shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this the right diamond?

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
image_3956.jpg

I am new to this and would appreciate feedback from the wealth of experience and knowledge on these forums- have been reading but I have no real knowledge and just want to make sure I am making a good purchase- looking for a pretty stone with lots of sparkle. Any thoughts on whether this is good value?
GIA 2161885022, .94 carat, RB G SI2, excellent cut, 62% depth, 57% table-$4700 CA. I worry about purchasing without actual pictures of the diamond -that seems a real benefit of the JA website- the report indicates crystal and cloud
Thanks in advance for any input- hoping to purchase this week

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It scores a 3.7 on the HCA, which says that it's ok if price is right, but we are advised to reject diamonds that score over 2 on the HCA if we want one with a great cut.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Thank you tourmaline for your response- I will keep looking- I don't have a great understanding of the HCA so appreciate your comment

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA is located at the top of the page under tools. You can insert table, depth, crown and pavilion angles of a stone. It is used primarily as a rejection tool; anything scoring under a 2 is worthy of further consideration with idealscope or ASET images.

Try using these parameters for a selecting a stone:

Depth no greater than 62
Table 54-57
Crown angle 34-35
Pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a quick look at James Allen, and here's a possible candidate priced at $4,502 CAD - it is a 0.83ct H-VS2 round which faces up at 6mm and has strong blue fluorescence (which if anything may serve to further "whiten/brighten" the diamond in certain lighting conditions).

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.83-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-673672

It scores a "1.3-Excellent within TIC range," with Excellents for Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation; and a Very Good for Spread.

You will note the table is 59% and the depth is 61.4% - this makes this diamond a very well-cut "60/60" type diamond - here's more info on 60/60 diamonds - https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

I think this 0.83ct H-VS2 is a sound prospect, but for sure, if you provide your diamond prereqs (budget, color, clarity, carat preferences), PSers will be able to find more options for you to consider.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses- I learn from every post- so lucky to have found pricescope :)

I would like to keep the stone around $5500 CA but there is some wiggle room.

I was hoping for a .94-1 carat stone, RB, SI2 or better (eye clean), H or better and very good cut.IAm planning to purchase as soon as I find the right stone.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
I must be using the HCA incorrectly? I put in all the parameters in the diamond I originally posted and it came back at 1? 62.3 depth, 57 table 36< crown and 40.5< pavilion

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pkkq|1446410773|3944573 said:
I must be using the HCA incorrectly? I put in all the parameters in the diamond I originally posted and it came back at 1? 62.3 depth, 57 table 36< crown and 40.5< pavilion

I also ran the HCA tool for the 1st diamond you posted, and the result was 3.7 - but I am reading the GIA cert to show a 40.8% pavilion ... if in fact the GIA cert reads 40.5%, then I agree the HCA score would be "1.0-Excellent within FIC range"

As an aside, I will caution you that a SI2 diamond listing crystal as the first inclusion is most probably not eyeclean.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Thank you Marymm, you are absolutely right-I read it wrong. Yes, that was my worry, with crystal being listed first. I think I may stick to JA for the diamond selection so I can see magnified pics of the stones

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Now that I am familiar with the HCA tool, I have added this as an additional criteria to my search. Any thought on the below three stones? All score less than 2 on the HCA
- thanks for any input
image_3959.jpg
image_3958.jpg image_3956.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results