shelter/adoption websites and now I am dying to get a little meow meow.

DH was never a pet person and his family never owned any pets, goldfish included. I on the other hand had fish, crayfish and a dog, but no cats. I never thought I would want a cat but i have been doing research and they have so much character and i think they will be most fitting for our lifestyle but I have a few obstacles working against me
8.gif
:

1. DH is verrrrrrry against me getting any pets (ok maybe a goldfish, maybe).
2. Our co-op does not allow pets. (Though I spoke to the doorman yesterday and he told me a few co-ops in the apt have cats but people turn a blind eye as long as they don''t cause a commotion. We also plan to move next year to a condo.)
3. I have never owned a cat and don''t even know where to start or whether I am fitting for one!

I wanted get an idea on whether you guys think my lifestyle allows for a cat. I am not looking for a kitten as I know they do better in pairs and need more attention which I worry I will not be able to offer with my schedule. I was hoping to adopt a 2-3 year old male (since it seems that they tend to be more affectionate).

Here is a little info about us...

~ we have no pets currently
~ we have no children but plan to start TTC Spring 2010
~ I work a regular 9-5 type job, out by 7AM back by 7PM
~ DH work nights, out by 6PM back by 8AM
~ we live in a one bedroom corner unit approx. 900 sq ft (which currently does not allow for pets, but I am working on that
11.gif
)
~ the maintenace guys have access to our apt and comes in sometimes to change the filter/exterminate/check the smoke detector (will the scare the cat?)
~ we don''t travel often, usually (1) week long vacation and (2) or (3) long weekend vacations per year (when we travel, can we take the cat with us assuming the hotel allows? is this a pain or is it better to get a petsitter?)
~ DH seems to think he is allergic to cats, but I think this may be an excuse. If he really is, does that automatically mean - NO CATS?

So... what do you think? cat or no cat?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest issue I see is if your DH is actually allergic. Maybe you could "test" his alleged allergy with a visit to a friend''s house that is occupied by a feline?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Could I suggest that you offer to pet-sit someone''s cat for a week or so while they are on holiday.

That will give you more of an idea of what they are like and if your DH is really allergic or not.

I''ve had cats all my life - mainly siamese who are more of a dog crossed with a cat!
28.gif

My husband also adores cats but is very allergic to them - when we visit my parents he has to take meds and certainly could never spend the night in the house. He can manage a few hours, but then has to go and spend a few hours sitting in the car which is not much fun for anyone. There are no truly non-allergenic cats out there (the man who runs Allerca is a well-known conman).

Personally I wouldn''t have a cat if I was at work all day - especially if they were an indoor cat or an only cat. This may be based on my having had orientals who are very into people and can be super-destructive if bored.

If you get a male cat, make sure he''s neutered and be aware that even when neutered they can take to spraying everywhere which can be a big problem.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I would be most concerned about the potential allergy thing...that could be an add water disaster. You need to find out this is for real or not before going any further. Prehaps a trip to the shelter for a cruise around the adoptable cats would let you know if itchy watery eyes and a runny nose follow.

However, I think that if someone has never owned a pet, the thought of taking one on can be intimidating. But, if you find the right cat...don''t be surprised if your husband ends up loving it more than you!

Good luck and keep us posted!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
My dh is allergic. I wasn't going to get rid of yolanda when we started dating... and he now LOVES HER. He takes singulair(pill) and advair (the purple vial) he has no problems with her. But his allergy is very real.. causes his asthma to flair up. But he is able to manage it through medication... which is expensive.

When we go on vacations.. yolanda stays home. She has her litter box and food and water dish dispense food out. She has been left for 2 weeks alone while we were on vacation. A friend popped in over the weekend in between and cleaned her box and checked food and water.. adn gave some affection... but she was fine.

Cats are easy.. and sooo loveable! (It is also characteristic of the breed of cat. Some breeds NEEEEED human interaction or are very destrctive. Others can be very vocal. Some still will mark the home when left alone... My cat is a typical domestic shorthair... nothin fancy, she looks like a short hair turkish van, she used to be an outdoor kitty and we have never had any problems with her going where she shouldnt.. etc.)

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
This is why I love asking for opinions here! You guys are always able to give me a different perspective. My coworker is willing to let me cat sit her 2 year old tabby for a weekend (and possibly adopting him) so once I can convince DH to take up on the offer, I am going to give it a try.

