shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting dangerous to the diamond? Help!

acijle3

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I recently received a halo engagement ring which I love, but I am becoming paranoid about the way it is set. I am worried that the diamond could be damaged because the bottom is completely exposed (sorry I don't know the right terminology). I am especially concerned that a wedding band would rub up against the diamond and damage it. Should I look into getting some sort of a basket added? If so, please let me know what you what recommend. Thank you!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no, I think it should be fine. a wedding band would not touch the culet, so no worries there.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should be fine. When you try wbs just make sure it is low profile enough, and the shank of the e-ring wide enough, that the wb is not touching the culet. There are lots of rings with similar designs, it is most likely totally fine.

Just insure it for peace of mind ;))

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto the above. If the wedding band touches the diamond I would be a little concerned, but it would be the band not the diamond that I would expect to be damaged by this. The jeweler who makes the band should be able to do it in a way that prevents any problems.

acijle3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I still think it could present an issue although it is hard to tell from the photos I posted. I will try and post another photo with a band I have at home to better illustrate this.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1304970825|2916528 said:
Ditto the above. If the wedding band touches the diamond I would be a little concerned, but it would be the band not the diamond that I would expect to be damaged by this. The jeweler who makes the band should be able to do it in a way that prevents any problems.
See bold part above.
Neil is spot on.
There are bands where you might get diamond to diamond contact but by careful selection or design it can be avoided.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results