shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this worth recreating around my sapphire?

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I‘ve had this image in my head for the setting I wanted to create for my lovely pad sapphire and I’ve sketched it a few times. Then today while window shopping, I found the exact ring with the exact diamonds (French cut and OECs)… but it already had an aqua in it. It’s my sketch IRL! Ironically, the aqua is the exact size of my sapphire. Based on the cost of the ring at this particular store, I don’t think it makes sense to get the setting and switch out the stone but I’m not sure.

For those with far more experience doing custom work, how much do you think it would cost to source the diamonds and build this ring around my sapphire? If the cost to create this is too similar to the cost of this ring, I may have to rethink this… Thanks in advance for any advice!

5DC611E2-5575-467F-A73A-C3E5FE2721B1.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Probably at least $2000 as a starting point and will go up from there. Depends on how large the diamonds are as well. If they are larger, more money. The french cuts will be more than the rounds per carat.

If you want OEC melee, adds more to the cost as well. MRB will be cheaper.

Side note- don't source your own melee unless you want or enjoy a project. Have your vendor do it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the existing ring, it’s not easy to remove and replace the centre gem as it is both bezel set and milligrain. So I wouldn’t recommend buying that ring to switch your sapphire into unless you have access to a very good bench.
A setting like that will be pricey. Apart from the diamonds, it’s the workmanship. Bezel setting and milligrain take time, experience and precision. Someone like David Klass is more than competent but I image you’d be talking around $3,000.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
@elizat — thank you for the guidance.

@Bron357 - agreed, I wasn’t looking to replace it. Just trying to decide if I scratch this itch by getting this one, already made or if I proceed with building it myself with DK. It’s exactly what I want (albeit a little expensive) so hard to justify making it again… then again, I always envisioned it with my pad.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t buy that ring. In my opinion the milligrain work is a bit sloppy (especially top of the aquamarine and that left corner and also left set French cut diamond, bottom right corner) AND it’s not a particularly nice example of aquamarine. It’s got a huge window and is very pale. For a small size aqua you really ought to be going for precision cutting and Santa Maria tone.
Definitely go for one made to suit your requirements exactly by DK.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Bron357. I had seen it on my phone and was going to examine it more closely on a bigger screen when I was done working. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Now we need to see the Pad, lol!

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Here’s my sweet little 1ct pad. I love the ones with a little more orange so this one is perfect for me. I’ve been dying to set it but keep getting distracted with other sparkly things. I’m a seasoned window shopper! E7607C88-A0B5-4A2E-ABF8-CA711D7E63DD.jpeg

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Exactly!!! Hahha! Also how much do they want for the ring? I think yes 2500-3500 for custom.

The ring is $3500 which seems like a lot for an Aqua… with a sizable window as @Bron357 noted.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s my sweet little 1ct pad. I love the ones with a little more orange so this one is perfect for me. I’ve been dying to set it but keep getting distracted with other sparkly things. I’m a seasoned window shopper! E7607C88-A0B5-4A2E-ABF8-CA711D7E63DD.jpeg

So pretty! It is a beautiful color, and looks like great cut too which is hard to find. I love all the colors of Pads, but tend to be a size ho and can't afford any Pads the size i want, lol. One day maybe...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful!!! And I know the feeling - I have ideas for projects that stretch for years bc I buy other stuff.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Think of it this way: it’s great you have this picture so you can give it to DK or whichever vendor you choose and they know exactly what to recreate. Perhaps you could save a little by skipping the CAD since it’s not a drawing that is subject to interpretation.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Totally fair point so having the picture will be helpful. This really inspires me to make this my next project (once DK gets out of the crazy holiday season)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I recognized that vendor and went to price-check the ring to give you a more informed opinion -- and saw that it had sold. I hope you bought it.

I think it's very pretty. The bezel is a little wavy, which I attribute to age (= bumps on things). Vendor calls it "Edwardian Style," which they usually reserve for non-period pieces (and they are very precise about such things); however, the description says it is Edwardian.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very beautiful and definitely worth the DK treatment. Will be a fabulous ring. And if French cuts are hard to source, I’d suggest asschers as an interesting alternative.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Nope -- I didn't purchase it! I've been trying really hard to learn not to "settle" and rather get what I really want... which is a setting like this, beautifully executed, with my pad. Once I get into the project, I'll create a separate thread for it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results