The reason why DH thinks that he has allergies is because he was at a friends house with both dogs and cats and he broke out in hives. So maybe he wasn't lying about the allergies - but it can also be something he ate since he breaks out in hives when he eats shrimps!

Now I am really beginning to wonder maybe I should just get a gold fish
7.gif
. I do not want to be selfish and get a cat then not have enough time for him/her and plus get into arguments with DH.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no, don't give up too quickly!

I think you should try visiting a shelter with your DH to see what he thinks and how he reacts in terms of allergies. Also, pet-sitting for a friend is a great idea. I would visit the shelter, though, too. There are so many cats that need homes. Seeing their need may have an impact on your DH.

I went to an allergist and was told that I was allergic to everything, including cats and dogs. I have had cats my entire life -- 7 was the max because I rescued all of the neighborhood strays when I was growing up! I now have three cats, two dogs and love to garden, all things that I shouldn't have or do according to the allergist! Really, I haven't had many issues allergy-wise, but for a time, I was having major eye allergies, which I attribute to eye makeup. I do not take any allergy medications. I've had lots of friends, whose husbands once thought they were allergic to cats, and are not happy cat papas.

Cats are so EASY. I've also had siamese cats, who can be more needy. The three cats that I have now are all fine during the day, and they are home alone. They are home together, but they do not interact at all, so I'm quite sure they'd each prefer to be alone!!

It sounds like you've visited petfinder already, but just in case you have not: http://www.petfinder.com

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and to answer your question about the workmen coming in during the day. Yes, a cat would likely be frightened and would scoot under the bed to hide, but that would be the extent of it.

I would be more concerned that the cat would get out, if they were not aware that the cat was in the apartment, and they left the door open.

And, I would not recommend traveling with a cat. For longer trips, you could have a friend or petsitter come in 1X/day, or you could kennel the kitty. For a weekend trip, a cat would be fine on its own with extra food and water.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
yea... i am trying hard to convince him to try the pet sitting route... his response, "OH GOD". He seems to think that I really want children and because we planned to wait I feel the need to have to take care of something. That is probably partially true, but I am perfectly clear that a cat is not a replacement for a kid!

I definitely checked out petfinder.com and adoptapet.com and thats when I felt like I have to have one! I''ve been on their website everyday reading articles and pet backgrounds. It is so sad to read about abandoned pets which is why I want to make an informed decision before getting a kitty involved.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, his "OH GOD" reaction is understandable, considering you both haven''t had pets before. I''m assuming he hasn''t had any pets before either? He probably sees it as a big change.

I do think just one cat is very reasonable. Hopefully, he won''t protest too much to the petsitting idea, and it will all work out from there.

And, yes, seeing all the kitties on petfinder can definitely tug at one''s heartstrings. It''s good that you''re putting so much thought into the decision.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
My fiance did NOT want a cat. He is a dog person. He always believed he hated cats. Let me tell you that he LOVES his cats. He calls them his buddies, and when we went on a brief weekend getaway, (2 days) we were supposed to leave at 16:00 but we left at 7:00 because my sister was supposed to feed them on the last day, and didn''t have the key. He was freaking out because the cats would not have had their breakfast. Honestly, my cats are kind of fat. I think they would have survived missing a meal. What I am trying to say is that cats grow on you. Even if you *think* you hate cats, once you get one, they are so sweet and cute, you can''t help but love them. And then you start doing all sorts of things and before you know it, the cat runs the house.

Aside from that, you need to determine the allergy status. I think it would be horrible to get a kitten and then figure out it would trigger his asthma. If it''s a mild allergy, it can go three ways a) He''s always a little stuffed up with them b) each exposition makes him even more sensitive c) He becomes desensitized to the cat, and is no longer allergic to the cat.

As for not being home, I think that would be hard for the kitten. Both of us work during the day, but we have two cats, so they keep each other company. Would this be an option? Or are you already pushing it with one?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think your idea for pet-sitting first is a great idea.

I''ve had cats my whole life, except for the 4 years I was in college. I''m allergic (and I have asthma) and so is my DH. We have 3 cats. He became tolerized to them over the first 6 months or so of ownership and has no major issues, ever, I take medication (Zyrtec and asthma meds as needed). My DH was opposed to having cats at first, but he acquiesced because he knew how important it was to me, and now he ADORES the cats.

