shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this shady?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laura27

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I''m new to this site but I''m seeking advice. I''m currently out of state with my boyfriend as he works on the road. I had taken my right hand ring to get it sized at a local jeweler and when I picked it up today decided to browse their selection of e-rings. They had a 1.27 carat round solitaire in a tiffany style setting. While i didn''t like the setting I did like the size of the diamond. I asked the girl if I could loupe it and saw a pretty big inclusion. I then viewed it from the side and it was eye visible....I really didn''t want an eye visible inclusion but was thinking since it was on the side no one would really notice and it''s not like I would point it out. Now here''s my question. When I asked what color it was she didn''t know so she got the jeweler. He held it up and and quickly told me it was a H and SI1 or 2 can''t remember. When I inquired what the cut was I was informed it was a round. DUH I then asked what the quality of the cut was, if it was excellent and so forth. He told me it was not excellent but didn''t tell me what it was. I thought it was strange that he just held the diamond up to tell me the color and didn''t know the cut. Does this sound shady? The price for the diamond was about 4100, which my soon to be fiance thought was a little too much if had eye visible flaws. I told him that I wanted no less than a H, VS2,1.00-1.25 carat, and very good cut and that we were budgeting no more than 6k for the diamond. He assured me that he could find one. I''m kind of leary to do business with him, do you think I should be? Also would like to know if you think I''ll be able to find the diamond I want for the price we set. I''m wanting a 3mm pave band with a simple 6 prong setting. Will it possible to find what I want for no more than 8k total? Thanks!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Laura! I don''t have enough information about this jeweler to evaluate the situation, but why don''t you have a look at www.whiteflash.com a reputable pricescope vendor to get an idea of what IS good quality and price. I''d suggest looking at their ACA branded round cut. It''s a fail safe way of getting a standardized cut. I''m sure a lot of people other than me can give you great advice. I''ll just say that you should stick around pricescope for a while before making any decision. You can learn a lot in a short amount of time!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Yep. That price is very low for a well cut H VS2 of that size. I will try and find some well cut stones in the parameters you are looking for. It will give you an idea of what you should be paying for a really well cut, sparkly diamond.

ETA - 1ct ish H VS2 ACA, just over $6k. A 1.25ct would be a fair bit more I would say:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982320.htm

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope, Most rings sold today come with some sort of grading lab reports also called certificates. I am guessing that this ring may have traded in to the jeweler. Hence no cert, and poor bit of salesmanship. The size is attractive for the price BUT, no cert, no color or clarity grade and no CUT grade. To me, that just means no sale for any price. I would recommend that you look at Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, High Performance Diamonds, James Allen. Please notice the Pricescope your Diamond box above. Then you can see for yourself comparable diamonds are sold for. Some SI-1 are eyeclean, some are not, so please don''t let one diamond which is not accurately graded spoil you idea of that clarity grade. Please find an independent appraiser when you do purchase your engagement ring. Mean while just keep reading the tutorials. Hope this helps and luck hunting. Yes, sure you should be able to find a very beautiful diamond thru a pricescope vendor.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t call what you experienced as shady, just a jeweler who is not extremely knowledgeable about his stock, or professional in his demeanor. That is not totally uncommon, unfortunately. I would suggest trying other jewelers, if you''d like to purchase locally. You will know when you find the right one.

If you don''t want to do a ton of "homework" on diamonds, it would help to look for someone who carries AGS graded stones. An AGS0 will take a lot of guess work out, and help you get a nice stone. They may carry a slight premium though. If you are open to learning about the ins and outs of diamonds, you came to the right place, and that can help you maximize your purchase. There''s a world of info here you can arm yourself with! And some posters shopping locally have found "virtual" stones listed with online vendors that a local jeweler has either matched in price, or come close to. So that could be an option as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2009 7:05:19 AM
Author: Ellen
I wouldn''t call what you experienced as shady, just a jeweler who is not extremely knowledgeable about his stock, or professional in his demeanor. That is not totally uncommon, unfortunately. I would suggest trying other jewelers, if you''d like to purchase locally. You will know when you find the right one.

