shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting sturdy enough for a 2 carat oval? The thickness would be 2mm (the pics is 1.5).

This setting freaks me out - four prongs, no basket, no donut and a fairly thin band. One single point of contact and that head can be sheered off; and if a prong gets bent or moved…

I would opt for at least a basket and 6 prongs; preferably with a donut or more contact with the band if possible. Peg head settings freak me out. 2mm band is the min thickness imo that is acceptable for a ring meant for daily wear.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the example you showed here is an accident waiting to happen for a 2 carat stone, oval or not. If you plan to wear it at all, i‘d look for a head that has a larger connection point to the ring, more integrated, or even set into the shank.

If the head is built to the stone, how is it a one-piece build, and not soldered to the ring?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have thought so, too, but the pic looks like a peg head.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It could be a "one piece build" if it is CAD designed, printed in wax and then cast in "one piece". My per0osnal feeling is that would fit the custom fit and one piece situations, but it looks overly delicate for durability and security of the diamond. Sorry, but I'd want more strength.

If the ring is made of hand forged wire or somehow die struck in a single unit, maybe it might be strong enough, but both of those options don't appear to be what is going on with this ring. It looks like the 4 prong head is attached to the shank by some soldering or welding process. It may also have a pin inside the shank. Still, that isn't a "one piece" build for the entire ring.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
even if it is a 1 piece build, say 3D printed or something, the head looks like it could be damaged with a good whack. i'd want something with more contact between the head and the band personally.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
@bk1229 There was a thread here years ago concerning a ring with four prongs and no connection (basket?) between the prongs, such as this setting has. The diamond came loose or fell out, I can't remember, very soon after the ring was received, and after a seemingly mild bump of the hand.
I do like the clean look of just 4 prongs; unfortunately, it doesn't seem sturdy enough. :cry:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the example you showed here is an accident waiting to happen for a 2 carat stone, oval or not. If you plan to wear it at all, i‘d look for a head that has a larger connection point to the ring, more integrated, or even set into the shank.

If the head is built to the stone, how is it a one-piece build, and not soldered to the ring?
I don’t know much about construction but real question for experts. How is this accomplished without soldering? Thank you.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without soldering, the ring could be CAD designed and printed as a single wax piece. Once you have a wax, the single piece might be cast in precious metal. It still would have the weakness problems associated with casting. Hand forged or die struck items are stronger generally, but nether would be made of just one piece. It could be created with a complex die, but if would be inordinately costly unless the item was going to be mass produced. You don't make a die for a custom item made just once or a couple of times.

aisa901

Rough_Rock
I would also argue that setting isn't substantial enough. I have a 1.62 carot oval and am a big fan of the minimalist metal look, so I opted for this type of basket, but with slightly bigger pedals for even more coverage. These were my inspiration pics, I have side stones though, so as others mentioned earlier, I'm not sure that a 2 carot without any other connection points would be safe in just a basket. You can see with the green stone they added some additional support with a cathedral (?) type arm, perhaps something to consider. Screenshot_20201114-141145_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20201114-141151_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210103-110650_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210103-110645_Instagram.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You definitely need a better setting design. Please ignore all the pave diamonds on this ring, but it is a beautiful and safe design. The little doughnut (circle) base would be smaller with a 2 ct stone and without pave, so don't worry about that. Then you'd have 4 beautiful claw prongs on the top. (photo from Steven Kirsch)

1625443631687.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results