I think its great that you are putting so much thought into this. I think that some serious conversations with your DH would help too - have you explored WHY he doesn''t want a cat (or other pet)? Once you have ideas on what, specifically, makes him opposed to the idea, you can start to address those specific issues.

In terms of the concerns you expressed above, I would worry a bit about the fact that cats aren''t allowed where you live. Most reputable rescue organizations will check this out and may not adopt to you if this is the case. I''m not saying this to discourage you, just something to keep in mind.

In terms of workmen in and out, that could be a concern, mainly if the cat bolted into the hallway. Is there a way you can get advanced notice if they need to come through your place? If you could, you could have kitty in a bathroom or other small room with his/her litter box and food and water for that time period.

In terms of maintenance, they are pretty low-maintenance, however, I think its important to remember that you will need to make arrangements for someone to look in on the kitty if you both have to be out of town for more than a day. I know some people leave their cats alone and unsupervised for longer, but its not safe at all. I volunteer at a shelter and I''ve seen some horrible things that have happened as a result of this being done - including cats who managed to get themselves tangled in things, or who developed a urinary tract blockage - either can be fatal (and in several cases, were), but if someone had just been there to check on the cat, those animals never would have need to suffer, or in some cases, die
39.gif
I would NEVER leave my cats unattended for more than a single overnight.

Whew, this is getting long, so let me just add - you already seem convinced, but I wanted to echo it, that cats are DELIGHTFUL animals to have. My DH and I have never laughed as much as we do at the antics and personalities of our cats. They bring untold comfort and companionship to us both, especially when one or both of us is upset, and they ask very little in return. I hated living for four years in college without a cat, and I''m so glad I have them now - I can''t imagine ever not having cats again.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
yea his reaction is definitely understandable but he is open to it helping a friend catsit only if it was necessary (i.e. friend going on vacation), but he does not want us to take someone''s cat home for no other reason then test running having a cat...

I may try another route and ask him to take me to the local shelter this weekend to just "take a look". Then we can determine whether he actually has allergies and hopefully seeing all kitties will warm him up a bit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my advice. Ditto Amber. Definitely see if you can pet sit for a little while. With cats, it's best for them to be in their environment, not in yours. But if you have a friend with a laid back cat, see about borrowing it for a while.

I'm allergic and we have four.

I would make sure you get it from a VERY reputable shelter or rescue. VERY VERY REPUTABLE. Ask the board here for local recommendations many of us will know the good from the bad. If we don't look up local spay neuter clinics ask them for the 'best' rescue around. They will know.

Here's what to look for:

No kill or as close as possible to no killl (only put down for serious illlness that affect the cat's quality of life and proven dangerous animals). When you adopt from a no-kill you open up a space at that facility for another animal to be saved until it can go to its forever home.

The other reason for a no kill is that most (not all) spend A LOT of time with their cats and get to know their personalities very well. I volunteered for years at such a facility and believe me I, and the others there, could easily tell you which cats we would recommend for a first time pet owner, and which we wouldn’t.
Next, the facility should REQUIRE (as in you don’t ask if they do this, they tell you) you to return the animal to them if there is an issue. Any issue.
They should do an extensive background check. They should (and probably will) ask you if you can have pets in your building.
They should be willing to train you in cat basics or have literature they recommend you read.
They should have a vet tech on staff at the least and should be able to tell you with a quick glance at the cats file what the cat has had done/been screened for if it was a stray, and if it was a surrender they should be able to tell you a LOT more than that (previous vet, vet history, etc.)
They should have NO problem with you just hanging around for a WHILE with any animal you are considering.
They should REQUIRE a fee (this is a screening tool, not just a way to recoup costs).

Honestly, what I tell people who want pets, have some time, and are willing is to start volunteering in a basic capacity at a local rescue. After a few months, you will know what is right for you.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
That is soo funny. My cat is soo friendly, walks up to anyone with limbs. She used to be an outdoor cat, until a neighbor called animal control on her. (She was only out during the day, and I would let her in at night. We lived in a very large neighborhood with large fields, and she enjoyed sunning in the fields.) Aparantly yolanda liked the bird bath - and would go hunting... neighbor didn''t like it. Instead of telling me about it- called animal control.