If you don''t want to do a ton of ''homework'' on diamonds, it would help to look for someone who carries AGS graded stones. An AGS0 will take a lot of guess work out, and help you get a nice stone. They may carry a slight premium though. If you are open to learning about the ins and outs of diamonds, you came to the right place, and that can help you maximize your purchase. There''s a world of info here you can arm yourself with! And some posters shopping locally have found ''virtual'' stones listed with online vendors that a local jeweler has either matched in price, or come close to. So that could be an option as well.
Ditto the above!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
You could probably come down in clarity to SI1 and still get the eyeclean experience you are looking for. You can pay quite a premium for clarity.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 7:14:34 AM
Author: LaraOnline
You could probably come down in clarity to SI1 and still get the eyeclean experience you are looking for. You can pay quite a premium for clarity.

I agree, if you go down to an SI1 eye clean, you can get a bigger stone, and when is set in the ring, will be the same look like an VS1

Laura27

Rough_Rock
Well I have done quite a bit of research and read the tutorial on Gold Old Gold. So I thought that I was a little more informed than the average buyer. I thought that to determine the color he would have had to check a cert or compare it to some master stones. I just didn''t know if his "trained eye" was that good. I kind of felt like he just didn''t want to deal with me since I was a young woman and my significant other wasn''t with me. Like I was wasting his time or something. I definitely won''t be going back since the only time he was friendly was after I had mentioned the budget. Has anyone dealt with Union Diamond? I found their website through another called Diamond Helpers. They (diamond helpers) have a tutorial set up and rate online stores and this was rated very high...and all of their customer feedback sounds really good too. I found one on there that seems to meet all of my requirements. I''m just not sure if I want to buy online...I''m the kind of person that likes to see something in person before I commit to it. But, if I can get a better diamond for a better price I''ll definitely buy online.

Stock Number AB199771
Certificate: EGL
Shape: Round
Cut: Premium
Carat: 1.25
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Regular Price: $5364
Wire Transfer Price: $5208

Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 6.94-6.92-4.24
Depth Percentage: 61.2 %
Table Percentage: 59 %
Girdle: M
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None (Inert)
Special Notes: Beautiful Cut

While I don''t know much about the depth or table percentages I think these are pretty good. I''m not sure about the girdle. Could someone please help me out on that one? What do ya''ll think? Thanks for all the advice and links!

futuremrsT

Rough_Rock
While I am no expert, I do have experience shopping online with James Allen. My fiance purchased my ering there and I am very pleased with the deal we received. You can actually view the diamond you are purchasing under a microscope via the web to reveal any flaws/inclusions, etc. Although my diamond is cushion shaped, my fiance paid under 5k for my 1.02ct, E, VS2, Ideal...I know round diamonds cost a bit more but I think you can still find something under 6k. Based on the specs you posted, if an H is fine with you, I really think you''ll be able to find a great deal at JamesAllen.com. You know what the selling point was for me? That I have a lifetime upgrade guareentee...so trust me I''m going to upgrade to a 2ct when we''re ballin
emteeth.gif

Good Luck!

raz91

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 4:24:06 AM
Author: Laura27
Well I have done quite a bit of research and read the tutorial on Gold Old Gold. So I thought that I was a little more informed than the average buyer. I thought that to determine the color he would have had to check a cert or compare it to some master stones. I just didn''t know if his ''trained eye'' was that good. I kind of felt like he just didn''t want to deal with me since I was a young woman and my significant other wasn''t with me. Like I was wasting his time or something. I definitely won''t be going back since the only time he was friendly was after I had mentioned the budget. Has anyone dealt with Union Diamond? I found their website through another called Diamond Helpers. They (diamond helpers) have a tutorial set up and rate online stores and this was rated very high...and all of their customer feedback sounds really good too. I found one on there that seems to meet all of my requirements. I''m just not sure if I want to buy online...I''m the kind of person that likes to see something in person before I commit to it. But, if I can get a better diamond for a better price I''ll definitely buy online.

Stock Number AB199771

Certificate: EGL

Shape: Round

Cut: Premium

Carat: 1.25

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

Regular Price: $5364

Wire Transfer Price: $5208

Diamond Proportions:

Measurements: 6.94-6.92-4.24

Depth Percentage: 61.2 %

Table Percentage: 59 %

Girdle: M

Culet: None (Pointed)

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None (Inert)

Special Notes: Beautiful Cut

While I don''t know much about the depth or table percentages I think these are pretty good. I''m not sure about the girdle. Could someone please help me out on that one? What do ya''ll think? Thanks for all the advice and links!

EGL grades a little more loosely than GIA or AGS. An EGL VS2 is very frequently a GIA/AGS SI1 or SI2. I''d stick with GIA/AGS certified diamonds if possible. If not, you should post the crown/pavilion angles of the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results