Yolanda walked right over to the agent, rolled over belly up and got picked up. "Ferile cat" my sweet buns. My other neighbor say the whole thing go down and tried to stop it - but since I wasn''t home I had to drive downtown and pay the fine. Sucks. Sad too... yolanda loves the outdoors.

Yolanda would not hide from any repair men... etc. I think it is all about finding the right pet for you. Housesitting is a good idea!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I love cats, so I''m biased. From the age of 4, I have lived only one year of my life without a cat.

1) Allergies will not deter pet owners. That''s why there is Benadryl. It works.

2) Cats are perfect for your schedules. They don''t need walking. And they sleep sixteen hours a day on the average.

3) Of course maintenance men banging around in your apt will scare the crap out of your cat. They''ll just go hide somewhere ''til the coast is clear.

4) Always check with your landlord or other housing authority first. You do not want a huge fee/ a broken lease/ bad reference for your next place. You can wait if they say no.

5) Cats are not standoffish, too independent, not loving enough. That''s what dog owners, who don''t like cats, say.

6) Cats will be affectionate, will want to be near you, will greet you when you come home, will miss you when you''re away, they love to play, AND THEY PURR! Nothing beats a good purr for making the grumpiest of people smile.

7) Only cat boxes stink. If they aren''t clean. Cats never stink. Can''t say the same about other mammals.

8) Cats that grow up with children will play with the kids as if they themselves were children. We used to dress our kitty up in doll clothes and cart her around in a doll buggy.
9.gif
She loved it.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
HollyS you post totally made me laugh out loud on the bus!

Since DH works nights and will not be home until tomorrow I didnt really get to sit down and talk with him. But these are the reasons why I think he doesn''t want us to get a pet:

~ I go through my phases of wanting things... then after I want want want, I change my mind (yes, this is true, but that is with things like shoes and bags!)

~ He feels that he will end up taking on a majority of the responsibilities since he handles a majority of the chores at home (I can''t deny this but I was hoping the cat can be a shared responsiblity)

~ He thinks I want a cat on rebound from the lost of my parents family dog recently (partly true...)

~ He thinks I want children and want to "take care of something" until that happens (I want both! I want our children to grow up with pets)

~ He is concerned with the apartment board (which I totally agree on and only real thing stopping me from adopting impulsively!)

After reading these reasons you are probably going
38.gif
at me... hehehe I know I know... which is the reason why I posted this to get thoughts. At least I am being responsible and doing research!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cat can be a wonderful companion, which might be just the thing for you given your split schedules. Some cats are skittish and standoffish, but most cats I''ve known are not -- a lot of it depends on how they''re socialized. I''ve had cats all of my adult life, two at a time, mostly, but they''ve always been indoor-outdoor cats. Many of my friends have indoors only cats that seem to do just fine. I wouldn''t even think about trying to sneak one by the building management, however... there are too many downsides, as Holly S pointed out. Re travelling, I''m OK with leaving my cats alone overnight and occasionally for two nights, though at that point I usually ask a friend to go in and put out fresh food. I tend to board my cats if I expect to be gone longer than two nights, but in most cases having someone come in to feed and play with them would work just as well. My cats often go visit my parents with me (2 hour drive one way)... one of them is a good traveller, the other not so much. I wouldn''t take them on vacations with me though. In my experience most cats do not travel as well as dogs, and they''re not welcome in as many places either.

I hope you''ll get to experience the joys of having a cat someday!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Cats are great for first time pet owners. I have 4 (TAKE THEM ALL, PLEASE GOD..
3.gif
) and I have had cats since I was 3 years old. Actually, I still have my first cat! She's an oldy but a goody!

Anyway.. I wouldn't automatically say nix on the kitten idea. It really depends on the nature of the cat. There are many breeds of cats that are more independent than others. Siamese would not be a good choice. Maine Coons and Japanese Bobtails are both very independant breeds. Of course, every cat varies. And most people would rather get a cat from a shelter that is basically on death row, than pay 1000 dollars for a full bred kitten. Can't say I disagree. Cats are very intelligent. That's my theory on why they're so hard to train to do tricks. They're just too smart for that haha. I have found that with enough toys, kittens will amuse themselves when you're gone. Puppies are a lot more intense.

I wouldn't worry about TTC with cats around. Most cats will have no problem with a baby.

If your husband is allergic, Sphynxes (their appearance is a little off-putting at first, but I assure you they are very sweet and awesome cats!), Devon Rexes, and Siberian cats (also known as Croshka) are believed to be considerably hypoallergenic. Croshka cats have lots of hair, but their skin and saliva produce less of the allergen called FEL D1, which is a potent allergen responsible for most people's allergies to cats. My mother is allergic to cats and dogs. She has both. She has built up an immunity to it after all these years. Sometimes the allergies can be worse though and can't be overcome without medication.

I really think the only reason to go for a full bred cat in your case is if your husband is in fact allergic, and you still want a kitty. Just thought I'd throw some info out there.
3.gif

Good luck!

EDIT: Definitely better to get a petsitter with cats. They do not like changes in environment like that, and they (for the most part) hate traveling. And if someone comes in to clean the apartment or make repairs, the cat will most likely hide. He/she may be scared, but that's just how cats are. Nothing to worry about.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so have some additional information/ opinions to add.

First, cats (and dogs) are individuals. There are species characteristics and even breed characteristics, but the most important thing to understand is they are individuals.

You get smart ones, dumb ones, friendly ones, unfriendly ones.

Some cats want to be the one and only cat (or animal) in your life and REALLY want to stay that way. Others will ignore you for their feline companions, and if they don't have any... will pine away for a friend.

Here's a quick summary of some of the cats in that have gone in and out of my life.

My first cat, Kitty (I was very original with the names at 8) was an indoor/ outdoor cat (who eventually was killed by a raccoon. Please keep your cats indoors). He just strutted into our house one day as a small kitten (the door was open because we were spring cleaning), curled up and went to sleep on one of our chairs. He loved people, had a very distinct schedule of activities he was adamant he was going to keep to (always wanted to be fed the same time everyday, then would clean himself. Then would nap. Then would want out. Would stay out for 2 hours. Would come back in and nap, and was ALWAYS home when I got back from school to greet me). You could bathe him without any problem. He loved people, stayed right where he was when they came over, and in fact, if there was a guest, he'd come over and say hi to them and extend his welcome. I used to pick him up and just carry him around with me, like a football. Did not like belly rubs at all though. Liked being an only cat just fine and preferred it that way.

Frodo, my younger current male cat, I got him out of our backyard when he was a kitten and he was so intrepid. He was terrified to be alone and TINY but after several weeks of my sitting outside in the fallen leaves with him, he trusted me enough for me to bring him in. He loves to cuddle, but ONLY in certain spots. On the bed, on one side of the couch, but otherwise will stay just barely in reach of a petting for mommy and daddy. He does not trust other people and does not come out for our guests with the notable exception of my MIL, whom he loves. Even my niece who just has something special with animals (just a way about her, it's strange) can't get him to come out for her unless she stays with us for a week. He loves his momma (me) and I can do the strangest things with him (pick him up and turn him on his head, fuss with his collar, pick at his scabs, cut his nails), and he has these talon claws and he never gets me with them UNLESS I pick him up and hold him and something startles him (many things startle him). He doesn't like being picked up and held. Will sit with me for hours in bed and cuddle and is the gentlest thing you can imagine when I pet his belly, he starts kneading (careful not to hurt me). He has NO schedule that anyone can tell. Seriously. He's always doing different things at all hours. Eats like a champ. ADORES other cats. Prefers them to humans (even mommy)and would NOT be a happy kitty alone in a house with humans.

Duncan, my elder current male cat. He's a cross between Kitty and Frodo in many ways. I call him my cat ambassador. Because he is the reason why my husband, formerly a 'dog person', is as much if not more of a cat person than I am. Loves being picked up and held. Loves belly pets (and demands them), always tells me when his dry food is low, when his water is stale, but is really easy going about his schedule but generally sleeps a lot during the day, is active in the evening (when we are home) and greets us at the door most days, comes to bed with us and but usually leaves when we fall asleep. Then normally visits in the morning when the alarm goes off or when we wake up on weekends. Not always, you can't set your clock by him, but you can predict what he's likely to do. He reserves the right to shake things up a bit though. Hates baths, the vacuum and the blow dryer. Comes to visit when you are just out of the shower though and doesn't mind if you are wet if you pick him up. And he's a love. The gentlest cat with me, and knows I do not like to play rough. Knows John doesn't mind playing rough, and plays rough with him. Duncan was a year old when we got him. He's happy to give humans a chance but is cautious at first until they have proven that they are 'good' humans. Has adjusted just fine with having siblings, but wasn't happy about it at first. Would have been fine being an only cat.

So, what I am trying to say (long winded, okay so EXCRUCIATINGLY long winded, but I've typed it all now, so SOMEONE'S got to read it) is all three were/are male domestic short hair tabby's who were neutered. All of them were rescues. Frodo and Kitty (polar opposites) both were with me as kittens and were socialized by me (in addition to others)and all of them were part of good, solid, cat catering households. And yet... they are/were all VERY unique.

You have to find the right cat for you. And here's a hint. You normally don't pick them... they pick you. You can walk into a shelter with a 100 cats thinking you want a solid grey or diltute orange adult male cat you saw on a website ( we have) and walk out in LOVE with a weirdo (LOTS of personality and too smart for her own good) female black and white youngster (8-12 months) because while all the male adults ignored you... that female looked up and saw you and got stars in her eyes and the next thing you know... your heart is gone and you were covered in snot (because she sneezed on you) and you thought it was cute.

But that's my Hally's story. And I don't want to scare you.
9.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 1:48:52 AM
Author: Gypsy
Okay so have some additional information/ opinions to add.

First, cats (and dogs) are individuals. There are species characteristics and even breed characteristics, but the most important thing to understand is they are individuals.

You get smart ones, dumb ones, friendly ones, unfriendly ones.

Some cats want to be the one and only cat (or animal) in your life and REALLY want to stay that way. Others will ignore you for their feline companions, and if they don''t have any... will pine away for a friend.

Here''s a quick summary of some of the cats in that have gone in and out of my life.

My first cat, Kitty (I was very original with the names at 8) was an indoor/ outdoor cat (who eventually was killed by a raccoon. Please keep your cats indoors). He just strutted into our house one day as a small kitten (the door was open because we were spring cleaning), curled up and went to sleep on one of our chairs. He loved people, had a very distinct schedule of activities he was adamant he was going to keep to (always wanted to be fed the same time everyday, then would clean himself. Then would nap. Then would want out. Would stay out for 2 hours. Would come back in and nap, and was ALWAYS home when I got back from school to greet me). You could bathe him without any problem. He loved people, stayed right where he was when they came over, and in fact, if there was a guest, he''d come over and say hi to them and extend his welcome. I used to pick him up and just carry him around with me, like a football. Did not like belly rubs at all though. Liked being an only cat just fine and preferred it that way.

Frodo, my younger current male cat, I got him out of our backyard when he was a kitten and he was so intrepid. He was terrified to be alone and TINY but after several weeks of my sitting outside in the fallen leaves with him, he trusted me enough for me to bring him in. He loves to cuddle, but ONLY in certain spots. On the bed, on one side of the couch, but otherwise will stay just barely in reach of a petting for mommy and daddy. He does not trust other people and does not come out for our guests with the notable exception of my MIL, whom he loves. Even my niece who just has something special with animals (just a way about her, it''s strange) can''t get him to come out for her unless she stays with us for a week. He loves his momma (me) and I can do the strangest things with him (pick him up and turn him on his head, fuss with his collar, pick at his scabs, cut his nails), and he has these talon claws and he never gets me with them UNLESS I pick him up and hold him and something startles him (many things startle him). He doesn''t like being picked up and held. Will sit with me for hours in bed and cuddle and is the gentlest thing you can imagine when I pet his belly, he starts kneading (careful not to hurt me). He has NO schedule that anyone can tell. Seriously. He''s always doing different things at all hours. Eats like a champ. ADORES other cats. Prefers them to humans (even mommy)and would NOT be a happy kitty alone in a house with humans.

Duncan, my elder current male cat. He''s a cross between Kitty and Frodo in many ways. I call him my cat ambassador. Because he is the reason why my husband, formerly a ''dog person'', is as much if not more of a cat person than I am. Loves being picked up and held. Loves belly pets (and demands them), always tells me when his dry food is low, when his water is stale, but is really easy going about his schedule but generally sleeps a lot during the day, is active in the evening (when we are home) and greets us at the door most days, comes to bed with us and but usually leaves when we fall asleep. Then normally visits in the morning when the alarm goes off or when we wake up on weekends. Not always, you can''t set your clock by him, but you can predict what he''s likely to do. He reserves the right to shake things up a bit though. Hates baths, the vacuum and the blow dryer. Comes to visit when you are just out of the shower though and doesn''t mind if you are wet if you pick him up. And he''s a love. The gentlest cat with me, and knows I do not like to play rough. Knows John doesn''t mind playing rough, and plays rough with him. Duncan was a year old when we got him. He''s happy to give humans a chance but is cautious at first until they have proven that they are ''good'' humans. Has adjusted just fine with having siblings, but wasn''t happy about it at first. Would have been fine being an only cat.

So, what I am trying to say (long winded, okay so EXCRUCIATINGLY long winded, but I''ve typed it all now, so SOMEONE''S got to read it) is all three were/are male domestic short hair tabby''s who were neutered. All of them were rescues. Frodo and Kitty (polar opposites) both were with me as kittens and were socialized by me (in addition to others)and all of them were part of good, solid, cat catering households. And yet... they are/were all VERY unique.

You have to find the right cat for you. And here''s a hint. You normally don''t pick them... they pick you. You can walk into a shelter with a 100 cats thinking you want a solid grey diltute orange adult cat you saw on a website ( we have) and walk out in LOVE with a weirdo (LOTS of personality and too smart for her own good) female black and white youngster (8-12 months) because while all the male adults ignored you... that female looked up and saw you and got stars in her eyes and the next thing you know... your heart is gone and you were covered in snot (because she sneezed on you) and you thought it was cute.

But that''s my Hally''s story. And I don''t want to scare you.
9.gif

LOL GYPSY! I read it all! Cat''s certainly have funny ways about them, don''t they? All dogs wag their tail when you get home, like to play, and like to be pet. I can safely say that after having 4 cats and working in an all cat veterinary clinic, cats are so much more behaviorally diverse than dogs. (That''s my opinion, I know some will disagree.) I have a standoffish cat, a diva, a lovebug, and a very shy cat. They''re all so different!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 1:48:52 AM

You have to find the right cat for you. And here''s a hint. You normally don''t pick them... they pick you. .
9.gif

Amen to that!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
~ we have no children but plan to start TTC Spring 2010 No kids here either, plan on TTC this fall. I have 1 cat, and he usually respects our "alone time"
41.gif

~ I work a regular 9-5 type job, out by 7AM back by 7PM
~ DH work nights, out by 6PM back by 8AM We have a similar situation. I work nights, he works days. Our cat is used to the routine, he waits at the door in the morning to greet me.
~ we live in a one bedroom corner unit approx. 900 sq ft (which currently does not allow for pets, but I am working on that
11.gif
) We also have a 1 bedroom, approx the same size. Plenty of room for a cat. They will exercise if they need to... my cat gets the devil in him occasionally and rips through the apt at full speed, back and forth, until he gets tired. And of all the toys we''ve bought him, nothing apparently beats the broken hair tie he found. He goes nuts with that thing. BTW, our landlord knows we have a cat, though.
~ the maintenace guys have access to our apt and comes in sometimes to change the filter/exterminate/check the smoke detector (will the scare the cat?) It''ll probably scare him, but all cats are different, like the others said. He may love the company!
~ we don''t travel often, usually (1) week long vacation and (2) or (3) long weekend vacations per year (when we travel, can we take the cat with us assuming the hotel allows? is this a pain or is it better to get a petsitter?) If we go away for 2 or 3 days, we''ll leave the cat by himself, and have my brother stop in to feed him. Anything longer, and I take him to my mom''s. He doesn''t travel well, and I think he has separation anxiety. When we get home, he''ll literally yell at us for about an hour.
~ DH seems to think he is allergic to cats, but I think this may be an excuse. If he really is, does that automatically mean - NO CATS? I think the others have answered this sufficiently enough!

So... what do you think? cat or no cat? I vote CAT!
Like the others have said, the personality spectrum for cats is gigantic. Salem (my cat) is super friendly, cuddly and yappy. Learned how to roll over on command (well, most of the time). Picky eater. Can''t keep a plant within reach of him - the plant and my carpet will be destroyed. Loves to be petted so "he can feel it" (FI''s way of saying Salem enjoys being roughly petted, like a dog!). Loves when we have friends over the apt, as long as it''s not too many people and we don''t get rowdy. I feel very lucky to have a cat with a great personality... my SIL has a cat that I believe is the devil reincarnated
11.gif

You have to find out if your DH is truly allergic! And let us know!

PS Gypsy, I liked reading about your cats!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
my daughters want a cat so badly but I'm allergic esp to Siamese Cats. My eyes swell up, my asthma kicks in...it's scary. If I enter a home that has a cat, I can tell within a few minutes. So you are itching for a Meow Meow and I'm itching because of a Meow Meow

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Lynnie and FeralP. I've had A LOT of cats go in and out of my life, and they are all amazing and I miss each and everyone that's no longer with me. But since SkSk is looking at a DSH male, I thought those three would be the most pertinent.

To all the cats I've loved before... who've come and gone in and out my door.... MEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy I am obsessed with your new avatar. Where''d you get a baby dragon!?
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Google images. I looked up "cute dragon" and fell in love with this one. She''s got smoke coming out of her snout and looks SO tough... and then you notice how little she is.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:27:04 PM
Google images. I looked up ''cute dragon'' and fell in love with this one. She''s got smoke coming out of her snout and looks SO tough... and then you notice how little she is.

LOL - best description EVER - she is adorable, I love how she is trying to look tough. In some weird way it reminds me of when Oliver the kitty tries to look tough - its just not possible when you are super fluffy and have giant blue eyes and a kitten face on a fully-grown cat''s body
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is, larger. (Sorry for the threadjack). And yes, Amber... just like Ollie!!!
9.gif

1068790_b15a_625x1000LR.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy-I loved reading about your kitties!! I love love love cats and could never imagine not having at least 1 in the house. We always had them growing up, and when my grandparents left the farm and moved to town, we inherited their mama cat and her half grown kittens, and from then on, we became a cat farm. People would bring us their cats rather then take them to the vet to be put down. We converted a wood shed for their use w/barrels of straw to sleep in, kept log books of vaccinations, who had babies when, and how many. At one point we had about 50 outside cats, and when people would come into the driveway, the cats would swarm around to be petted. The vets office would call if they had cats that had been there for a long time and hadn''t been adopted, and I''d take them home.

Once I stopped to pick up some medicine and wandered to the back to see the kitties, and there was a teensy little white kitten with a gray spot on the top of her head. She could barely move, but she stuck her paw out at me and said "mew" in this little squeaky voice. The front desk girl there had found the kitten that morning on the way to work, and the poor thing was 1/2 dead. So of course, I burst into tears and begged her to let me have the kitten. She was too little to go right then, but they nursed her back to health and I''d stop in to visit her, and then I got to take her home. Named her Spanky and she was so sweet.

Before we got married, husband lived in a farm house and could not stand cats. A stray cat wandered to the property and would hide out in the shed/garage at night, I suppose to be safe from coyotes. I started feeding her. Everytime we''d open the door, the cat would be balanced on the ledge of the broken screen door like, hey can I come in? I asked one day if I could bring the cat in the house, and he said if the cat could get along w/the dogs, he was fine with it. So, I introduced his 3 pitbulls to the cat, and by the time he got back that evening, they were all curled up on the couch together and his jaw hit the floor. We''ve still got her and she is the best cat ever. Never gets into anything, just an all around good girl.

Our other cat however..we got her when she was old enough to be weaned, from my parents farm cat selection. She spent a few hours in her little carrier, all timid like. I took her downstairs to show her the litter box, and left her with the carrier door open by the food and water. A few hours later she came strolling upstairs, looked around, and the dog (just one inside pit by then) went to sniff her-she hauled off and smacked the dog in the snout and from then on, she has ruled this house. Bella, the oldest, would go sit by the dog when the dog was laying in her big dog bed on the floor..she''d sit right by her head and stare at her..until the dog would sigh and move to the tiny cat bed and try to curl up inside it, while Bella would sprawl out in the big dog bed.

Jeez, sorry, I get to talking about my kitties and have a hard time shutting up!

Cats really are special animals. They have extraordinary personalities and are so easy to take care of. I hope things work out for you-it''s a lot of fun having a cat in the house. I love to listen to their purr, and having a cat lay in my lap while I read is so relaxing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results